• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Time to sell the backhoe, or think it is...

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Well after 4000 miles, 2 trailer tires, one semi tire, and an arsehol Illinois DOT officer I made it home.49E8DB72-B63E-48FA-89B7-07F98735247A.jpeg Speaking of which I like to apologize to the residents of Illinois for wasting few of your bucks after being threatened by one of your officers cause I pointed out he was wrong.
Pulled into weigh station and he pointed me to the back of all rigs which was fine, I parked and went in with my paperwork he wanted registration and said he could ticket me for no MC or DOT authority numbers since he didn’t believe I was hauling my own equipment which he proceeded to call in my car license plate to see who owner was, so I calmly pulled out the registration to my car too and handed it to him. Seemed mad at that told me to drive back around and get on the scale and he would give me my registration back afterwards. So I proceeded on to the scale and he walked up and said he could give me a $2000 ticket for no fuel permit since I am over 26k, I said I’m registered as farm vehicle and he said no I’m not it’s not on your plates, yes I am it’s on my registration. There is no farm plates in Montana and I can run my veteran plates on this rig. Welp he got mad and told me to leave that he never saw me here or he was going to put me out of service he will find something.
So being proud of my work and angry told him let’s get started cupcakes. By time all was said and done and I got back on the road it was 3 hrs later ticket free. Never knew was a class 1 DOT inspection was but I sure know now.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Hey Spud. You are missing a lucrative opportunity if you are not youtubering your adventures.
There is a sizeable segment of viewers who just eat up all the "will it start" and "cheapest worst in the country" videos.
You get someone like Vetech hooked who likes a good mechanical/trainwreck drama and he will be talking about it to every counter jockey he runs into. You will have 1/2 million subs and the money will be rolling in before you know it.
You seem like a younger, but just as ornery Warren - Western Truck &Tractor Repair.
Seriously. I am only half joking...
Thing about this forum is not many to see what is done here and I can chose how much I show and how much information one gets of me. Sell your soul to YouTube and they got your banking information, full name, address and anyone can get most of this information through a FOIA Freedom Of Information Act. With said information you are now a puppet, do as they say or else they can crash your life. Other ways to make money if one wants to, I rather be poor and happy than mediocre rich and stressed out. I have walked both roads and many others.

Last edited:

Tinkerer

Thing about this forum is not many to see what is done here and I can chose how much I show and how much information one gets of me. Sell your soul to YouTube and they got your banking information, full name, address and anyone can get most of this information through a FOIA Freedom Of Information Act. With said information you are now a puppet, do as they say or else they can crash your life. Other ways to make money if one wants to, I rather be poor and happy than mediocre rich and stressed out. I have walked both roads and many others.
You are a wealth of information, Spudmonkey !
I never knew how much snooping YouTube does until now. Thanks for exposing that !
Google is the worse outfit for an invasion of privacy in the US there is.
I think they own YouTube.
The fiasco with the know it all (not) cop was awesome. Kudos to you.
Fascinating trip you went on ! Your photos are priceless !

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
You are a wealth of information, Spudmonkey !
I never knew how much snooping YouTube does until now. Thanks for exposing that !
Google is the worse outfit for an invasion of privacy in the US there is.
I think they own YouTube.
The fiasco with the know it all (not) cop was awesome. Kudos to you.
Fascinating trip you went on ! Your photos are priceless !
Thanks!!!
Duck Duck Go for searching, though they give nothing but companies results when searching for things on first page, run a VPN ( I am on here with random IP addresses from random countries) and use a DOH (DNS over HTTP) Cloudfare is basic one there are others out there and if you want to get creative run a Tor it's basic onion routing system that bounces off several IP addresses every so many seconds minutes. Basically goes through one IP address to another to another then to the website you want to search and moves around. Yes Google owns YouTube or Alphabet company that is what they are called. There's you some more wealth of knowledge to wrap your head around. ;)

Welcome to the class 1 recent inspection club, and welcome home!
I'm sure if they could of given an anal cavity search they would of went with it to top it off. Thanks!!!

Tinkerer

Dam,
Spudmonkey you sure on top of the ways of the internet. I also use a VPN at times. I have for years !
We can see fascinating things in foreign countries that cannot be seen with US based IP addresses.
Duck Duck Go is an awesome search engine. I also have been using it for a while. Especially in my Iphone.
I never felt a need to use the Tor browser. It blocks some things I want to see on the internet.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Dam,
Spudmonkey you sure on top of the ways of the internet. I also use a VPN at times. I have for years !
We can see fascinating things in foreign countries that cannot be seen with US based IP addresses.
Duck Duck Go is an awesome search engine. I also have been using it for a while. Especially in my Iphone.
I never felt a need to use the Tor browser. It blocks some things I want to see on the internet.
I've recently learned what a PC & a CDROM are.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Dam,
Been slapping a keyboard for 35 years or more played with my first one was IBM room computer a college tossed for the "PC" ones and my dad dragged it home and so it began from there. Commodore 64, Apple, DOS, Windows 3.1 and everything afterwards.Built them also as my dad did as side business and I helped build them too. Incorporate that with heavy equipment with where the future is going with them and I fit in that niche if I can get my hands on the software and hardware or know what the parameters are to run multi meter on them.
I've recently learned what a PC & a CDROM are.
Might want to forget that knowledge CD Rom (Compact Disc Read Only Memory) are now writable with CD burners which CD's in themselves for programs are going obsolete for SD cards (Secure Digital) and online subscriptions for the program. instead of just buying the program. PC's (Personal Computers) will eventually phase out though always be work stations for businesses that share their work over a LAN (Local Area Network) and in some cases WAN (Wide-Area Networks)

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Dealt with much of this late in life at the Nuke, ended up getting our own PC and comfortable with that, had a netbook to take on cycle rides to research and review what was around us as came to stops but that has fallen to disuse as iphones got more capable. Eventually I suspect all data lines will become wireless, more apt to be screened by third and fourth parties, more able to be hacked into/onto by the less than desirable types but then again may end up with a solar neutron EMP burst or worse a weapon used as a high altitude neutron EMP and wipe out 99% of all our conveniences. Not too electron smart but manage to get thru it, SAM or CAN-BUS throws me some but I relate back to the early Cadillac high tech electronics that were damned similar, we do ourselves a disfavor making machines as we deal with too reliant of sensitive electronics, they do/did not do away with the repairman just changed up his job.

Edit:
Had a Demineralized water plant and demineralizing system for the condenser water system as well a number of old analog systems that would throw up in a heartbeat at the nuke, learned to drive them in hand to support operations when the electrical side took a dump, all that has been uprated to fully integrated electronic controls, lose a frame and lose the equipment as there is NO IN HAND methodology without the electronics system driving. Such is what happened at Colonial Pipeline, too dependent of electronics controls where as hacked could not be over ridden to successfully use the system. Not everything man has needs to be electronically actuated, electrically yes, electronically not really.

Last edited:

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Got the backhoe up and running after all new lines and such, well the front end loader controls that I took off the recently bought backhoe hydraulics are doing the same as last ones I taken off. No power to lift the front end loader up unless max RPM, other than that all hydraulics run fine no leaks on the new lines so I know it's not losing pressure from that, I can hear it in the controls the hydraulic fluid circulates back. Anyone want to give a gander on rebuild price or should I just swap it out for a new universal one (Which is the direction I am looking at).

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Please throw some gauges on it to verify what you "hear" I'd be interested in input and circuit pressure. what are the odds two valve are both internally bypassing
It's just the lift bypassing is what I hear when pulling lever. It has power to push down just not lift, at idle when pulling lever it goes down. It would be about 3 weeks before I could attempt at getting a gauge on it.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
You have a cylinder blown internally
It will get hot as the oil circulates too fast thru it.
You are correct! I found out after I performed a country side hydraulic test, crack line a half turn and if it shoots over 20' it's working and it did just that so I knew the valve body was still good. Got off and accidentally found it by standing next to it I could hear it gush inside the cylinder while I pulled the lever, something I couldn't hear while on it. I need some hearing aids or something.
Anywho now I need to repair a lift cylinder, which in mean time take one off the other backhoe I bought and run it till winter then rebuild it.