• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Vancouver Island, BC. Logging at its Best!

East of Hill 60

Dave Whiskin Collection Timberwest HBO Div. May 2002 1st picture John Bell standing by a new truck #41-152 Western Star Tri Drive . 2nd picture Rob Norman standing by #41-113 a Western Star Tri Drive 3rd & 4th pictures are Timberwest HBO western Star trucks lined up at the Honeymoon Bay DLS . Note the lack of logs . A clause in an agreement between Timberwest and the B.C. Forest Service concerning TFL #46 that tied the Timber supply to the Youbou Saw mill had disappeared. It didn'View attachment 216002 View attachment 216003 View attachment 216004 View attachment 216005 t take long for Timberwest to shut down the Youbou Saw Mill . As there was no reason to continue to sort the logs at Honeymoon Bay DLS , it also was shut down . The Off Highway Log Trucks were parked (Except for Trucks used for Lowbed moves) and replaced with Highway Log Trucks .

My dad was friends with Jack Cottrill way back when. I remember as a young kid, Jack came by our farm with his new sublime green Dodge Super Bee, I think it was 1970 or so. Dad was a mechanic and helped install a set of glass packs and a few other performance upgrades. I fondly recall riding in the backseat as we went for a test run up highway 18 which was pretty much brand new back then. It was one fast car but I don't think it lasted very long before it ended up wrapped around a pole (or maybe a tree). My dad used to refer to Jack as "a bit haywire" which was something coming from my dad. They were two peas in a pod. I really liked Jack and he was a hell of a character. Thanks for the memories...

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
My dad was friends with Jack Cottrill way back when. I remember as a young kid, Jack came by our farm with his new sublime green Dodge Super Bee, I think it was 1970 or so. Dad was a mechanic and helped install a set of glass packs and a few other performance upgrades. I fondly recall riding in the backseat as we went for a test run up highway 18 which was pretty much brand new back then. It was one fast car but I don't think it lasted very long before it ended up wrapped around a pole (or maybe a tree). My dad used to refer to Jack as "a bit haywire" which was something coming from my dad. They were two peas in a pod. I really liked Jack and he was a hell of a character. Thanks for the memories...
Jack was a character alright , anything he got in the drivers seat of was flat out immediately . If you could keep up to him , chances are you were going to fast . But he could pull it off . One time he missed a switch back with the #40-131 (formerly BCFP #6-261) P16 Pacific . He called the shop in a voice as cool calm as could be " I missed a switch back with the 131 she's over the bank " like he was calling in about a flat tire . He was getting on when I worked with him , and he was still tough as nails . Last time I seen him he was getting pretty crippled up , was sad to see . I hope the pains gone and he's resting in peace . Another great "Timber Beast" gone to the Berry Patch in the sky .

skyking1

Love checking in on this thread, and that you guys took cameras and the time to document this.
What is a preloader?

camptramp

Occupation
If you look along the side of the #40-139 , you can see an object hanging down from the outside of the front bunk . What you can see is a "Preload leg " . The front bunk is attached to the back bunk on trailer by a steel tube called a reach There is a hydraulic ram under the front bunk on that log truck , there is also a fifth wheel table on top of that ram . Attached to the under side of the center of the front bunk is a "King Pin" that is locked to the fifth wheel table . The ram is used to lift the front bunk up high enough allow the preload legs (That are held in the up position with a simple heavy pin ) to be swung down and a pin placed to hold it in down position . The front bunk is lowered , the foot on the bottom of preload leg sits on the ground . Air and water lines unhooked , the locking device on Fifth wheel Table released . The log truck can leave an empty or loaded trailer sitting on landing or wide place on side of road and hook up to the lowbed trailer or another logging trailer . On a conventional logging truck the front bunk is permanently attached to the frame of the log truck . The trailer reach is hooked to the back of the truck frame . Once a conventional log truck is loaded the logs are there until they are dumped , the truck can not be separated from trailer .

skyking1

Thanks I would not have picked up on that detail otherwise. I have been around conventional bunk trucks and know they usually go into a shop to get ready to do lowboy duties, etc. That sounds really handy.
I am familiar with how a road truck reach works, how the stinger floats and how you can tune it so it tracks corners like magic, it seems.
We want to travel the island when we retire, hopefully I can stand next to some of those trucks.

Last edited:

camptramp

Occupation
Art Nickerson Collection #6-139 P16 Pacific at 3000 Harris Cr. 1994 scan019.jpg scan020.jpg Note old Hayes HDX in back ground . That's one of Caycuse's old trucks , I'm sure that was the Hayes HDX that Island Pacific Logging painted up for Alberni's Hayes days a few years ago .

Last edited: