• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

nowing75

I mentioned I have an experienced come-a-long. It used to have safety latches and they didn't touch the small end of the hooks anymore. It put on a lot of dozer tracks and leveled out plenty of engines and transmissions in its days. I bought it used back when there was a Boeing surplus. We called these things coffing hoists back then.

View attachment 254978
I went to boeing surplus about 20 years ago. wow they had a ton of stuff

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
In all AMEREN Power stations when the hooks spread the hoists were destroyed enough could not ever use again and off to scrap. Coffing has replacements, better off buying a replacement hand hoist.

crane operator

I've wanted to replace the hooks for years and never found anything even similar. Anyone got a suggestion?

Bob's offer is the best, but if you watch ebay, there are usually hooks for around $30-40 (they may not be exactly like yours, but they are chain hoist hooks). New hooks from a good supplier (harrington, etc,) will usually set you back $100-150 each- depending on the capacity of your come along.

https://www.mcmaster.com/chain-hoist-replacement-parts/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/361865774252?hash=item5440e184ac:g:3pIAAOSw0QFXCEH~

https://www.amazon.com/Top-Hook-Ton-Lever-Hoist/dp/B01IWIV4YM

Flat Thunder Channel

Monday I used my 3/4" drive ratchet. It's a clunky import model. It got the job done but left a lot to be desired. This lead me to start searching for a quality replacement.

The goal was to find a nice older unit that was made in USA, affordable and a quality brand name. Well I found and purchased two different units.

The first arrived in the mail yesterday and I carried it around the house like a 5 year old with a new toy. I am exceptionally happy with this Armstrong ratchet! #Merica

Armstrong
Model: 13-906
3/4" Drive - 18" long

PXL_20220303_190028593.jpg PXL_20220304_004952402.jpg PXL_20220304_004933693.jpg PXL_20220303_185905601.jpg

crane operator

And because we were talking about John C's come along, I saw this picture the other day in a jobox advertisement. There's little hooks in the lid of the new jobox's, and evidently the advertising department thinks that would be just the place to store chain falls and come alongs....

jobox lid storage.jpg

Flat Thunder Channel

My second 3/4" drive ratchet arrived today. It's bigger and has a tighter ratchet mechanism than the Armstrong. I think this one was used and abused less. It's 24 inches of power. Only problem I noticed is it won't fit in my toolbox.

My old shop manager always said if your knuckles turn white you are using the wrong tool! Now, think I have enough 3/4" drive ratchets. If these won't do the job something must be wrong. All that said I still have a hankering for a 1" drive unit that's 30 inches long.

Wright Brand
Model#: 6400-2

PXL_20220306_023507740.jpg. PXL_20220306_023427092.jpg

JD955SC

Wright makes 1” and 3/4 drive ratchets with 42” long handles. You won’t find a stouter brand of tools either. You ought to see my big Wright wrenches they weigh about 15 lbs apiece.

Old Doug

We have a set of wright 3/4 sockets i have abuse the ratchet bad over the years and not used the break over much because of not being able to get it in the right position. I was losening the lug nuts on my truck with the breaker bar and it broke i didnt even have alot of presser on it. I would like to find a place to warranty it.

crane operator

I have a 3/4" wright with the 42" handle. I also have the 1" drive with the 30". I much prefer the longer handled one. Your 18" long armstrong is pretty short for any serious work. but it does fit in a toolbox or is handy if you are carrying up a ladder.

colson04

crane operator

We always put a 36" pipe(or 60"...) over our foreign made ¾" ratchet. Somehow, we have not broke it yet, but it sure gets sketchy putting 200+ pounds on the end of a 5' pipe trying to break lug bolts loose on tractor tires. Someday we'll upgrade the air supply to handle a real air gun.

I use mine mostly for tires also, and that long handle is great. Usually no cheater pipe needed. Its really nice to just check lugs with, a little lean on the long handle and I know they are tight.

Flat Thunder Channel

I was concurrently looking into a 1" drive with be a 30" inch long handle. It seemed to be the unicorn on the old auction site; cheap enough to be affordable and described as in good working order. I made an offer contingent on the how smooth the ratchet mechanism functions. I thought it was fair, but maybe the seller doesn't think the same. It's time to stop spending money on toys I suppose.... For now o_O

I will always have a cheater handy for the stubborn nuts and bolts. Usually it is my old jack handle. I am hoping the larger mechanism will handle the load better than my poor 1/2" drives. They have seen some things!

Okay let's be honest I just really wanted some American Made Ratchets! :)

Old Doug

I want to get a 3/4 or inch breaker bar and socket to have in my truck to change a flat but
I would contact wright direct. 800-321-2902

They were great about getting me a kit for my 1" drive ratchet. They actually ended up getting me a whole new ratchet, after we figured out mine was the old design and had a no longer available kit.
I will call them. Gearwrench has been a good place to deal with. We had a broken ratchet that the dealer couldnt find parts for i called them and they sent me a new ratchet .

56wrench

I blew the head apart on a Challenger 3/4" drive but cannot find anyplace to warranty it or even buy a head kit for it. I think its an 1861C. It seems to be an orphan. It seems like STANLEY has so many different lines, they don't even know where they get their stuff from or who makes it for them:mad:. I found a head kit for my old Craftsman just before Sears pulled out of Canada, so at least i have one 3/4 drive that works. I have the Snap-On 3/4" detachable torque wrench that i also bought the ratchet handle for but its long enough to be cumbersome. I hate to think about what that detach handle is worth now:eek:. I've had it about 30 years

crane operator

Challenger 3/4" drive but cannot find anyplace to warranty it or even buy a head kit for it
Most of the old challenger was proto, I think. But most of that stuff isn't available either- they make new designs and then you can't fix the old.

If it is marked as proto- I'd call them and see what they will do- 800-800 TOOL. All they can say is no. It may be a issue from us to canada. Mac is part of SBD and they have been great when I needed some ratchet kits- and the mac tool truck won't even come to my place.