• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

This will be an interesting thread moving forward......

Vetech63

Put your wet weather gear on and start working outside.? :rolleyes::rolleyes:
LOL As long as I can pick my jobs that can't happen! The cold has me locking up with limited movement.
Why is it my hands always get cut and bleed more in the cold?

Is it because I am in a hurry to get the job done and back where it is warm? Or because my skin is numb and can't feel the cut zip tie gouging its way through until it is too late?

Do others have this problem?
Both for me.

Vetech63

After a couple of parts delays by the dealer, I started putting the blade back on the dozer yesterday. It looks like I will have a helper available when I want one, a young fella that has been running the lube truck lately. The lube truck is down (explain that one later) so he assisted me with the blade install. He will be with me again today on the PM service and a few minor things on this same dozer. Seems to be a good kid and isn't afraid of getting dirty. He hasn't been getting 40-hour weeks so I think I can use him as fill in to get those hours. We will see how this goes but I'm hopeful all will be well.

hosspuller

I just got to the rest of those broken bolts this morning. It took me about an hour but the difficult 3 are out. I'll chase threads Monday and hopefully what I ordered will be here Monday too.
I just welded nuts to the ends and zipped them out with the impact gun. I didn't get that one on the right centered very well did I...........sue me!!!!:D.

Why the slots cut across the bolt holes ? I've not seen that done before. Cut before welding for extra weld surface ? Would appreciate the explanation.

barrelroll

Occupation
Mill Mechanic
It looks like I will have a helper available when I want one, a young fella that has been running the lube truck lately. The lube truck is down (explain that one later) so he assisted me with the blade install. He will be with me again today on the PM service and a few minor things on this same dozer. Seems to be a good kid and isn't afraid of getting dirty. He hasn't been getting 40-hour weeks so I think I can use him as fill in to get those hours. We will see how this goes but I'm hopeful all will be well.

That's a unicorn in these days. Not afraid of getting dirty and actually wanting 40 hours a week.

Vetech63

Well, the 700K blade got finished yesterday after a couple of emergency break down repair delays.
700K trunnion finished.jpg
I noticed something going back together, one of the retaining washers I had removed didn't fit the bearing it was supposed to be retaining. There was so much crud on it that I didn't notice it when it was removed.
700K blade retaining washer.jpg
No big deal now that I have the correct one on, but I am surprised that this didn't come off the post at some point in the past. Deere wouldn't have done that.......right? I don't know if this has been off before or not.

Vetech63

My helper has been doing pretty good actually. He has been full of energy and eats like a horse (I took him to lunch with me, and I paid LOL) He seems to work well, pays attention, and isn't afraid to ask questions if he is unsure of something. We serviced the 700K while it was being repaired, showed him how to mark the filters, and he did most of it with me overlooking. The only thing that's freaking me out is that he keeps calling me BOSS...........OMG. Thats the last thing I need. So far, so good..........but I believe they have the small fuel truck fixed now so he will be back to that next week. I told the general super that he had done really well working with me and he seemed shocked. I guess this kid has been moved to a couple of different crews as a general laborer and it hasn't worked out. It seems the fuel truck was a last resort for the main super to keep him with the company.
What's funny is the kid spent his own money and several weeks to get his commercial truck driving license so he could run the big fuel truck, which he now operates when its running. That tells me a lot about a person. Sometimes you just have to find your niche......same way I did when I was his age.

Vetech63

Could it be that the kid can actually think and that has others afraid of him?
I'm not sure. I personally think they never had any great expectations for him anyway. I told the main super that I would like to continue to use him when he is finished doing his regular job on the fuel truck. I also told him that if something happened to his employment on the fuel truck...........I would be willing to work him full time in the shop. He agreed and again.....looked shocked.

I keep calling him kid on here, but he is an early 20's something with a young wife and really young kid. He hasn't been getting 40-hour weeks and his wife doesn't have resident status yet, so she is unable to work.
I can get him the hours he needs working with me to fill out his paycheck......as long as the company is willing. I'm going to see what he is made of in the next few weeks so we will see what happens. The good thing is........If the willingness to learn and take instruction remains positive, he could quickly become an asset to the company..........and I will DAM SURE make the company bosses understand that. I wont be afraid to make sure his pay keeps up with his ability also.....but again, as long as the company bosses co-operate with me.

I have a warm feeling this could be great for a young man that needs a break......and I am willing to give him that.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I told the general super that he had done really well working with me and he seemed shocked. I guess this kid has been moved to a couple of different crews as a general laborer and it hasn't worked out. It seems the fuel truck was a last resort for the main super to keep him with the company.
What's funny is the kid spent his own money and several weeks to get his commercial truck driving license so he could run the big fuel truck, which he now operates when its running. That tells me a lot about a person. Sometimes you just have to find your niche......same way I did when I was his age.

I wonder if that is how I would have been - I like operating equipment, right up to about the 3rd or 4th push or scoop, then I wish I was elsewhere. Mechanic work is my favorite, it is always some new place and new problem to solve.