• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Vancouver Island, BC. Logging at its Best!

dirty4fun

More great pictures you said that here is 7100 feet of skyline out in the one. Any idea of what size cable they are using, and is that in a straight line or doubled up? A 1 1/3 miles is a lot of cable to a guy that lives in the midwest that doesn't know much but is learning how all this works. At that distance do you always use a sky car? All this is so very interesting to me, thanks for sharing so many pictures.

Redwood Climber

7100 Feet, That's Longspan for Sure

Welcome to the forum Mr Caycusion, we love your pictures, and I personally love your fight to post them here. Some of us are not the sharpest when it comes to computers, I spent a long time trying to figure it out. Tell us more about the 7100 ft longspan job. What year was this? What model of Skagit yarder? BU 98 or BU 99 ring a bell? Possibly BU 199? 1 & 3/8" or 1 & 1/2" skyline? I can't tell from the pic of the cab and tower. There are people on here who are totally obsessed with the big Skagits, and big yarders period....small yarders....ALL yarders period. Do you have the serial number of the yarder and tower? Did you work on it? Feel free to add more info on your pictures, some on here have the gift of gab....we enjoy the stories.

Don't fret too much about Contract Logger posting your pictures, he has gathered pictures (and taken thousands himself) about logging since he was a small boy. He has shared other's and offers his to share to anyone. We really appreciate all that he and everyone on here has posted. We really enjoy yours too. Thanks again for posting and again welcome. Good luck on posting the pictures!

caycusion

Not really the response I was looking for....I didn't know people cared that much....we had 3 longlines in the late 90's early 00's..all skagit two 110ft and one 120ft. 1 3/8 power pack.....had them all on one setting at one point with 7000 ft out.i'll throw up some more pics...heres the horse changing roads.224311_1038644004526_3692_n.jpg

caycusion

224241_1038644764545_9824_n.jpgYarder on top of granite....all the wood was shotgunned down to the bottom of the valley....the operator logged there for a year and never once saw a log.just sat up there in the fog and listened to the whistles.

caycusion

Welcome to the forum Mr Caycusion, we love your pictures, and I personally love your fight to post them here. Some of us are not the sharpest when it comes to computers, I spent a long time trying to figure it out. Tell us more about the 7100 ft longspan job. What year was this? What model of Skagit yarder? BU 98 or BU 99 ring a bell? Possibly BU 199? 1 & 3/8" or 1 & 1/2" skyline? I can't tell from the pic of the cab and tower. There are people on here who are totally obsessed with the big Skagits, and big yarders period....small yarders....ALL yarders period. Do you have the serial number of the yarder and tower? Did you work on it? Feel free to add more info on your pictures, some on here have the gift of gab....we enjoy the stories.

Don't fret too much about Contract Logger posting your pictures, he has gathered pictures (and taken thousands himself) about logging since he was a small boy. He has shared other's and offers his to share to anyone. We really appreciate all that he and everyone on here has posted. We really enjoy yours too. Thanks again for posting and again welcome. Good luck on posting the pictures!
why do want a serial number? did someone steal your yarder?

caycusion

207247_1006792128249_2664_n.jpgour biggest tower...bruce black at the helm.....jug kalar on loader....granite crk...b.c....7000ft of cable out.

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Great pictures ,the push off system in the back ground to dump the off highway log trucks ,used a nother stacker on this side to hold the load together ,and let the load slide off truck with minimal breakage to the logs. When I was hauling longline logs from Horrible in Hemmingston Cr. he use to pile the logs on me and the DLS crew were scared to dump me. He use to catch hell every couple of weeks for putting to big of loads on the off highway trucks.

caycusion

my old buddy bill Williams with a nice load of longline wood on don orza's truck.207779_1006792168250_3003_n.jpg

Redwood Climber

No Missing Yarder

why do want a serial number? did someone steal your yarder?

No Sir Mr. Caycusion, I did not have a yarder stolen, I gave up working on big towers January 20, 1991, and I can say that I have never gotten over missing them and the challenge they pose. There are many people on this forum that wish to keep track of these machines. They ask questions like "what year was it first sold?" or "Who bought the machine, where was it delivered?" "Who owns it now?" Hence the request for serial number. Many of these machines look alike, the serial number identifies it as a specific machine. There is a love of the old iron much like people who love classic cars, or horses, or airplanes or any of a hundred other things that we cherish. Any and all info on these machines is appreciated.

Thank you that you were smart enough to take a camera to work with you, I was not and I kick myself daily for it. Like you I got to see and do some amazing stuff that most people cannot even imagine. Thank you again and keep on posting those pictures, we love'm.

Last edited:

caycusion

no sir, i did not have a yarder stolen, i gave up working on big towers january 20, 1991, and i can say that i have never gotten over missing them and the challenge they pose. There are many people on this forum that wish to keep track of these machines. They ask questions like "what year was it first sold?" or "who bought the machine, where was it delivered?" "who owns it now?" hence the request for serial number. Many of these machines look alike, the serial number identifies it as a specific machine. There is a love of the old iron much like people who love classic cars, or horses, or airplanes or any of a hundred other things that we cherish. Any and all info on these machines is appreciated.

Thank you that you were smart enough to take a camera to work with you, i was not and i kick myself daily for it. Like you i got to see and do some amazing stuff that most people cannot even imagine. Thank you again and keep on posting those pictures, we love'm.
you nailed it...when i started everyone in camp was old and the all said the same 2 things to me.....they said i wish i had taken more pictures and they said i wish i hadn't sold that car, so i took their advice....i kept a disposable camera in a ziplock in my hardhat.

caycusion

207667_1006791968245_1390_n.jpgchasing on the longline...braden 100 CHECK OUT THE HANG-ME-DOWN FOR THE HAULBACK ON THE GUYLINE

caycusion

big fir out Renfrew way....11ft fir....pic is of second cut...they flew chokers in for the fallers so they could choke it before they bucked it. saved us digging holes....had to block purchase the tong line to pick up a 4.2 meter log.spent most of the day on that 1 tree.197959_1006413958795_9721_n.jpg