• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

union, non-union and self employed poll

union, non-union, or self employed

• Yes, I'm a union operating engineer or other union menber

Votes: 97 24.3%
  • Yes, I'm non union and I work for someone else.

Votes: 111 27.8%
  • Yes, I'm self employed

Votes: 191 47.9%

• Total voters

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Just wondering what the percentage of union to non, and self employed construction people are on here.

Last edited:

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
Run Heavy Equipment for a Large aggregate and concrete company. Most days are spent on an excavator stripping quarries, digging out wash pits, and anything else that is required. Dozers, loaders, and all other types of equipment also get ran as well as moving equipment or working in the shop as needed. Pays well, good insurance and I'm happy.

Trbo

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
Union/ Self Employed. I got in when I was 20 doing rental work with my backhoe, now I do mainline water and sewer, and site work.

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Family business: dozer, excavator, belly dump, end loader, water tender.
Mostly for neighbors... ponds, brush, sight prep, etc. Logged our own timber
till price went bad... Clark 967 log skidder.

Fire fighting: Fed, State gov... BIA, USFS, DNRC.

Union: AFSCMF, drive snow plow truck (seasonal) for the Montana Department of Transportation... mostly on I-90.

OCR

Twisted

Well, for my day job I am a non-union supervisor/project coordinator. All evening and weekends I am self employed operator, mechanic, welder, secretary, janitor, and quite a few I'm sure I missed.:)

Turbo21835

You forgot an all of the above option. I work for whoever pays. The union has a problem with it, too damn bad. What are you supposed to do when there is no union work, sit at home and starve?

srs_mn

Occupation
retired dirt guy
You forgot an all of the above option. I work for whoever pays. The union has a problem with it, too damn bad. What are you supposed to do when there is no union work, sit at home and starve?

I agree. Put me down for all three, too. I voted for "self employed", but I go where the work is/was... I am in a union, too.
srs_mn

hoeman600

Occupation
yellow thingy moverer
why would i pay someone to get layed off:mad: the union is just a gloryfyed temp service :IMO

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
why would i pay someone to get layed off:mad: the union is just a gloryfyed temp service :IMO

Very well stated...:iagree

A guy I worked with on a job in Ct. recently was saying the exact same thing. He got laid off from his $40.00/hr. union operators job due to slow season, and hadn't been called back yet by end of this past May. He took a non-union job where I was for exactly 1/2 what he was getting with the previous employer, but it's full time, year-round work, so it's a wash in his opinion.