• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

This will be an interesting thread moving forward......

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
Drills are right handed for the same reason screw threads are right handed. There are far more right handed people than left handed.

Even if left handed drills were the standard, there would be right hand drills. Left hand drills do not exist to remove screws, they just work for that purpose. There were many machine tools with multiple spindle centerlines close together and geared in daisy chain fashion. This means every other spindle turns the opposite direction, thusly requiring left hand drills.
Brown & sharp screw machines use them as well when you are doing a tapping operation.

hvy 1ton

The switches didn't come with the rocker part LOL. Does anyone else think this is just stupid?
All Carling rocker switches are like that; One part number for the switch one part number for the cover. Were the old switch covers broken or worn? Only takes a small flat head from the under the cover to pop one tab loose.

Vetech63

All Carling rocker switches are like that; One part number for the switch one part number for the cover. Were the old switch covers broken or worn? Only takes a small flat head from the under the cover to pop one tab loose.
2 of 3 were missing. I expected the switches to come with those and apparently my parts guy did too.

Vetech63

I just got to the rest of those broken bolts this morning. It took me about an hour but the difficult 3 are out. I'll chase threads Monday and hopefully what I ordered will be here Monday too.
I just welded nuts to the ends and zipped them out with the impact gun. I didn't get that one on the right centered very well did I...........sue me!!!!:D.700K screws out.jpg

Vetech63

I started on the 60G excavator today also. I found that the pilot filter hasn't ever been changed since the machine was new............it has 5894 hours on it. I don't know if anyone ever looked for it:eek:
60G pilot filter.jpg
and look what I found on the hydraulic fill cap when I removed it.........
60G hydraulic fill cap.jpg
I'm not sure if someone dropped it in the dirt and put it back on.................or they have been scraping oil off the ground to put into the tank.:rolleyes:o_O

Vetech63

I'm still waiting on parts for 5 different machines I have torn down. I am STILL waiting on the JD/Bomag dealer to get back with me, and there is a rain/snow mix chance late today. I painted myself into a corner by having too much in the shop torn down and now have no more room for anything else.o_O Oh what to do........................

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
One of the things that has changed from when I started in this industry is the way people are pushed so hard to do everything this instant. It broke down last week but it has to be running now! All the push is put on the mechanics to get a machine running but nothing done about operators tearing stuff up. When I was an employee, I would warn would be emperors that my give a spit level was getting dangerously low so maybe they should go away. Some took the hint, on others I eventually just packed up my stuff and went somewhere else.

The gig Vetech63 is doing sounds like a gold mine to me. You know where you are going to be each day, have a good paying customer and no tin generals to raise the aggravation levels. From my point of view the biggest hassle is in writing out the invoices.

Welder Dave

It can be good and bad going to the same place all the time. A lot depends on the types of jobs you're doing. If the bulk of the jobs are from neglect and abuse and everything is caked in oil and greased soaked dirt, it would get old fast. You have to take the good with the bad but hopefully the bad isn't pathetic and day after day of scratching your head wondering why the hell you stay there, especially when there's other work available from companies who look after their machines better. If you're good at your job and known in the industry one of the biggest advantages you have is you can pick and choose which job(s) you want to tackle. It also let's you move around a bit so there's some variety in the jobs you do. Employee or self employed it's hard to stay motivated when your biggest thoughts are what kind of BS job do I have to at at that place today.

Truck Shop

One of the things that has changed from when I started in this industry is the way people are pushed so hard to do everything this instant. It broke down last week but it has to be running now! All the push is put on the mechanics to get a machine running but nothing done about operators tearing stuff up. When I was an employee, I would warn would be emperors that my give a spit level was getting dangerously low so maybe they should go away. Some took the hint, on others I eventually just packed up my stuff and went somewhere else.

For me it gets a little easier everyday, time is getting short. Someone's emergency-well
is becoming less of a problem. Drivers, operators or what ever are wet nursed to keep
them happy, all the while business owners wonder why the overhead keeps climbing.
Back to the old-you get what you paid for.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
In reality is they pay for what they receive, bad as it gets will get worse.

That huge Clay mine north of here, just released half the miners, might actually sell some machines IF can sell. Money and demand is bottoming out. Not seeing anything good occurring any time soon.