• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Thought yall might like these BIG ONES

JDOFMEMI

Silly question, but is the guarding on the cab left over from a previous mining application or do they serve a purpose in marine use?

After looking at the photos of the second machine, I see they use these with grapples and such, so I suppose they probably place jetty stone with these. When dropping stone, pieces break off occasionally and launch like a missile. I suspect that is the primary reason for the guarding.

Lashlander

Now that makes since. Thanks for the insight Lash.

So what is that big clamshell attached to........(subtle reverse psychology to see more pics):D

This was a dredging job we did in Seward Ak. last winter. We loaded on to a barge and went out to sea and offloaded with a 980G. The windshield in 980 got broke by flying muck on this job. I had a bunch of photos from this job and they got ruined at the developers. These were about the only ones I wound up with.

Last edited:

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Thanks for the pics Lash. Did I mention you have the best job.......:D

Do you get to operate all the equipment you've posted or is everybody assigned a machine?

Thanks again, great pics. :thumbsup

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
With that being a marina there is probably lots of disgusting stuff laying on the bottom. Old boats,decomposed bodies,tons of human poo,old condoms,old fishing gear etc.

Pushing the spoils off the barge would be a little worry some with no sides on the barge a operator would have to pay attention. Unload one side too fast you would have troubles :bouncegri

Lashlander

I've got 2 other operators. Me and one of them share all the Crane operating. We share the rest of the duties. I hire other people as needed for different jobs. The owners would rather run a shorter crew and work more over time. That suits us fine. The over time is where the bucks are.
Most dredging jobs I've done the first couple feet will be silt and will stink pretty good. It usually cleans up after that. The dump barge on this job had two foot side boards. We ran out of free board before we ran out of side board.
Thanks for the replies.

Countryboy

Occupation
I've got 2 other operators. Me and one of them share all the Crane operating. We share the rest of the duties. I hire other people as needed for different jobs. The owners would rather run a shorter crew and work more over time. That suits us fine. The over time is where the bucks are.
Most dredging jobs I've done the first couple feet will be silt and will stink pretty good. It usually cleans up after that. The dump barge on this job had two foot side boards. We ran out of free board before we ran out of side board.
Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, the overtime is definately where the money is. Thats why I make an extra 20 hrs of it each week.

Why would you want to hire help when you can have all them cool jobs to yourself.....:D

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
What do you get on the barge for weight 2000 ton ?

I like the pictures it shows the land lubber members in the center of the country what happens on the West Coast in marine construction etc.

Lashlander

What do you get on the barge for weight 2000 ton ?

I like the pictures it shows the land lubber members in the center of the country what happens on the West Coast in marine construction etc.

The barge is 2500 ton to the loadline, we went over a little because it was only going about a mile out. I'm not real sure how many care about Marine Construction. If not I hope they let me know. I don't want to be a pest.:pointhead

Countryboy

Occupation
I'm not real sure how many care about Marine Construction. If not I hope they let me know. I don't want to be a pest.:pointhead

:eek: What!!! Marine Construction is great. :thumbsup

I think its in the rules somewhere that you have to post pics of Marine Construction.....:beatsme :D

Lashlander

:eek: What!!! Marine Construction is great. :thumbsup

I think its in the rules somewhere that you have to post pics of Marine Construction.....:beatsme :D

You bring back a memory. When I was about 4 or 5 years old I was hanging out with some boys that were 8 or 10. We were playing in a field that bordered an old lumber yard. They wanted me to throw a rock though a window of one of the old warehouses. I knew better but they egged me on and on. I finally gave in and let it fly. It wasn't 2 seconds a face appeared in the hole I just made. I turned around to look at the other kids and they were gone and I was busted. Its been over 40 years since that little episode and to this day I've never really like the sound of breaking glass.:eek:

Countryboy

Occupation
You bring back a memory. When I was about 4 or 5 years old I was hanging out with some boys that were 8 or 10. We were playing in a field that bordered an old lumber yard. They wanted me to throw a rock though a window of one of the old warehouses. I knew better but they egged me on and on. I finally gave in and let it fly. It wasn't 2 seconds a face appeared in the hole I just made. I turned around to look at the other kids and they were gone and I was busted. Its been over 40 years since that little episode and to this day I've never really like the sound of breaking glass.:eek:

Its funny how the childhood experiences make their mark on the latter years. I don't like spiders cause of something that happened when I was 6.......but we're not going to talk about that. :D

alco

As for Fort Mc Murray you make good money but there isn't much to do so you end up with a serious gambling addiction or if your not a alcoholic you turn into one. The sad part which I heard from one of my buddys up there says guys get into drugs sniffing lines of booger sugar off the table

Sorry to drag up something from a ways back in the thread here, but I find it interesting how you can say there isn't much to do in Fort McMurray. You can do pretty much anything you may be interested in doing up here. I'd like to know what we are lacking? For that matter, have you ever been to Fort McMurray?

Brian

Countryboy

Occupation
Sorry to drag up something from a ways back in the thread here, but I find it interesting how you can say there isn't much to do in Fort McMurray. You can do pretty much anything you may be interested in doing up here. I'd like to know what we are lacking? For that matter, have you ever been to Fort McMurray?

Brian

Alco, it seems that Ford will have to plead the fifth on the matter as it seems he has gotten himself in a bit of trouble. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't look too much into his ramblings though, as your question would have brought on a steady flow of manure which would not be of any contribution to this or any thread.

On a more positive note, would you have any interesting pics to contribute to my thread? Unfortunately, down south in the states we don't get to see to much of the Oil Sands. :drinkup

nedly05

Props to countryboy

I would like to take a quick second to shoot some props to countryboy for this thread, It's gotta be one of, if not the coolest I've ever seen on HEF. So many awesome pics, and awesome links. Also props to the rest of you guys that added great pics and links to contribute to this threads greatness!! AWESOME:notworthy :thumbsup

Last edited:

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
It's gotta be one of, if not the coolest I've ever seen on HEF. So many awesome pics, and awesome links.

What!!!....how can you say such a thing???....you obviously haven't read the "Lonley Friday" thread......full of great pics and really useful information:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek: :D :pointhead

Ok...yep...well done CB:cool: