• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tool bags..

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
Whats your opinion on them? They are great if you like to dig thru a mass of tools in the bottom of the bag or lose expensive tools when they fall out of the pockets...the zippers are a pita, never get used and the bag gets filled with debris.

Many of the tech bags are nice, although job specific.

I find them good for 1 or a few things, fall arrest harness is in one, hammer drill in another, my pex tools just ended up in another after I cut the useless pockets out of the inside.

Ed

mitch504

I keep 2 of the $5 ones in the truck. When I walk away from the truck to fix something remote, I stuff what I think I will need in there. When I take something apart that I am coming back to reassemble later, I put the pieces, parts, and fasteners in the other bag. Then, when it gets full of the parts that the last few things I worked on were better off without, I dump them in a bucket, box, or other container.

mitch504

Nah, I just push the box further back, just because I don't need it, doesn't mean I won't need it. Then, if I could just find it....

Slidey

Occupation
HD fitter
Have no choice but to work out of toolbags where I am. Beehive is one brand that is very well put together. Pricey but they have no zips to fail on them and will keep your tools dry.

we make lightweight frames and slip them in so they don’t lose their shape

colson04

I have some because they were given to me. One has ratchet straps and stays in my truck. Another is my go anywhere tool kit I put together. (Wrench set, 1/2" drive set, basic pliers and crescent wrench). That bag also stays in my truck, but gets shifted to whatever piece of equipment I'm running for the day. I like the compact size of it, but it's a pain digging tools out, and I just noticed a hole in it. The bag is fairly heavy and I suppose 5 years of bouncing around in trucks and tractors is plenty for it. I will probably switch that to a portable steel box when it gives up the ghost.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I use a little "doctor bag" that I grab off the truck with pliers, crescent wrenches, screw drivers, volt meters and the like which is all worn out with a big hole in the side and leaves a trail of small tools from the truck to the machine.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
As far as the actual question- I’ve got one that some tool came with and I keep some odds and ends in my pickup. On my service truck I have a Home Depot plastic tool carrier I use if I’ve got to hike in the woods to get to a machine. Think it cost $5.

Old Doug

I have 2 one has all the basics the other has a 3/8 socket set and some 1/2 sockets.If its iust once in a while bags are ok but if its every day there not ideal. I am going to find something diffrent as soon

as i have time. Its to hard to find stuff and to tell if you have every thing when your done.

crane operator

I can see why your wife pays you all that attention. Stylin' like you are, and have that euro look going on. I, for one, am impressed. I never figured a Okie mechanic for the stylish dresser you are, but I guess that's what assuming gets you.

Going for the "man bun" next? I hear they are quite popular.

Vetech63

I can see why your wife pays you all that attention. Stylin' like you are, and have that euro look going on. I, for one, am impressed. I never figured a Okie mechanic for the stylish dresser you are, but I guess that's what assuming gets you.

Going for the "man bun" next? I hear they are quite popular.
Yer just jealous!:D

crane operator

Yer just jealous

I know I don't look that good in black stretchy pants.

Before I was married and knew better, I rocked a set of Key striped bib overalls. I was forbidden them after marriage, fortunately we were married before she saw me in them, or my children probably wouldn't exist.

If she goes blind in our old age, this is your flash forward look at 'crane operator' style in 2050:

DbtuvJsUwAYkuKV.jpg

Truck Shop

It seems most I have run into that wear bibs have prolific flatulate-lance, and have the need to air themselves out and they usually walk like their looking for a restroom.
Kind of like a penguin in a hurry. Now about those tool bags-a five gallon bucket works for me.