• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

.Water and oil mixing

Reylocs

Got all the gaskets and O rings this morning. Put it all back together and it works just fine. Yes all the junk was on the water side. Total cost 23 bucks.

Thanks for everyones help

Shawn

Reylocs

After running the engine for two hours I checked the oil and we have water in the oil again. So today I did a pressure check on the coolant system. Because I didnt have the correct cap for the radiator, I eliminated the radiator and put 20 lbs of pressure on the engine. The engine held pressure for 6 hrs. Could this be happeneng only when the engine is running and hot? Also, it just rained here for 4 straight days, could rain be getting into the engine somehow? What else should I check?

Thanks

Dickjr.

If it had a fair amount of water in the oil your gonna have to change it several times to get the engine clean. When you had the pan off and pressure checked it the engine block was cold, when they heat up sometimes thats when these little leaks decide to open up. From what I've read you have two options : replace cylinder sleeve O ring and head gasket or put in Bars stop leak and run it. Pull the valve cover and see if there is a lot of white oilly stuff in there. If it has several hours on it , I'd pull the valve cover and check for moisture and clean it out , drop the pan and clean all that real well. Put in a cheap oil run it an hour or so , change it to a good oil put the Bars stop leak in run it like 4 hours to allow the sealer to work. And run it for 20 hours or so and keep an eye on it. If the problem persists its time to take it down.

Reylocs

I assume it must be something happening when the engine gets hot. if I choose to use a sealer, should I use a radiator sealer or a block sealer? I asked that question because I'm not sure how block sealer works ugh with the o'rings at the bottom of the cylinder sleeves.

Reylocs

It seems to be a very small amount of water and I just don't know how to tell where Is comIng from. I have had pressure in the cylinder block for 8 hours now. I put 20 pounds in it and it has lost 1 pound in 8 hours. I just cannot tell where this weekend. Does anyone have any more suggestions as to how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks

Reylocs

Can I bypass the engine oil Cooler and run the machine for a day without doing any harm. To eliminaTe if iT's The cooler or noT.

JWJDM

I would move pistons into different positions more enlikely pin hole in liner and piston is covering it. Pull motor over by hand.

Dickjr.

It takes a small amount of water to milk the oil. From the way it sounds , I'd put it together and use the Bars stop leak. Just be prepared to change that oil 3 to 5 times to clean out the engine. I know IH in Louisville would put stop leak in tractors when the filled them with coolant before shipping out. ( you wouldn't believe what else). If the problem persists after this then we know what to do, Remove & rebuild. One other thing you may do , retorque the head . Follow procedure in the manuel. Some do it warm so don't but they all have a pattern. This tractor is early 80's?

syndy

Occupation
Retired
I would move pistons into different positions more enlikely pin hole in liner and piston is covering it. Pull motor over by hand.

I agree with JWJDM. Before junking the cooling system up with anything find the leak as it could produce more problems just when you don't need them. I would also make up a test radiator cap so you can test it hot. You may not have a leak when cold.

JWJDM

Stop leak is temporary fix and does more damage in long term. If you are keeping machine need to fix if you are selling machine go with stop leak.

JeremiahSr

Occupation
Vice Pres./General man./Technician
Pull the pistons and check liners. Electrolisys (spellinmg?) has ate into liners and o-rings. This is the answer for me on JD engines every time. You already had enough time to rebuild engine with new piston/liner kits by now and would have been done with it.

Reylocs

Today I noticed pure water dripping from breather line. I decided to remove valve cover and there is this greasy white stuff coating the top of valve cover. The cheesy looking stuff is an inch thick. Where is all this coming from. The engine held 15 pounds of air pressure all nighT long. How do I clean all tHe stuff out of my engine? Just changing the oil isn't going to do it how do I clean it out. . EvEry timE I changE thE oil it gEts whitE again. I'm sure it's from all this cheesy stuff in the engine. The cooler was leaking and I fix ThaT maybe my problem is solved. And I just hAve to cleAn out all this gunk. I really need some advice with this 1. And thAnks for everyone's help so fAr.

Dickjr.

Remove oil pan and get a air suction nozzle . Get 10 gallons of diesel . If this doesn't cut it at first get about 10 cans of carb cleaner then go with the diesel. When it gets clean take an oiler and oil the top end of the engine. You will have to look and make sure the cam and followers are clean then go under and look in the crank case probably blow it out with the fuel also. A little water causes a lot of cheese. I'd lay money on the cooler myself especially since you said the seals looked bad. Don't be afraid to put a can of Bars stop leak in it either, if it would ruin your engine you can sue them. If it were a brand new build then maybe not. That stuff lubricates pump seals and will remove negative corrosives. Sounds like you got this one by the sac now.

Reylocs

Why would there be water dripping out the breather? It seems like its condensation. As to the amount dripping, after about 15 min. There was about 30 or so drops. That seems like a lot. Why is all this water dripping out the breather?

Thanks

Reylocs

Could the thermostat be not working and allowing the engine to run too cold making condensation?

Reylocs

Ive been up all night reading about this mayonaise looking stuff that is in my engine. Some say it cound be from blowby in the cylinders. (We have a turbo on this engine.) Some say it could be a blown head gasket. Im feeling quite bad about what it could be, and how long the previous owner probably ran it with water in the oil. I can do the rebuild myself if I have too. The machine is old and I worty what will be next. The only positive is I can do mechanics stuff myself, its the troubleshooting im poor at thanks to everyone here.

Would a compression test be the next thing to maybe try?

Thanks again

Wick

Occupation
Heavy vehicle mechanic/engineer
G'day Reylocks,

I have diagnosed and repaired the same problem in JD tractor engines in the past that had the same symptoms you mention and as JWJDM and JeramiahSR previously suggested it has been pinholes in the liners caused by cavitation errosion usually 1/3 to 1/2 way down on the thrust side of the liner usually caused by lack of use of corrosion inhibitor in the cooling system at some stage of the engines life, it may be hard to detect with a pressure test as the pistons or rings can cover the pin hole at rest, my advice is to pull down the engine and pull the liners as previously suggested, I would almost guarantee you will find a hole. The reason you are seeing water drip out of the breather is that when the engine is running and everything is warm the oil absorbs the water to saturation point then when left to cool down the water condenses out of the oil and drips.

bite the bullet and do what you know ya got to do.

Cheers