• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

union, non-union and self employed poll

union, non-union, or self employed

• Yes, I'm a union operating engineer or other union menber

Votes: 97 24.3%
  • Yes, I'm non union and I work for someone else.

Votes: 111 27.8%
  • Yes, I'm self employed

Votes: 191 47.9%

• Total voters

770G

RollOver Pete, Well Said!!!! Very very well said. I'm in a union, but not a believer for the the most part. They put me on strike for 7 weeks(I didn't cross the picket line or SCAB) but I did work else where. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do ;)

DGODGR

ROP,
I see in your sig. you are a local 12 member. I am a former local 12er myself. May I suggest that you change your avatar? I only ask because I've seen the series of photos and, while you chose a tasteful one, I still can picture that guy oozing out from under it when they hoist it off of him. Your choice obviously. I'm just requesting.

milling_drum

Occupation
asphalt mill operator (ret)
Well some differences this year. Operating engineers bent over backwards....never mind, they are short for mill operators this season and guess who shows up:)

Anyways, the current operators seem happy to accommodate, very strange considering the "rules". Local 14 years ago still in the throes of 9/11 hiring blitz that most of the BA's are now in prison for showed me alot of respect too but, ONLY because of the type of equipment and ONLY because the hall is empty. Funny how that could work lately, I seriously doubt unemployment in America has really improved despite the media and the people who believe that rubbish.

Buckethead, good to see you:), I guess we are brothers now huh? LMFAO. Funny those comments above, I didn't come anywhere near saying that about the union when I came here and you were all over me like....*coughs*

Should be a good year, election years usually are.

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
Funny those comments above, I didn't come anywhere near saying that about the union when I came here and you were all over me like....*coughs*

Milling, I can't really remember all the details of when you came here. I don't feel like searching for it. IIRC, I thought there was something inaccurate in your post that I wanted to point out. I didn't mean to seem like I was coming down on you like a ton of bricks. Anyway, that is what, 4 years ago? I would rather move past that.

milling_drum

Occupation
About 4 years or so yes, What I found funny was the fact I am in now whether I like it or not for one, and for two its only because I do things most operating engineer locals have a hard time finding. Thats what was at the core of the original comments.

I aint gonna bother looking them up either, just find it funny. Its all good.

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
What I found funny was the fact I am in now whether I like it or not for one,

I don't know why I am even responding to this. If what you say is true, you're going to make a decent living with good benefits. Maybe you should just be happy. There are a lot of people in this world who would love to trade places with you, (or even with the laborers you work with!) who would appreciate the opportunity to have those benefits.

milling_drum

Occupation
I don't know why I am even responding to this. If what you say is true, you're going to make a decent living with good benefits. Maybe you should just be happy. There are a lot of people in this world who would love to trade places with you, (or even with the laborers you work with!) who would appreciate the opportunity to have those benefits.

In order to avoid a rehash, I can pose things in a manner much more suitable to forums guidelines because in reality our differences of opinion aren't all that terrible.

Why would i have to related something that isnt true? You seem to believe I may have an agenda to mislead or that for some reason this comment lacks substance maybe due to the fact details have been omitted....whatever. Well last summer on Interstate 5 right at the washington/oregon state line, I milled 7 miles into Washington state. Its impossible to get a job running a mill in Washington state unless you are an operating engineer. At no time did an operating engineer appear to do the usual checks related to membership but if i went 7 miles from the job to Valentine resurfacing and tried to get a job it would have cost me no less than $800 just to get looked at by them. The contractor we were milling for was Granite. The mill sub, Ortiz & Associates from Sandy, Oregon.

This year back east, it cost me $19.75 to register, and a handshake. No problem. My hourly on I-5 was over $50 and hour. My hourly back east here in Ohio is around $32. A little math and common sense goes along way here if any truth is stated right?

Aight that thing with laborers, i doubt that carry's well either. My groundman was from Japan last summer running a grade control system under development for mills. We never once discussed union membership while on I-5 or any other jobs we did in Washington state last summer. Sometimes i ran the ground, sometimes he operated. He is the best groundman iv worked with possibly ever. No union involvement at all.

You seem to feel that everything involving this topic must relate directly to your particular district and when other opinions like that fellow above from Canada made concerning union personnel is given out, there you are "brother". Seems like you have difficulty accepting a few things here as it is, have you ever been to Canada? How do you know the deal there to offer an opinion?
Then to suggest benefits, im 47, iv run milling machines since 1987. I still fail to see what makes me lucky. Anybody with specialized experience can approach a union and when the bench is empty, the rules seem to be ..... Buttery.... For lack of a better term. Operating engineers are always short of mill operators, crane operators, those are two traditionally short lists. To suggest a laborer doesn't get adequate benefits or the job they do is any less significant....well, i don't know how it is where you live and it isn't fair to guess but i am not aware where the two professions denote each other, in most situations the operator can do the laborers job and the laborer can operate as well. Without each other they would have to do the job by themselves or go back to the hall telling them that isn't in your classification or job description as an engineer. See where this is leading? Oh right im lying. Guess we can't see the humour in it....i can, its hilarious. Lennon was right.

If this is at all offensive to any forum members i will encourage the mods to strike this post as soon as possible. The factual aspects of this topic remain to be of interest to us all and it is my intent to show the related values to people that are not all living in the same area and the differences which cause disagreements on these topics, if we actually sat and thought about it, it relates to the government and how the people elect the government and the laws they pass which dictate union or not. But im sure my brother Buckethead who thinks i have an agenda to lie publicly and im lucky after 20 years of running equipment will not see it like that and go full out to prove his way is the only way. Right on "brother"!

Anybody ever noticed that traditionally in election years the unions are needing additional members because the amounts of government issued contracts is a little higher than usual? Almost like they are spending every cent the budget has so the incoming administration has to aunty up few bucks to the procurement depts. I think that's hilarious too, almost like the system robs itself really....hahaha

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
If this is at all offensive to any forum members i will encourage the mods to strike this post as soon as possible.

We "mods" simply attempt to keep the forum "union/non-union" neutral. We typically don't allow these discussions, as per forum rules, in an effort to prevent the heated discussions that typically arise from such discussions. So far this thread has not degraded into the typical verbal fist fight. Given this, as long as you fellas agree to keep it civil, we'll allow the discussion to continue in this case. ;)

Last edited:

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
To suggest a laborer doesn't get adequate benefits or the job they do is any less significant

No. I was saying that a lot of people would be happy to have ANY job with benefits, whether it was your job on the milling machine or being a laborer on the ground. And a lot of guys who want to learn to run machines who would be happy to do either job. So be thankful for what you have. Again I did not mean to seem like I was attacking you or anything.

Last edited:

dirtmonkey

Occupation
dozer monkey , self employed
Self employed and in debt! Non union but pay union thug dues! With no benifits:eek: it's amazing what the IRS can get away with:D Ps no offense to hard working union guys. :)

770G

Well my union contact was up Dec/31, and I just found out things are falling apart in negotiations. They put me on strike for 7weeks, 4 years ago......I'm less than impressed!!!!!!