• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

This will be an interesting thread moving forward......

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I hired a part timer in 84 just to clean up behind me when worked at my own rented shop, was always having to tell him what to do next, ran out of patience never called him back after two weeks. Can see vetech's concern, takes up a LOT of time for bookwork let alone watching them to make certain doing what should be.

Welder Dave

The problem Vetech has the way I see it is that he can't continue the way he has been. He is getting up there in age and doesn't want to run himself into the ground. Knowing that is what's coming if he continues the same way is being very smart on his part. A lot of people do run themselves into the ground and wish they could go back and do things differently. If it continues might come to the ultimatum, you want me well then you need to give me a full time helper or I'm gone.

hosspuller

.... My suggestion is to just keep on doing what your are doing and keep the money flowing from their bank account to yours.

Welder Dave has addressed this... The current situation is physically unsustainable to Vetech. Better to change something soon rather than suffer poor health later. I retired early because as the Viking Cruise ad says, " One's time is the only scarce resource. Spend it wisely..."

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I'll figure something out fellas. In the meantime, look at the muck in this............YIKES!!!!!!!!:eek: No marked hours and plenty of dirt and rust. I'll post a pic of the trash I cleaned out of the cab tomorrow. It was ridiculousView attachment 277991 .
Have to wonder how the fuel tank looks inside. Have they been running this with the fuel cap missing?

Vetech63

The infamous words of Rodney King.........."Can't we all just get along?" LOL No arguing on my account! :D:p

I did get the CB64 Eccentric job finished up yesterday. I decided to turn the phone off and concentrate on that..........it helped a lot. I had a moment during the assembly, pushing those heavy ass side plates by hand thinking" Dude, you can't be THAT weak, can you?" Even 5 years ago that was nothing.......now it's painful. It really gets me to thinking how much longer I can really do this stuff. A majority of my issues are physical with lower back and rotator cuff issues in both shoulders. .........but some of my issue is mental. Those combined with the workload and unorganized chaos are overwhelming me at times.

It looks like I may have been partially to blame for no help being hired. When I first started doing everything months ago, I had made the statement to the hiring super that hiring anyone with less than 15 years of experience would not be prudent with what I was seeing at the time. Well, no one has applied with that kind of experience.......so no hires. I should have clarified that I meant someone in the lead role.........not a helper situation. They are currently on a hiring freeze since we are in Winter...........they do this every year so its normal for them. I'll just have to deal with it for now and that's fine...........I will adjust the workload to meet what I can do; the rest will just have to wait (been stacking them up already) or get dealer directed.:confused:

By the way...........still no response from Cat field service on my request Monday morning. I'm having to call again this morning.:rolleyes:o_O I did whip out my LOCK OUT tags and will be placing them on some of the stuff that is waiting on me. Maybe I can keep some of the stuff in the yard so I CAN get to them!

It will all work out for the better........one way or another.;)

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Construction would typically do that AllDodge, depends on needs in slow time, machine cleanings falls to work crews, maintenance may or may not get done as to finances being tight, low men on pole regardless positions or skills usually first to be dumped.

Welder Dave

The infamous words of Rodney King.........."Can't we all just get along?" LOL No arguing on my account! :D:p

I did get the CB64 Eccentric job finished up yesterday. I decided to turn the phone off and concentrate on that..........it helped a lot. I had a moment during the assembly, pushing those heavy ass side plates by hand thinking" Dude, you can't be THAT weak, can you?" Even 5 years ago that was nothing.......now it's painful. It really gets me to thinking how much longer I can really do this stuff. A majority of my issues are physical with lower back and rotator cuff issues in both shoulders. .........but some of my issue is mental. Those combined with the workload and unorganized chaos are overwhelming me at times.

It looks like I may have been partially to blame for no help being hired. When I first started doing everything months ago, I had made the statement to the hiring super that hiring anyone with less than 15 years of experience would not be prudent with what I was seeing at the time. Well, no one has applied with that kind of experience.......so no hires. I should have clarified that I meant someone in the lead role.........not a helper situation. They are currently on a hiring freeze since we are in Winter...........they do this every year so its normal for them. I'll just have to deal with it for now and that's fine...........I will adjust the workload to meet what I can do; the rest will just have to wait (been stacking them up already) or get dealer directed.:confused:

By the way...........still no response from Cat field service on my request Monday morning. I'm having to call again this morning.:rolleyes:o_O I did whip out my LOCK OUT tags and will be placing them on some of the stuff that is waiting on me. Maybe I can keep some of the stuff in the yard so I CAN get to them!

It will all work out for the better........one way or another.;)
The sad part is if the winter is slower for work it's the best time to get the machines ready for when the work picks up again. Could be a great time for them to at least assign the lube guy to work with you.

kshansen

Occupation
Yea but where I worked every winter maybe one week before shutting down production for the winter there would be a rush to rip out anything that had to be repaired for next season like crushers, screens and such. Once that was done all but a couple people layed off for the winter.

Then a few weeks before they wanted to start up production for the new year a bunch would be called back. You could almost guarantee the first couple weeks with those guys back would be the worst weather of the winter!

kshansen

Occupation
Winter? It was shorts and tshirt weather getting gas along 44 today.
;)
Yea almost same here. We did get a few days a while back that temps got into the teens but most of this winter has been more dealing with mud than snow. Most winters in the past I would be snowblowing the drive in morning to go to work and again to get back in after work!

Feel bad for the guys who marked out the local snowmobile trail just down the road as I don't think there has been a day the trail could be used yet!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Got close to 2" rain yesterday, came as hard showers so much ran off. Today wind is screaming again with a cold front sliding thru, almost 45 yesterday, be lucky to hit 40 today and hard freeze warnings back up for tonight.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
You guys in the middle get the opposite of us here in the west. It has been snowing and raining here for 2 weeks straight. One and a half days of sun lately, however now it is raining again, but supposed to dry out for a week after this. But I guess it has been in the news.