• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Vancouver Island, BC. Logging at its Best!

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
All that stuff is man made. If it makes business sense, it can all be built again.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
All that stuff is man made. If it makes business sense, it can all be built again.
It is man-made for sure but you could never afford to have a brand-new Slackline yarder built in this day and age. It would be six to eight million dollars to have one built. Your payments would be eighty thousand bucks a month on that machine. There is no way anybody could afford $4,000 a day just for the payment on a yarder.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Have the guylines been run out with spar leaning back rather than standing straight?
They are in the process of standing the tube up and they have the guy lines laid out. Once it is stood up they will connect all the guy lines and then telescope it up.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Your payments would be eighty thousand bucks a month on that machine. There is no way anybody could afford $4,000 a day just for the payment on a yarder.

They could if the wood went up a commensurate amount.

I agree those monster machines are going away, just like horses and steam. There will always be a need and somehow we will invent more efficient ways to keeping getting the trees cut down and out of the woods. Ten years ago did you ever think you would be tethering off a machine and sending it over the edge to cut and process?

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
I agree if we were getting $4,000 per load of logs then we can afford to do something like that but we are not and we will never see a point in time in the future where we do. And yes 10 years ago I was lowering down over the edge have a hill in a logging machine that was tethered off. We just had an operator sitting in the seat of the cat up top with a radio to help assist me back up the hill when I was ready to come up.
I know everything has life cycles but some things you just cannot get away from. There will always be a choker Setter for some units and there will always be a need for big yarders in places.

They could if the wood went up a commensurate amount.

I agree those monster machines are going away, just like horses and steam. There will always be a need and somehow we will invent more efficient ways to keeping getting the trees cut down and out of the woods. Ten years ago did you ever think you would be tethering off a machine and sending it over the edge to cut and process?

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 1st picture is Rob Norman sitting next to the retired "Old HighBaller" Jack Cottrill 2nd picture HBO Log Haul Department at Honeymoon Bay . 3rd picture is the Camp Tireman Dan Reid , if Dan wasn't the best Tireman on the Coast , he ran a close second . 4th picture DLS Mechanic Doug Knott working on one of the Tri drive Western Stars .scan473.jpg scan474.jpg scan475.jpg scan476.jpg

Skeans1

I agree if we were getting $4,000 per load of logs then we can afford to do something like that but we are not and we will never see a point in time in the future where we do. And yes 10 years ago I was lowering down over the edge have a hill in a logging machine that was tethered off. We just had an operator sitting in the seat of the cat up top with a radio to help assist me back up the hill when I was ready to come up.
I know everything has life cycles but some things you just cannot get away from. There will always be a choker Setter for some units and there will always be a need for big yarders in places.
Or B those area maybe left for buffers or carbon credits.

camptramp

Occupation
Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. May 2002 1st picture John Bell standing by a new truck #41-152 Western Star Tri Drive . 2nd picture Rob Norman standing by #41-113 a Western Star Tri Drive 3rd & 4th pictures are Timberwest HBO western Star trucks lined up at the Honeymoon Bay DLS . Note the lack of logs . A clause in an agreement between Timberwest and the B.C. Forest Service concerning TFL #46 that tied the Timber supply to the Youbou Saw mill had disappeared. It didn'scan477.jpg scan478.jpg scan479.jpg scan480.jpg t take long for Timberwest to shut down the Youbou Saw Mill . As there was no reason to continue to sort the logs at Honeymoon Bay DLS , it also was shut down . The Off Highway Log Trucks were parked (Except for Trucks used for Lowbed moves) and replaced with Highway Log Trucks .

camptramp

Occupation
Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. 2002 1st & 2nd pictures #40-140 P16 Pacific with lowbed 7280 Cypress Log scan489.jpg scan490.jpg scan491.jpg scan492.jpg Loader on lowbed #40-96 P16 Pacific push truck . Dave Whiskin & loader operator Brian Scholz in picture . 3rd & 4th picture is #40-139 P16 Pacific with lowbed #54-85 075 Madill log loader on lowbed at Gordon River Shop .

camptramp

Occupation
Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. June 28 2002 The last Wagoner log stacker on the lowbed about to leave to meet a barge at Sarita River 2rd picture Rolli Auger , Rob Wilson , Tom Worth . Dave Janzen , Dennis (Digger) Fothergil Doug Knott and Wes Mckehnie 3rd picture Rolli Auger , Dave Janzen , Doug Knott and Dave Whiskin . The end of the DLS , the end of an era . The attitude and changes made to Timberwest by the people behind the Mahogany Desks in town has trickled down to the crew in Camp , these are the last pictures Dave took at HBO ! scan493.jpg scan494.jpg scan495.jpg scan496.jpg

petepilot

Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. June 28 2002 The last Wagoner log stacker on the lowbed about to leave to meet a barge at Sarita River 2rd picture Rolli Auger , Rob Wilson , Tom Worth . Dave Janzen , Dennis (Digger) Fothergil Doug Knott and Wes Mckehnie 3rd picture Rolli Auger , Dave Janzen , Doug Knott and Dave Whiskin . The end of the DLS , the end of an era . The attitude and changes made to Timberwest by the people behind the Mahogany Desks in town has trickled down to the crew in Camp , these are the last pictures Dave took at HBO ! View attachment 216277 View attachment 216278 View attachment 216279 View attachment 216280
hope this is not the last of the pics . really some eye opening scenes

camptramp

Occupation
hope this is not the last of the pics . really some eye opening scenes
At the present I'm out of pictures . I have some friends and acquaintance's I have been in contact with , who have pictures . But due to the COVID 19 virus going around , I'm staying close to home . (6 feet apart or 6 feet under) So when I feel things are better I'll see if I can get posting again .

petepilot

At the present I'm out of pictures . I have some friends and acquaintance's I have been in contact with , who have pictures . But due to the COVID 19 virus going around , I'm staying close to home . (6 feet apart or 6 feet under) So when I feel things are better I'll see if I can get posting again .
by all means stay safe ct. thanks for posting and look forward to more soon :)

Brianna Balogh