• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Vancouver Island, BC. Logging at its Best!

Sprengstoff

You can't see it but theres a deep gorge of a canyon in the timber ,I wish I had a picture of the finished bridge , it was a major accomplishment to build and an impressive bridge to cross.

is the the one that is just off gordon main?
That's my favourite rock dropping bridge.

dirty4fun

Seeing that excavator picked up and being sent across like that is truly amazing. Guess when you get the right people around, they can engineer just about anything. Not sure of the size excavator but had no idea that they could pick up a load like that. Must of had some good brakes to hold it back going down hill like that. Just can't get enough of the pictures you people have been so good to share. Hope you all have a good Thanksgiving Day!

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Seeing that excavator picked up and being sent across like that is truly amazing. Guess when you get the right people around, they can engineer just about anything. Not sure of the size excavator but had no idea that they could pick up a load like that. Must of had some good brakes to hold it back going down hill like that. Just can't get enough of the pictures you people have been so good to share. Hope you all have a good Thanksgiving Day!
The crew that rigged the system up are the product of mentors like riggers Fred Mcmurray Jack Messer Morris Trembly Bob Robertson Blondie Moxness Blain Hanna . If you look at the rigging ,they used two skylines and a block purchase on a spreader log to raise it . Everthing is a little over built to ensure nothing fails ,these guys take a challenge like this and just do it . Unfortunetly most of these fellows have left the industry ,and along with them goes their skills and work ethics .

Sigurd

Camptramp What size of excavator could this be, 25-30 tons? I notice they have blocks in front and rear of undercarriage,did they use the haulback on the front block, and what about the rear one? Which drum did this rope go to..
Thanks for pics and stories
Sigurd

camptramp

Occupation
Camptramp What size of excavator could this be, 25-30 tons? I notice they have blocks in front and rear of undercarriage,did they use the haulback on the front block, and what about the rear one? Which drum did this rope go to..
Sigurd
I really don't know that much about excavators so I would only be guessing at the weight. The straps or slings that cratle the machine pass between the inner tracks and the track rails ,the 10x12 in. timbers would prevent the cable from cutting its self on the medal edge of the track rail the track rollers would keep the straps properly spaced .The two skylines are spread apart to lift the excavator without damaging the top or sides .The yarder mainline has heal blocks attached to a bridle that is attached to the spreader log to raise the sky lines. The haulback off the yarder has a block purchase hooked to the excavator to snub it down the hill and the winch on the line horse is being used with a block purchase to pull it in to position on the far side of canyon.

camptramp

Occupation
scan130.jpgscan131.jpgscan132.jpgtw Timberwest HBO lowbeds #139 and #140 P16 Pacific's moving Wagner log stackers out of Honeymoon Bay DLS after it closed down in early 2000's and Div. switch from off highway log trucks to highway log trucks.

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
Sigurd

From the pictures it looks like a 590D to me, so that would be about 15 tons... Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here please...

caycusion

why can't I just copy and paste from face book and have the picture show up instead of a link?

camptramp

Occupation
I guess we'll have to change his nick name from "Horrible" to "The Mortician" . He never was one to mess around it was all or nothing.