• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trees, Trees, and More Trees

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
One of these gadgets would a handy thing to have in your inventory.

Saw one of those driving down the road last week going home. Interesting machines for sure.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
When I see equipment like this I wish I was a 1/4 of a century younger. No matter what the economy does I don't think I'd ever be without work.

John Griffin

No doubt the sennebogens are cool. I have looked at them in detail. The ROI just isnt there for us. Ive run the numbers. They cost over $600k then you have to buy a heavy hauling truck and lowboy to haul them. You also have to pull a routed permit every time to move them here. Our trees are way to big to be taken down with one of these alone. We would still have to have a crane as well. Quite frequently our removals are in the 4 to 5 ft in diameter.

f311fr1

Have you looked at Ruthford Contractiing out of MS. they have a really neat knuckle boom / saw truck. Also Reon Rounds out of WS. Both are on you tube

skyking1

That sennebogen is cool!
Always love it when people come out to a clearing job and ask if they can help. I turn around and point behind me, you can hang out over there two tree length away.
" How can I hurt thee? Let me count the ways"

John Griffin

Ive talked to Carl Rutherford 3 or 4 times. Got to remember even though he's in a neighboring state, a lot of his trees are different from ours. He has tons of pine there. We have them but very little.

We have a local guy that bought a grapple saw. It didnt work out. He bought another one. That one almost bankrupted him as it broke down right out of the gate. His 3rd one had to have a boom rebuild shortly after purchase for $$$. I havent seen it out working so he may have gotten rid of it.

Reon Rounds has a merlo. They seem to be a good option although pricey. Same support truck required unless you can road it everywhere at 25mph. Our area does not lend itself to that. Lots of 2 lane 45 to 55 mph roads.

Last edited:

skyking1

Yeah I can see there's no shortcuts with those big hardwoods. That's why you got the bigger crane. You really needed it. It had to be both bigger and smaller lol. Nice score!

John Griffin

Everything was going good until we stopped for lunch. While just sitting idle, the lmi starting going nuts. Lost all measurements. Boom wouldn't scope in so we could pack it up even with using the override. Thankfully we were able to grt it packed down with the pendant for in case of a control failure.

We had to go get our TMS300 so we could finish the job. It took a lot more cribbing vs the gmk. So glad we still have it as this would have been very difficult without a crane.

1020221149a.jpg 1020221513_HDR.jpg 1021220939_HDR.jpg 1021221036.jpg

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Could have used some of you guys about a week or so back:
dead tree.jpg
That was a dead ash tree in the hedgerow to the East of my garage. Luckily it was leaning well away from the garage and the only thing in front of it was a corn field the farmer had harvested a week before.

Only problem was that trunk up at waist high for me was a bit over 20 inches. My little 14 inch Homelite had its work cut out for it felling and cutting to fire wood lengths. Still have about half a dozen 3 to four foot chunks to cut and split. And I left the bottom 3 feet on the stump, might trim it off flat and put a flower pot on it!

John Griffin

I just about needed a taller crane for this one. I had it rigged extremely short. I was really missing our gmk with this one. Had to just let it flop over due to all the side weight from the limbs. I would have swung the jib but we couldnt get it and the dead stick out.

FB_IMG_1666830329293.jpg

John Griffin

Took down an oak tree over a nice landscape today. This one was small enough we didnt have to use the dead stick on our tms300. 81 ft of boom is what we were working with here. Pictures are kinda deceiving. We only had about 10 ft of cable left before hitting the a2b weight while placing me in from the top of the tree.

FB_IMG_1666892033532.jpg

FB_IMG_1666892053931.jpg

1027221052.jpg1027221030_HDR.jpg