• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

This will be an interesting thread moving forward......

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
The rod was a bent one from an old damaged cylinder so we used it to prove that the tooling worked. If something failed during the process we weren't going to lose by it.
Actually it worked out very well. The wrench moved down a few inches under the pressure of the excavator bucket and then simply fell to the ground under its own weight. It was made from 1-1/2" plate if my memory serves me right.
That kind of thing is how we worked years ago. If you needed to do a job and did not have a tool go to the shop welder and have something made.

Then after a few mergers and becoming part of a major international company with more lawyers than mechanics that changed! The last couple years I was there we were not allowed to use any shop made tools of any kind. All of a sudden those tools that had worked fine for years or decades were no longer safe.

What really pissed me off was if an outside contractor was hired to do a job in our shop no one gave a rat's ass about the cobbled up tools they might be using. Guess it was assumed their insurance would be covering their butts and not our company's!
So despite the claims about it being about "safety" it was straight out about the money out of corporate's pockets. As long as corporate did not pay you could kill or maim as many as you wanted!

JD955SC

That kind of thing is how we worked years ago. If you needed to do a job and did not have a tool go to the shop welder and have something made.

Then after a few mergers and becoming part of a major international company with more lawyers than mechanics that changed! The last couple years I was there we were not allowed to use any shop made tools of any kind. All of a sudden those tools that had worked fine for years or decades were no longer safe.

What really pissed me off was if an outside contractor was hired to do a job in our shop no one gave a rat's ass about the cobbled up tools they might be using. Guess it was assumed their insurance would be covering their butts and not our company's!
So despite the claims about it being about "safety" it was straight out about the money out of corporate's pockets. As long as corporate did not pay you could kill or maim as many as you wanted!

I think these days MSHA frowns on shop made tooling

my company does also but when the alternative “right factory made tool” is mega bucks, unavailable, or non existent I’m making my own. My company also doesn’t like cheater pipes but I’ll be damned if I’m hurting myself when more leverage is far safer for my back. The intention behind such rules might very well be more safety but a lot of the time the people who come up with these rules don’t have any time on the tools to know our reality.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
They don't want to spend the money for the right stuff and they don't want to pay for the dealer to do and they leave it up to you to find a way to get it done and then whine because a pair of slacks thinks it's unsafe?

No way to win, time to move on.

1466IH

They don't want to spend the money for the right stuff and they don't want to pay for the dealer to do and they leave it up to you to find a way to get it done and then whine because a pair of slacks thinks it's unsafe?

No way to win, time to move on.
I've seen dealers that don't have the correct tooling. Always amazed me lol

Vetech63

More HNC/TNH work that wasn't right.
Fitting1.jpg
I got to this JD333G yesterday on a problem unrelated to this leak. No one even told me there was a hydraulic leak in the first place. I noticed the lake of oil under it when I got to the machine. That cleaned off fitting in the pic was loose at 2 places....both return lines. I pulled the orings in each loose fitting.........
oring1.jpg
Right diameter, way too thick for the fitting. Pretty sure this was TNH work as HNC wouldn't have known how to get the cab tilted to get this far.

suladas

I can't see where that's anything but sabotage, something that could be claimed on insurance if it's worth it. There is no way anyone could justify that as trying to fix something. If I saw someone doing that to my stuff, there would be a fresh hole backfilled in my yard that's for sure :D

Bluox

Maybe some tweaker thought those motors are catalytic converters?
I'm beginning to think people should have to pass a background check to purchase cordless Sawzalls.
A couple of weeks ago they cut thru a chain link fence at the yard where my boy works and cut the leads off his service truck welder about a foot from the quick disconnects.
Bad Bob

joelx777

Maybe some tweaker thought those motors are catalytic converters?
I'm beginning to think people should have to pass a background check to purchase cordless Sawzalls.
A couple of weeks ago they cut thru a chain link fence at the yard where my boy works and cut the leads off his service truck welder about a foot from the quick disconnects.
Bad Bob
Or maybe just bring back lots of cops and hard jail time for criminals rather than pampering and psychologists!

hosspuller

There was a time I was in charge of insuring the destruction of machinery. Company with very deep pockets didn't want any chance of machinery being reused. Lawyers said if someone got hurt from a scrapped forming machine, company could still be part of the lawsuit. So, I rode out to the scrap yard while a hydraulic cutter on the end of an excavator cut the machine into bite sized pieces. That was fun to see. I wrote a witness statement to that effect for the files.

hosspuller

More HNC/TNH work that wasn't right.
I got to this JD333G yesterday on a problem unrelated to this leak. No one even told me there was a hydraulic leak in the first place. I noticed the lake of oil under it when I got to the machine. That cleaned off fitting in the pic was loose at 2 places....both return lines. I pulled the orings in each loose fitting.........

Right diameter, way too thick for the fitting. Pretty sure this was TNH work as HNC wouldn't have known how to get the cab tilted to get this far.

Yuk .. The oily muck under that fitting deserves an official swamp designation. I'll bet the O-ring came from a generic kit instead of an ORFS kit with 90 durometer rings...
Just a thought, does the shop even have an ORFS O-ring kit? With all the equipment that uses ORFS it should be at hand just like any other tool.