• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trees, Trees, and More Trees

crane operator

Here's a close up from today. 3/4 shackle around the load line with the screw "secured" against unscrewing. Two independent tie in points in case of a failure of one you are still tied into the crane. This is per ansi Z133-17.

]

Okay, that's the way we tie in on manbasket work also. I was thrown off by your hendrix becket, you've been stealing from a dragline. :)

John Griffin

We keep filling up the chip box on our forestry bucket truck multiple times a day. Our record is 7. We chip into our f550 as well but we really like the top off so we can easily load logs. We like to load as we go vs having to deal with a pile of logs at the end. Ive been casually looking around for a bigger chip truck as we have an international 4700 we plan to do a switch and go on at some point. With those crane picks our bottleneck has become material handling.

I had one fall in my lap yesterday. Its an LT7500 sterling with a 3126 300hp/860 ft lbs and a 9 speed. We need a heavier truck to tow some of our bigger machinery. Moving an 18k lb machine with a lighter truck isnt awesome. It needs some misc repairs and was getting oil in the diesel so injector seals or injectors are in order.

0117231658b_HDR.jpg

0117231658a_HDR.jpg

0117231658c_HDR.jpg

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
That is a nice looking truck. I had a big Chevy 8500 grapple truck with a 3126 and a 10 speed. That was a good combination, and a very dependable set up for me. I also had two trucks with the 3116 and ten speeds. Both o those smaller Cat engine were great engines for my needs. Some people do not like the 3116 and 3126 Cats and call them throwaway engines. Both sizes did well for me.
Jeff

John Griffin

That is a nice looking truck. I had a big Chevy 8500 grapple truck with a 3126 and a 10 speed. That was a good combination, and a very dependable set up for me. I also had two trucks with the 3116 and ten speeds. Both o those smaller Cat engine were great engines for my needs. Some people do not like the 3116 and 3126 Cats and call them throwaway engines. Both sizes did well for me.
Jeff

I have a 3126 that has an internal problem right now but overall they have been good to me. I own 4 of them now with this new truck. They overall have been pretty reliable and get decent economy. I would buy another tomorrow. Im also a fan of dt466 engines as long as they arent asked to do more than they are suited for.

John Griffin

Got the injector seals replaced in the 3126 for the big chip truck. Well see if it fixes it. They were hard and crusty. It was putting about a quart of oil in the fuel every 50 miles.

Got a call from grove. They finally got the replacement cable installed. It fixed can hi but not can low. Im really not pleased as i tried to get the grove tech to bypass the 24v hot wire going through the bad cable and see if the problem went away. He declined. Now we have more down time as we could have ordered whatever else it need back in november.

Knepptune

Kinda confused, is the voltage off on can low. The only thing between can high and can low is your 60 ohm resistors. If you have a short to voltage or short to ground on either line it will affect both. Also it’s not super difficult to unplug nodes off the circuit one at a time to find you culprit. Unplugging one node should not take the whole circuit down. If you have one bad node it will take the whole network down however. More times then not a node will be shorted to can voltage vs a bad cable. It’s pretty easy to tell tho, you can ohm a can line to tell if it’s bad. And I’ve built more then one can network out of wiring, alligator clips, and resistors to rule out any wiring/connectors. Not anything I’m gonna take a picture of cause it didn’t look great but it works.

Did they verify the can voltage at the can driver?

John Griffin

Kinda confused, is the voltage off on can low. The only thing between can high and can low is your 60 ohm resistors. If you have a short to voltage or short to ground on either line it will affect both. Also it’s not super difficult to unplug nodes off the circuit one at a time to find you culprit. Unplugging one node should not take the whole circuit down. If you have one bad node it will take the whole network down however. More times then not a node will be shorted to can voltage vs a bad cable. It’s pretty easy to tell tho, you can ohm a can line to tell if it’s bad. And I’ve built more then one can network out of wiring, alligator clips, and resistors to rule out any wiring/connectors. Not anything I’m gonna take a picture of cause it didn’t look great but it works.

Did they verify the can voltage at the can driver?

Yeah this is all second hand from the service advisor who im not at all impressed with. I think hes used to talking to folks that dont know what a can bus is.

I personally tested to see if i had a terminating resistor that had died or gotten unhooked. I've asked repeatedly to have the tech call me back. Every time they promise but dont deliver.

It had 24v on the can line in the first place when it started having a problem. I suspected then and still do that its a control unit bleeding voltage into the can bus.

John Griffin

On a different note, got some new tire spoons so we tried them out on mounting a float for the front of the new chip truck. I have mounted a lot of 11r22.5s but never a float. It went well but that tire is really heavy.

0126231542.jpg

John Griffin

Our gmk3050 is still down with a computer problem. One of the cables in our wiring harness shorted power to the can line. It damaged the lmi module. We pulled it out and tore it down to see if it can be fixed instead of buying a $5400 module. Found a burnt resistor right off the bat. It ended up having the can bus driver blown up as well. Parts are on order. Fingers crossed this fixes it.

0209231427.jpg

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
They are tubeless so I am thinking ear muffs and eye protection at a minimum.

colson04

You really need a clip on tire chuck with a whip hose to go with those new tire spoons.

I almost blew up a tire last week with a clip on air chuck on a whip. I had a low trailer tire so I clipped on the air chuck, set regulator at 75psi, and finished loading my truck to leave my house. I've done this method plenty of times, once tire reaches 75psi, it quits filling as it is at regulated pressure. I'm not sure whether my regulator froze, or the cut off switch on compressor died, but I recognized the compressor wasn't cutting out. I ran over and shut it off and took the air chuck off the tire. It got to 140psi on a 235/75-16 tire, almost double my target. Absolutely my fault and I'm damn lucky I didn't blow it up. I bled it down and have towed about 500 miles in the past week with it without incident. Trying to be efficient with my time almost cost me a lot more time and possible injury.

John Griffin

To clarify the above picture, he is setting the pressure. We seated the bead with a clip on and a cheetah. He should still have his safety glasses actually over his eyes instead of putting them above his hat. He has clear safety glasses as well.