• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wabco scrapers at work

graemets3

Wabco 353FT.

Images of Wabco 353FT taken at Prospect, New South Wales, Australia, in 1991. I am 5'11'', so she certainly is a big old girl. On this day it was accompanied on the job with a fleet of Wabco 333FT's, Cat 657B's and a Terex TS-24 Loadrunner. Scraper heaven.
There were four Australian deliveries of 353FT's. Two went to Christmas Island, the others to New South Wales. To my knowledge one is still being operated.

Last edited:

WabcoMan

Occupation
Heavy equipment parts manager
Another one for y'all

Stripping in an opencast coal mine, Waikato, New Zealand 1976

Attachments

• duckbros.jpg
    duckbros.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 4,727

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Don't let me distract from this Wabco scraper thread, but I have a question for you Wabco guys. We purchased several compressors to re-sell, one is a Wabco 600. I don't know about around the world, but here in the states, it seems it's mandatory that all compressors are required to have a demolition ball and a few boulder destroy the body panels of them. This Wabco 600 is an exception. I know this thing has to be early 1970's, but it's in incredibly good shape. The 6V-71 runs great. We're going to fix it up and paint it. Which leads me to my question; does anyone out there have any original pics of the decals or markings of this machine? When we get finished with it, I'd like to post a pic of it for you Wabco guys.

Last edited:

Jim Irwin

Any photo and update on a Wabco 353 FT would be greatly appreciated.
I would love to see one working, i have a 252 FT and its great to work and watch.

Cheers
Jim

malcolm

wabcos still working

101 still working down under 30 odd years later enjoy malcolm

Attachments

• DSCN0349.jpg
    DSCN0349.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 4,155
  • DSCN0351.jpg
    DSCN0351.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 4,074

weaknees

Occupation
Earthmoving Contractor
Hey stretch,
The high looking ROPS is just a consequence of the height of the operator's....backside. The 101F (504 cummins V8, Clark auto, 9yd bowl) and the later 101G (same power plant, 11 yd bowl, see attached pics of my two working girls and my "spare".) had good allround visibility for the operator as a priority. The International E211 had a similar high seating point, though you had to look around the straight six diesel (407 T, I think), instead of sitting over the Wabco engine.

Attachments

• 3 sisters 001 (Small).jpg
    3 sisters 001 (Small).jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 3,983
  • 19 March 2008 001 (Small).jpg
    19 March 2008 001 (Small).jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 3,978

malcolm

101s

Hi I liked your photos weaknees especialy the gum tree in the back ground what is the frame over the bowl arms on the G dont remember that cheers malcolm

weaknees

Occupation
Earthmoving Contractor
Hi Steve,
Ambient + 10 deg C! - I had a good air con in my first machine, but I hated to give up 10 hp just to be comfortable, so I pulled it off. Scraper driving in summer isn't supposed to be a cake walk, thats why the pay is good, and with the door open during the travel and dump, it is bearable. Even when it is 45 deg C outside, and over 50 in the cab, like it was today! Upside is it is cosy in the winter.
-Steve

weaknees

Occupation
Earthmoving Contractor
Hi Malcolm,
well spotted - the frame is my addition, to center mount a heavy powered laser mast I used for a while in the 80's. I am going to pull it off when I get a chance as I don't use it anymore, and it makes me over width on the low loader.
-Steve

weaknees

Occupation
Earthmoving Contractor
As if I wasn't busy enough, I put in a low offer on an old C pull 21 yd Let-W wrecked on a hillside across the valley from me last winter (wet winters - they always get me into trouble, and I felt sorry for the old thing).

Needless to say because I didn't need it, my bid was eventually accepted, so I lived next to it for a few weeks while I resurrected it to mobile - getting to meet the notorious 8V-71 GM in the process..

It had worked on construction of Keepit Dam (late '50's, early 60's), then local earthmoving, until it's diff was stripped circa 1973 for rebuild. That never happened as the new pinion shafts were the wrong spline, and the farmer who owned it got old and lost heart (which will happen to me soon enough).

Here is a before and after pic - for your entertainment - and yes, I drove it out of its grave, then about 10k - quite an experience, to a mate's shed, where I will continue working on the electrics to get it fully operational.

Attachments

• 6 Apr 08 110 (Small).jpg
    6 Apr 08 110 (Small).jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 3,873
  • 27 July 08 002 (Small).jpg
    27 July 08 002 (Small).jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 3,866

stretch

Occupation
gopher
Thanks weaknees, guess I wasn't looking hard enough to notice the engine location. :Banghead

Thanks for more pics, and keep it up with the C, it's sure looking good!:notworthy

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
I have to hand it to you weaknees, you are not afraid to take on a challenge. You obviously have a passion for those old girls, good on you. What sort of work do you do with the scrapers?
Rn'R.

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Once you get the old girl into A1 shape, you'll need to invest in some grade A hearing protection!
Alan627b

Jim Irwin

Great photos of the 101 G's. Discovered some photos on the web of a 353FT but the photos are too large to post.

Once i figure that out ill put them up.

That 353FT in NSW, is it still working i wonder?

My 252FT has such a heavy footprint, i have to be careful where i send it to work.

Jim

Showpony

We are operating 3 101fs and a pair of 222gs, how do I get my photos posted?
I would like to see shots of a working 353. Great stuff. my brother has a shot of a 333ft in Aus with D9 ripper mounted on the rear. If I can find a way to show you guys I will.

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Last edited: