• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Transporting trailer with inoperative brakes.

Jeff D.

I can't resist chiming in on this thread with a "can't stop moment".
Just received the coveted CDL and was a new owner of a very old Mack dump truck. Was hauling a very heavy load of bank run for the first time to make a delivery. The road I decided to take was my first time on with the dump truck. Granted I have driven the road many times in a car weighing 5k pounds but never in a truck weighing over 60k lbs. I knew the hill was coming up and I knew it was steep but miscalculated how steep. At the top of the hill I decided to use 3rd gear for the decent. About half way down I realized something is very wrong and very bad things are going to happen real fast. In front of me is car following another dump truck owned by the trucking company that hired me to haul for them that day. The truck in front of me must of been in 2nd gear because he was going a lot slower than I was and no matter how hard I braked I was catching up to the car and the truck fast. My truck was blowing smoke from all the drives and the smell of brake pads burning filled the air and I was still catching the car in front. Just as I came about a foot away from ramming the car into the truck in front the truck in front decided to grab the next gear and speed up along with the car fast on his heals. I didn't hit the car but never did get the truck stopped for what seemed like eternity. I finally did manage to pull the truck over and got out of the truck and just watched the rims smoke for awhile. A motorist stopped and said "I though you had them both" meaning the car and the dump truck in front of me. I wasn't able to answer because I was still speechless. I use
2nd gear now on that hill.
Did the smell of burning brakes in the truck take forever before it finally left?

I got my brakes kinda smokey once in Colorado just after passing through the Eisenhower tunnel and heading down the hill westbound. The smell of the brakes road with me for a few days just so I wouldn't forget.:cool2

jmac

Jeff, that smell was with me for a least two days. Every time I smell it it reminds me of that day.

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
I can't resist chiming in on this thread with a "can't stop moment".
Just received the coveted CDL and was a new owner of a very old Mack dump truck. Was hauling a very heavy load of bank run for the first time to make a delivery. The road I decided to take was my first time on with the dump truck. Granted I have driven the road many times in a car weighing 5k pounds but never in a truck weighing over 60k lbs. I knew the hill was coming up and I knew it was steep but miscalculated how steep. At the top of the hill I decided to use 3rd gear for the decent. About half way down I realized something is very wrong and very bad things are going to happen real fast. In front of me is car following another dump truck owned by the trucking company that hired me to haul for them that day. The truck in front of me must of been in 2nd gear because he was going a lot slower than I was and no matter how hard I braked I was catching up to the car and the truck fast. My truck was blowing smoke from all the drives and the smell of brake pads burning filled the air and I was still catching the car in front. Just as I came about a foot away from ramming the car into the truck in front the truck in front decided to grab the next gear and speed up along with the car fast on his heals. I didn't hit the car but never did get the truck stopped for what seemed like eternity. I finally did manage to pull the truck over and got out of the truck and just watched the rims smoke for awhile. A motorist stopped and said "I though you had them both" meaning the car and the dump truck in front of me. I wasn't able to answer because I was still speechless. I use
2nd gear now on that hill.

I can fully relate, jmac.

O.K., one more before bedtime.

Around 1988, I was hauling scrap metal every day from Ct. to Reading, Pa. Had a really sharp 4964 Western Star daycab, and my buddy was doing the same thing day in and day out with a really neat 1972 Peterbilt daycab, with a 1693 425 Cat, 2 sticks, really long wheelbase, nice looking old Pete.

We both owned our trailers and trucks, and mine was getting ready for a brake job, and I was sincerely going to bring it in the shop in 3 days, on Saturday, and do a class 1 brake job on it.

We're headed south on 222 southbound, around Kutztown, Pa. maybe 15 miles from our destination. Both of us are a little heavy, but it's by the ton soooooo.....

We come off the two lane onto the 4 lane section, and start pouring the coals to these souped up Caterpillars that us two young, crazy idiots are running. Suddenly a school bus stops in the right lane to pick up a couple of kids. My buddy stops along side of it, on the left, in the left lane. I hit the brakes and hear snap, crackle, and pop...but it weren't no rice crispies...it was my trailer brakes overcamming. I'm headed for the back of his coal bucket like Grant through Richmond, no way I'm going to stop now...it's mathematically IMPOSSIBLE, even without algebra. I'm getting sick to my stomach..my beautiful Western Star...all I pictured was my grill and hood exploding on impact, fiberglass and aluminum everywhere.
At that last, seemingly lifeless moment, I grab the cb mic and yelled, Steve...GOOO!!! GOOOOO!!!! He must have sensed the urgency in my voice, because right at that magical moment, two extremely thick, dense black clouds of smoke came bellowing out of those 6" straight pipes of his, and that old 1693 made some smoke, let me tell you.He took off despite the school buses' flashing lights, although he saw and was confident that no kids were coming in our flight path, and he put the ponies to that old thing just in split second timing, enough so I thought I hit the back of his trailer, but didn't...it was that close. My knees knocked for a half hour after we got out and dumped our loads. I drove that truck empty of course, right back home without a backhaul, and tore it apart that afternoon and did the brakes. that was a close SOB, I'll tell you...:D

Jeff D.

This is a pic of my first truck as an O/O, the one in the story at the beginning. It was a '93 Freightliner, series 60, 13speed direct.................and no jake!!:eek:

I ran all 48 with it, and it didn't take me long to learn I HAD to go down hills slow when heavy, and use the stab braking method to keep them cool.

I did learn though. I usually was the slowest truck going down any hill and it was really hard to do when all the guys with jakes cruised by about 15mph faster than me, or more.

But it was the only way to live doing it without a jake.;)

Attachments

• truck pic 6.jpg
    truck pic 6.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:

LowBoy

Occupation
Kinda makes you wonder, looking back, how we did it then, huh? We depend way too much on our jakes nowadays, and I'm the first to admit that.

The first time I dropped off of Donner Pass, I was 16 years old with my very trusting older brother, (since deceased,) in the sleeper. He gave me a couple of pointers before my desent, and closed the curtain. I was doing OK till I started getting cocky and keeping up with the natives, the brakes got warm and faded, and back in that day the linings weren't what they are now.

I soon found out that the truck wasn't going to stop any time soon. A brand new A-model KW, state of the art truck, and I can't get it stopped. I finally came to a relief in the mountain where I got off to the side, and the maxi's wouldn't even hold it still by then. My brother peeked out at me sitting there with sweat pouring outa my forehead and said with a grin, "How'd ya like that?" Sure didn't take me long to figure out that I'd need to mend my ways if I was to stay doing this stuff.:D

Jeff D.

Kinda makes you wonder, looking back, how we did it then, huh? We depend way too much on our jakes nowadays, and I'm the first to admit that.
But they sure are nice. I like to find a speed/gear where I don't need to use the brakes at all, just the jake. I'll let it spin up to around 2100rpm, where the jake seems to work the best in the trucks I've had, and adjust gears if it won't hold that speed.

That way the brakes are nice and cool if'n I do need them for an emergency stop.

Without a jake it's not much fun.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I've got a story very similar to jmac's. I was working for a construction company driving truck, a 10 wheel Mack with a 237 Mack engine and 5 speed maxitorque transmission. It had a Dynatard engine brake too.. I hauled 21 tons of asphalt regularly with it.

One day we were working where I had to haul down Wingdale Mountain. I had been down this road a number of times in my car but never in a truck and it had been a few years since I'd been down it at all. At the top I slowed down and dropped down to third gear which seemed appropriate for the grade I saw ahead of me. Everything was fine for a little while, but things were about to change.

What I didn't recall was the grade got steeper a ways down the road, and by the time I realized it it was too late. The brakes had gotten hot and were of little use, the engine rpm was way too high to risk downshifting. I pulled out the parking brake, had the trolley pulled on full and was standing on the brake pedal, but I was still going 45 mph down a winding mountain road. At the bottom was a traffic circle!!

I had determined there was no way I was going to negotiate the circle and tried to put a plan together. I started blasting the air horn, moved into the opposite lane which lined up better with the other side and drove up and over the grass traffic circle. One oncoming car had to hit the shoulder, and I took out a road sign going across which took out the passenger mirror. Once I got across it took another 1/4 mile to get the truck stopped.

I got out, cleaned my drawers and walked around until I stopped shaking. I couldn't believe I was still alive and hadn't hurt anyone else. The smoke was pouring out from all the wheels and did so for about an hour after. When I got to the paver, no one said anything even though the smoke was still spewing. The paver operator saw my broken mirror and moved to the other side of the machine. I told the owner what had happened, he sent me back to the shop just a few miles away to get the mirror fixed.

I was back on the road in about 1/2 hour and nothing more was ever said about my screw up. I think that was the most scared I had ever been driving and I think it must have showed when I arrived to the job.

Jeff D.

Wow!! A good thing the round about was just grass, and didn't have a water fountain, statue , or something else there.

Does the Mack dynatard have much holding power on the hills?

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I was very lucky that there was nothing in the circle! I was also lucky there was only one car to contend with. All in all, it went about as good as it could.

The Dynatard is very similar to the Jake in power, but there is only one setting, on full. The Mack 5 speed gears are so far apart that 1st and 2nd are the most effective in braking.

LowBoy

Occupation
I had two B-61 "no can stop incidents" in the younger days as well.
Drove an old B Model 10 wheeler for a paving outfit in Ct. They used to load that thing with 25 tons of asphalt every time to maximize their profits.
I was leaving the plant loaded one day in Avon, Ct., coming down Avon hill which is a pretty good grade to drop off of with an old iron like that with no jake or triaxle with another set of brakes. At the bottom...a traffic light of course, what else? Here I am, foot to the floor, trolley brake all the way on, still going the same speed as I was without all that. The light's red of course, and here I come, hanging on the horn cable, (of course it was one of those old style, two small horns side by side that just went TWEEEEEET! when it was blowing, so it's not exactly sending a message of urgency to anybody...)
I put the headlights on highbeam, go into the opposite oncoming lane, drive right into a Mobil gas station's yard to avoid a couple of stopped cars at the light, and ended up stopped in the gas station up against the curb by the payphone, smoking like an inferno from every wheel. Another Fruit 'O The Loom load capacity test, to say the least.:D

Not long after that, I'm headed south on I-95 in Stratford, Ct. with this same POS with again, 25 tons of processed stone on, headed to a job at around 4:30 in the afternoon, traffic starting to build. The Stratford tollbooth was still there, as with all the Ct. tolls at that time. I start slowing down WAY before it was even an issue, because of my past experiences with the B-61 Bomber. All of a sudden, all I hear was, SSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHH!!! and the little red flag drops down in front of my face from over the sunvisor...the period's "low air warning device" of the day. Now I'm still doing about 50 mph, no air, no maxibrakes. The only thing that eliminated a real tragic outcome was the fact that there was one booth that was closed with an orange cone in it, but the collector was in it getting their drawer ready I guess. I do a quick hard manuever out of my lane into that closed one, avoiding slamming into the line of cars in my current lane. I have processed stone spilling off the sideboards as I'm changing lanes because that's the way we used to load the poor old junk than.(Talk about spreading processed without a tailgate OR your chains set...) I shot throught the closed lane, mowing down the traffic cone, at 50 mph...no lie. The collector didn't even have time to say "yikes".
I coast to a stop a good 1/2 mile down the road to the shoulder, knees vibrating, heart pumping, sweat dripping, undergarments once again, at capacity.
I get enough nerve up to get out and walk out back to find the main COPPER LINE that went to one of the brake chambers was sheared off at the farrel. I called the shop and the owner's brother came out to me with a new farrel and a hacksaw, and had it fixed in minutes. I drove it to the job and dumped it, and went back to the shop for the night.
The guys were having a field day with me..I'm about 16 or 17, the youngest guy they have on board. I told them the whole story as I just explained here about losing my brakes, and the owner, holding his 3rd beer by now says, "you don't need brakes to do your job kid, just a throttle..." They're all roaring at me as I'm not thinking it was all that funny. Wasn't long after that, I had me another job. Haven't driven another B-Model since, and really don't care if I never do again to be honest.:D

surfer-joe

In 1964, my brother and I were starting up an asphalt paving business in Mt. Pleasant, Michigan. We had a foreman and three college students, an old Layton tow-behind paver, an Eager Beaver ride-on roller, a very small Case dozer, a Galion mini-grader, a Huber-Warco Maintainer, one Ford F600 5-yard dump truck, a Dodge 10 yard tandem dump truck, and one International B180 10 yard tandem dump. Also one Chevy car, a couple of international pickups, and a flatbed of some kind, a Ford I think.

We were doing some small jobs about town one hot summer day and needed a couple of loads to finish up. The local asphalt plant went down, so we decided to send the two tandems over to Saginaw for blacktop so we could finish up. The one truck, the Dodge, returned after a couple of hours and we put that load down, but the other truck, which should have been right behind him, didn't show.

So we waited, and waited , and waited some more. We finally went ahead and chopped off the edge of the mat and prepped it for the night, figuring that something was wrong. No cell phones or radios in those days, so we had no idea what had happened if anything. My brother was driving the truck, and anything was possible with him.

Just about the time we were getting into the other rigs to head for the shop and finish the day, here he comes. The front end of the truck is all smashed to smithereens, with pieces still falling off and pieces of other vehicles still embedded.

This old International was originally a milk truck. In those days raw milk trucks were set up to really haul the mail as the tanks were not insulated and they had to hurry to get the loads of milk to the processing plant before it turned. This particular rig would easily do a hundred miles an hour given some time to get up to speed, and I drove it everywhere at 85 when hauling asphalt and gravel.

It seems that my brother had taken on a full load of asphalt and left the plant. He knew he could easily catch and pass the old Dodge, which did just 55 up hill and down. So he piled on the speed and was really cruising out of Saginaw on Rte 46. There was just one last stoplight left to pass and he would have been in open country all the way back to us, but the light turned red.

Well, he stepped on the brake, and there wasn't any! He hit them again, same result! He tried pumping them up, nothing! So, he looked ahead to the intersection. There was three or fours cars stopped in each direction and he was getting to them fast tho he was trying to down shift to slow up a bit.

One of the cars drivers saw him coming, and tried to warn the other drivers. But there's always one old lady that looks neither left nor right but hits the gas as soon as the light turns green, and so she did. My brother t-boned her in the passenger door doing about 60. The initial hit threw her car about 40 or 50 feet out in front of him, then he hit her again, which caused her to spin around and hit two other cars. By this time the old truck had slowed down considerably and he managed to pull it off the shoulder and get it stopped with the hand brake and shutting the engine off.

He ran back to see who he'd killed or injured and to help get them out of their cars. But to his surprise, no one was dead or even seriously hurt. The old lady was talking gibberish, but was otherwise OK. The cops were amazed when they showed up. So, after a couple of hours, they let him go without even a citation.

The truck had hydra-vac brakes. The hydra-vac unit itself had failed, and without it working, no brakes. My brother had to catch a ride back into Saginaw, find a truck store, buy a new hydra-vac unit and some tools, and go back out and install the new parts. He also had to remove and pull some sheet metal away from the tires and fan, but amazingly enough, nothing major was seriously damaged, the truck would still run and was drivable. Of course, the radiator had a hole in it, so he had to stop about every ten miles at a gas station or creek to refill it with water, and he didn't have any headlights or turn signals, and it was getting dark by that time.

The load of asphalt was still just sitting there in the dump box, cooling off, and he had no idea if it was still going to be usable when he got back to town, so that added a little urgency to things.

As it turned out, other than a few chunks of cold stuff around the edges and the top, the asphalt was still usable and we laid it down, using the headlights from the other trucks and pickups for light. Then, of course, the foreman and I had to work most of the night trying to fix that truck up enough to run the next day. My brother scooted off for home, said he had business to do and he couldn't hang around to help us.

We got her together, and ran that rig the rest of the summer, tho my brother didn't drive the dumps much anymore. I sort of took over those duties. We hunted up used sheet metal parts for a month or so and finally got it looking good again. You couldn't do what we did that day and night today, and get away with it.

LowBoy

Occupation
You got that right,surfer-joe. First thing that would take place today is the truck and your brother would be impounded.

I have a buddy in Ct. that runs a farm and has a bunch of absolutely unsafe, antique pieces of you know what on the road. He also does a lot of construction, gravel products from the farm, and a lot of hauling dirt, fill, etc.

If he were to see this, he'd probably be pretty mad, but I'm not saying anything that isn't true.

They still have old White Constructors with triaxles under them, still running some 70's vintage Autocars, I think I saw an old junk Brockway of his recently, you get the picture.

Last year there was an incident with one of his trucks. The driver, as far as I am informed, wasn't mentally competent to hold a CDL, whatever that means...I know a lot of them that aren't either...:D

Anyways, the driver couldn't stop loaded coming down a hill, and unfortunately killed the person in the car that was involved. Connecticut authorities don't mess around; they impounded the truck, did everything they could to arrest the driver and owner, and immediately put a cease and desist order on his business. They pulled any registrations in his name and whatever other names were affiliated with that business, and when I stopped in to visit the owner last summer, he was facing some serious jailtime. This is right in the middle of his really busy season in stone production, screening loam, etc. so it put a major hurting on him, but that's nothing compared to what he's facing. I'm not sure of the outcome as of today, I did hear there was a good liar (I..I mean LAWYER,) involved, and so far everybody's still roaming around without silver bracelets.

When I was a kid, I drove his junk, and a lot of them are still running today. I used to move an old D-8 2U cable blade which ironically he STILL uses, and it was on a 20 ton fixed gooseneck, single axle with the tires all the way across lowbed, pulled with whatever happened to be running on that day. The favorite day that sticks with me is when I moved that iron up the road about 15 miles with that trailer,and a single axle White 9000 with a 671, and the gladhands and electric plug had been mowed off the front of the trailer ages ago, so not a sign of a brake on the wagon, nor a light in the back. They used to follow me with one of the farm pickups, a 1964 Chevy, but that didn't have any lights or brakes either, so I didn't never understand why they bothered...

That'll either make a driver outa ya in short order, or make you ponder other options...At 17-18 yrs. old, you think it's "funny", or a "challenge"...NOW, I'd refer to it as NUTS.

What I did get out of that whole scene is some experience in combat, and a set of nads that I still carry today, which I'm not that proud of.

Another relic I drove for him was a 1960 Autocar single axle tractor, pulled a 24 foot dumptrailer that had been on it's side so many times, you had to back the right rear tires up onto the edge of a pile to dump, or you were going over again...no doubt. The tractor had some weird 12.00 X 24:00 euclid tires on it that the two inside ones were completely FLAT, but it didn't matter, we ran it up and down I-95 and everywhere every day. The trailer tailgate had no locks or pins left from guys forgetting to open the gate, so it was chained and bound closed every load. Talk about something that belongs on Discovery Channel...These shows like American Chopper, or Miami Ink, or Dirty Jobs couldn't hold a candle to some of the episodes I'd been involved in with that crazy outfit. I could write a book just on his operation, I think.:D

surfer-joe

Round about 69 or 70, the brother sold off the Internationals we had and the old Dodge. That Dodge was set up originally as an oilfield gin-pole rig. It had the big flathead straight-8 gas engine, with dual Stromberg's, a five and a four, and a double deep reduction transfer case. In the low hole a baby could crawl faster than that truck would go. Also sold off the three Ford F900's. Those had the big 530 engines with Allison autos, and had originally been owned by Ford and used at the River Rouge steel works. Built very heavy, but they couldn't pass a gas station, used 240 Gallons of fuel a day.

Bought some brand new International 1800 LodeStar's. Very nice trucks. 345 engines, 5-speed tranny's and Heil dump beds. Kept these till into the mid-seventies, then purchased some slightly used White 4000's. 671 Detroit's, 13 speeds, rather nice trucks. Some were straight ten yard dump tandems, others were tractors that pulled Fruehauf aluminum dump trailers. We always had the asphalt plant dump most of the blacktop in the very front of the dump box. We could almost never overload the front axle, but the rears were often over the limit. I threatened to dump a full load one time on the shoulder of M20 when a roving DOT guy was gonna write me up for overweight. I was actually under-weight total, but was about 400 over on the rears. He backed off when the bed came off the frame and the tailgate popped open, I was dead serious, and dumber then hell back in those days.

Had a uncle-in-law over to Midland, Michigan that owned about a hundred of the LodeStar's for a while around then. He did a lot of hauling for the interstates as they were being built north. Bad guy, didn't pay his bills. Was crooked as a dog's hind leg.

One of our main competitors back then was an outfit went by the name Reith-Reilly. They were a high class outfit and had only the very best equipment, which is probably why we were able to steal some work from them once in a while. Our costs for equipment were considerably lower I'm sure. Anyway they ran Peterbilt cab-over's with Allison tranny's. Not sure what engine, but believe it was a Cummins. Nice rigs and they had a ton of them. I always wanted to drive one of those. Their big advantage was that they could place the load more squarely in the box. The truck rode and handled better and lasted longer.

Autocar was a big name in Michigan trucking back then, especially around and in Detroit and Grand Rapids. They were everywhere. Real big on the east coast then too. Probably as many A-cars running as Mack's in New York and other big cities. I ran maintenance on a herd of A-cars in Detroit pulling Atlas Slag trailers from the various steel mills back into our Plant One for processing. Those had 238HP 671 Detroit's and 13 speed Road Rangers, 46000 pound axles. The trailers had the Fruehauf setup with ProPar 46000 pound axles. They pulled 125000 pound loads of slag double-shift out of the mills. The trailer floors and sides were 1/2 inch A36 steel and at night you could see they were often red hot from the loads of slag. You did not lean up against or touch any of our trailers with your bare hands at any time! We painted a trailer or two every night after the day shift cleaned them up and sand blasted the worst areas.

Had a old colored guy working the paint gun, he painted new cars for Ford for 30 years, worked for us for whiskey money. We used the four basic colors, blue, green, red, and yellow. Bought the paint surplus or condemned from Ford and GM. A lot of the paint was no good and we disposed of it. Didn't matter, it was all burned off in a week or so anyway.

After I came back out of Canada around 1978, I ran a couple of Brockway gravel-trains's for a contractor in northern Michigan. One had the come-a-long 350, the other it's big brother, the 450 version. Nice trucks, and the owner made triple sure everyone worked hard to keep them that way. He probably still has them today. They were set up as 5-axle 14 yard dumps, and pulled 20 yard 6 axle pups. The 450 would run away from the 350 going up hill, but on the flats both ran about the same. These rigs were 11 axle's total, as Michigan had dropped it's allowance of 12 axle set-ups by then. Still, we could gross 200000 pounds with them. Brockway's were also a big seller on the east coast in the sixties.

Around the same time I hauled wood chips for another outfit. They had a couple of White cab-over's with 350 come-a-longs, and two Kenworth cab-over's, one with a 350 Detroit, the other with a 450 Cummins. I hot-seated one of the White's with another guy. We hauled loads of Poplar and Oak chips out of a sawmill in northern Michigan down to Muskegon to a pulp mill that made Kraft paper. Started at 11AM on one day, and finished up at 11AM the next. That was two round trips to the mill. On Saturdays, I generally got the job of hauling chips to a local particle board plant. 5 trips earned me 120 bucks take home, one more made it 150. Those were the good days, as the rest of the week I only made 22 cents a mile no matter how long I drove or stayed on duty. I often hauled illegal loads of fresh Oak chips and sawdust that weighed 225000 pounds at the paper mill scale. I made sure I stayed away from the states scales. These rigs were only seven axle too.

Drove another truck off and on for that dirt contractor. It was a GMC cab-over with 318 Detroit and 13 spd. Pulled a lowboy with it hauling dozers from one job to another, mostly oil locations. He had an AC HD11, and rented a AC HD16 for bigger work. Also had a Michigan 280 of which I was basically the only operator that could make it work in dirt. Plowed a lot of snow with it too. The GMC had a nasty habit of not starting after you shut it off. Bad circuit I guess. I'd clamber under it with a screwdriver and short the solenoid and be back in business.

In the fifties and sixties, GMC gravel trains ruled the highways in Michigan. Usual set-up was a 318 no muffler dual-exhaust Detroit, a 5 and a four, and a full twelve axles. These cab-over's also owned the steel-hauling and car hauling business for many years. Ya could hear them coming and going on a quiet night for miles as those 318's snarled up and down hill.

Ha, ya got me going on "relics." Most out of space here.

LowBoy

Occupation
Ha, ya got me going on "relics." Most out of space here.

It's almost a shame to see a lot of those old gals extinct nowadays. In this hi-tech world of trucks and machines and computerized operations, the old iron is kind of fun to remember.

The '71 Brockway I used to drive was one of 3 built for the Alaskan Pipeline project in 1971. It was a 10 wheeler with 20K front end, 65K Timken rears, and triple frame. 318 with a jake, with a 5 X 4 double over, and Riker mufflers. It was the sweetest sounding thing in the region, and believe me, in that day, I made sure everybody took a listen...Shifted that thing one-handedly by heating and bending the auxiliary stick close enough to the main, so I could pull the aux back down into direct while bringing the main to the next hole with two fingers, all with finess and grace, not skipping a single note of music.

Ran a couple of JD 310 and 410 2 wheel drive hoes with nothing but canopies, and did a serious amount of digging with them. Used to get 'em stuck so bad sometimes, but always managed to claw, lift, pull and do stuff to get out. You'd be facing the backhoe pushing yourself out of a deal, while having the trans. and reverser in forward, spinning the tires as you push away...eventually you'd pop out of the mud and keep on truckin'.

That was the machine of choice in the late 70's, early 80's to do cellar holes with, cause that's all we had...The only excavators around were the big clumsy Americans, Hopto's, Warner Swazeys, International Cornbinders, etc. and nobody really could move them on the trailers they had, except for the chosen few.

Just 2 weeks ago I picked up an older, early 80's model D-3 Cat dozer to bring to Cat for a transmission leak, and I jumped onto it to load it up on the trailer, and immediately I was right at home in my arm chair...the old gal actually had steering clutches!!! Remember when we had to actually PULL on a lever to steer a dozer? this one had 'em. Even had to touch the foot brake pedal at the same time to steer, and it was a 2 stick, 6 way blade. The angle was a seperate stick. Tough for today's operators to imagine...The machines nowadays are more like video games than actually running by the "seat of your pants". Although if I had to admit it, they're a lot easier to run.

Jeff D.

Just 2 weeks ago I picked up an older, early 80's model D-3 Cat dozer Remember when we had to actually PULL on a lever to steer a dozer? this one had 'em.
:eek: Get out!! There's another way?
.....and it was a 2 stick, 6 way blade. The angle was a seperate stick. Tough for today's operators to imagine...
I know I know, that would be nice.

I've gotta pound out four pins for "tilt", and "angle" requires getting out and doing manually too!!:cool2 :D

Lowboy and surfer-joe, don't be afraid to post pics of those old trucks in you have any. I'd sure like to see them. Especially of the Dodge.:thumbsup

I'm kinda curious when it comes to those old Dodge commercial vehicles.

surfer-joe

I actually have a kazillion pictures of various machines and other things, but having the time to sort them and post the good ones, that's a problem. Don't have much from before 1967, as I didn't have my own camera then. My dad did tho and so I have a few pics from him, mostly slides actually.

B61 Mack's. Was there ever an uglier truck, well, yes, I suppose so? Between a Mack and a Diamond Reo, which was worse? Tiny little cabs, shaky doors, lousy transmissions. Gad, they sold a million of both of these POS's over the years. Never saw a DR west of the Mississippi, and Mack's was rare, except near very strong dealers in Iowa and California. I know you couldn't get parts for either one in nearly any other state west of the big muddy.

The last one I had on a job was in Salt Lake around 95. It needed a whole new suspension, all Mack of course. Took it to the Mack dealer in Salt Lake, place looked like a black-smith shop. I swear they were still working on Conestoga wagons in that place. Took two weeks to get parts and another week to finish the repair.

I had two of the newer models in Maryland, one set up as a fuel tanker, the other a water truck. Neither one could get out of their own way when loaded. The seats hit the back of the cabs and the transmissions were rock crushers and more difficult to shift than nearly any other I've ever been around. The clutches were very hard, sometimes took both feet to push down, our female water truck driver had to quit because she couldn't do it.

I hope to never see another Mack truck.

The Donner, the Grapevine, the Eisenhour, and about forty dozen more. All bad for speeding truckers.

When you come down out of the Cloud Peaks on Rte 16 in Wyoming, it's a long two-lane very narrow road. Up out of Buffalo a few miles, there is a run-a-way truck ramp with signs on both sides of the road for several miles that explain that no one can park in front of the ramp, not under any circumstances. Not at any time!

There is always someone who doesn't understand or desire to follow good advice, and some years ago some folks decided that those signs didn't apply to them. Sure enough, they stopped directly in the front of the ramp, and a few minutes later an out of control truck came down the mountain and the trucker had only two choices, keep on going, or run thru the vehicle in front of the ramp. He tried to miss the parked vehicle, but clipped it anyway at about a hundred and killed everybody inside. Wasn't the first, and won't be the last. But it illustrates the power of a loaded semi.

We used to see trucks like this all the time on the Grapevine. The slope down was always smelly from over-heated brakes and we usually saw several smoking badly and some on fire once in a while. There's two bad grades on I-15 in California that get real smelly all the time. The run a way trucks ramps there get a good workout.

LowBoy

Occupation
:eek: Get out!! There's another way?I know I know, that would be nice.

I've gotta pound out four pins for "tilt", and "angle" requires getting out and doing manually too!!:cool2 :D

Lowboy and surfer-joe, don't be afraid to post pics of those old trucks in you have any. I'd sure like to see them. Especially of the Dodge.:thumbsup

I'm kinda curious when it comes to those old Dodge commercial vehicles.

What kind of iron have you got, Jeff? I used to have a JD straight 350 dozer, with inside arms, with hydro. angle BUT...I had to get off and pound out the two wedges if I wanted to tilt the blade, too.

Man, I did a lot of fine grading with that piece, especially driveways where I had to have a crown for drainage. That was a pain...do one side, pound out the wedges...tilt the other way...do that side...you know the game.

As far as pictures of old Dodges go, I was at an antique truck show a few years back and have a couple of shots of a '73 Dodge Ram with a 318. Those to me were pretty good looking trucks in their day with the big hoods. I'll hunt those pics up and get 'em on here shortly.

I also visited an antique truck museum in Connecticut last summer that has about 20 beautifully restored old trucks inside, ranging from wooden C-cabs to some pretty awesome stuff like another wicked nice Dodge Ram, a couple of "Cherry Picker" International cabovers, some Diamond T's that would knock your socks off, and there's even a B-75 Mack that even I...the King of all Mack Haters, actually like.

I'm with you on the Dodge curiousity factor...they only made them a couple of years, and they were really something to look at coming down the road. I think they were building them in Canada at the end of their lifecycle from what I heard at the museum.

I just went and got my 6 coveted issues of Overdrive Magazine that I somehow managed to preserve from 1970 through 1972, and I treat them like the Crown Jewels. I found a pic of a Dodge cabover that they did a story on, so I added that in as well, just for the heck of it.
Really is interesting to see how things have changed over the past 35 years...

NJoy...

Attachments

• DodgeCO.jpg
    DodgeCO.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 1,606

thejdman04

Great stories. ITs a wonder some of you veterns made it/got anythign done back in tihe day, w/190 horse cummins being power houses. You guys are right how some depend on jakes and brakes way too much. Brakes on these new trucks esp w/air discs are so much better now then they were then say even in hte 70's and wedge brakes and some driver still have brake fade and crashes.

Jeff D.

I actually have a kazillion pictures of various machines and other things, but having the time to sort them and post the good ones, that's a problem.
I sure hope for our sake you do have time some day, it would be great to see them. Thanks for the stories too.
Lowboy said:
What kind of iron have you got, Jeff? I used to have a JD straight 350 dozer, with inside arms, with hydro. angle BUT...I had to get off and pound out the two wedges if I wanted to tilt the blade, too.
That's the beast (er....mini-beast), except mine has the arms on the outside of the track and manual angle. I learned I have to mark the arms before pounding out the wedges (pins) for tilt before I tilt it. I didn't the first time and had a heck of a time getting it back to cutting level, as I couldn't tell what level was without something flat for the whole dozer to sit on and then measure the blade from the ground. What a pain.:Banghead
Lowboy said:
I found a pic of a Dodge cabover that they did a story on, so I added that in as well, just for the heck of it.
Really is interesting to see how things have changed over the past 35 years...
Thanks! That's the beast I'm most curious about. I saw one out Dayexco's way, and always wondered about it. What did the article say about them? Sound like they were any good?

I'm also curious about another Dodge an older trucker friend told me about. He said it was called a "Big Horn" and suposedly had a humongous hood with a dodge ram for a hood grab handle. I've never seen one in person, but wouldn't mind.
thejdman04 said:
.......Brakes on these new trucks esp w/air discs are so much better now......
I haven't had the opportunity to try any of those "air disc" out yet. They're pretty good then?