• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

This will be an interesting thread moving forward......

Vetech63

Just a thought, does the shop even have an ORFS O-ring kit?
I ran across one yesterday in their tool room. It was buried under new parts, trash, and other crap. There may be one on their service truck but I'm not sure. It hasn't moved from the west side of their shop in over 3 months. It's locked up with no access other than whomever has the keys.
I have a ORFS kit on my truck..........I don't think they matched the oring thickness.....just the diameter. My kit has 2 different ones for that diameter oring.

Vetech63

There was a time I was in charge of insuring the destruction of machinery. Company with very deep pockets didn't want any chance of machinery being reused. Lawyers said if someone got hurt from a scrapped forming machine, company could still be part of the lawsuit. So, I rode out to the scrap yard while a hydraulic cutter on the end of an excavator cut the machine into bite sized pieces. That was fun to see. I wrote a witness statement to that effect for the files.
This is a possibility but there are 4 other Ingersols there right next to the damaged ones that haven't been touched.

Vetech63

I've been waiting since Sunday for a CB64 roller to show up in the yard from a job in the Oklahoma state panhandle about 5 hours away. It seems they have burned up one of the vibrator eccentrics in the rear drum...............but that's another story....and expensive too! Anyway..........It still hasn't shown up, so I called the job super yesterday to find out what's going on. It's still there.............it seems they hired a local to Tulsa trucking outfit to haul some of the equipment back to Tulsa and this machine was supposed to be on that truck. The driver loaded equipment, left the job with the equipment, drove an hour away from the job.........then quit his driving job. Left the truck and the equipment sitting on the side of the highway. WTF!!?? I just don't get people anymore. It is supposed to be in the yard today.

Remember that skid loader with the broken track from a month ago? The new tracks showed up late yesterday. Took 3 weeks to get them from Texas to Oklahoma......:eek::rolleyes:o_O

Vetech63

I got the tracks on and adjusted today. Believe it or not, this machine had been serviced back in April of 2022. It shocked me at first, especially since there was a date and hours recorded on the filters :eek: There was also 2 initials "BD" ............Now I get it.......this was serviced by someone at the JD dealership. Neither HNC nor TNH have those initials. ;) It had just under 400 hours since the April service........so it got serviced again today. Its ready to rock and roll.

Cat CB64 still didn't show up...........I have no clue when to expect it at this point. I trying to decide whether I should tackle this job or not. I can do it.............it's that the company really isn't tooled for it. In other words, it will have to be done outside since there is no way to lift the drum inside the shop. I'll have to check the drum weight with the eccentric still in it and see if I think I can forklift the drum out of the shop to turn it on its end. If so..........its game on!

I guess TNH was stashing his paycheck stubs in a first aid cabinet on the shop wall. I found them today when I was going through cabinets to see if there was anything in them. This company was paying him $35.00 an hour:confused:........about $15 too much if you ask me from what I've seen. HNC's hourly was supposedly higher but I don't know that as fact. A cat field tech told me earlier this week that he was being paid $35 an hour and he had more than twice the experience of TNH. I just found this funny.:D:p

Truck Shop

Pretty simple, TNH and HNC were lousy in their so called profession. But both did have a very credible
talent at being great/fantastic {bull sh!tters}. The owners swallowed it hook line and sinker and over
paid them for their bull sh!t.

I would guess both TNH and HNC standing in the right light had brown 4" circles in the middle of
their faces.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Can remember my bosses in the 80s bringing in the New Hires and putting them on MY Shift, expecting ME to get them up to speed. I was having enough issues with guys that would drag ass thinking could slip Straight Time into a Chargeable hours job. One guy was taxed with wiring up side markers on a framed 32' dump trailer, supposed to be a electrical whiz but proved just a whiz. Got the wiring done so showed me lights worked, told him would not last where had to raise the bed for proof to him as he wired DROOPED UNDER THE RAILS that pulled away as soon as got it lifting. He looked at me and said 'The Frame does not raise too?' Another two hours of rerouting nothing worked so fired him, finished the job myself, took less than a half hour. Fired SEVERAL of this caliber of Uselessness, many could not even gain employ at the local dump. One guy was hired as a 'Detroit Tech', where had a low power complaint that had several filters changed by owner made no difference, first thing he asked for was filters, first thing I told him was check transfer pressure and lines for rubs, got deer in headlights double blink and he asked, How do you check pressure? He lasted another hour staring at the truck with a pressure gauge sitting on the frame rail. Could not find the transfer pump on a 6L71 in a CO4070A IH.

JD955SC

Can remember my bosses in the 80s bringing in the New Hires and putting them on MY Shift, expecting ME to get them up to speed. I was having enough issues with guys that would drag ass thinking could slip Straight Time into a Chargeable hours job. One guy was taxed with wiring up side markers on a framed 32' dump trailer, supposed to be a electrical whiz but proved just a whiz. Got the wiring done so showed me lights worked, told him would not last where had to raise the bed for proof to him as he wired DROOPED UNDER THE RAILS that pulled away as soon as got it lifting. He looked at me and said 'The Frame does not raise too?' Another two hours of rerouting nothing worked so fired him, finished the job myself, took less than a half hour. Fired SEVERAL of this caliber of Uselessness, many could not even gain employ at the local dump. One guy was hired as a 'Detroit Tech', where had a low power complaint that had several filters changed by owner made no difference, first thing he asked for was filters, first thing I told him was check transfer pressure and lines for rubs, got deer in headlights double blink and he asked, How do you check pressure? He lasted another hour staring at the truck with a pressure gauge sitting on the frame rail. Could not find the transfer pump on a 6L71 in a CO4070A IH.

we had an idiot go through the same diesel/heavy equipment program I went through who didn’t know how to tell the difference between 12 and 24v wiring schemes or how to drive an AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION backhoe.

He spent most of his time sitting on his computer looking at Facebook instead of doing his work.

Mbar

Vetech63

Might be sneaking into a caught up moment or two.
Getting a maintenance schedule created and followed?
If that's the case it's a one man show-no need in a second mechanic.
Yes and no. There is still plenty of work to do. I have been concentrating on the everyday repairs and equipment coming to their shop for repairs. The problem right now is turning money fast enough to keep going at this pace. They aren't getting past the normal 30-day payout, but I am sinking so much into them the 30-day terms are not efficient for me to keep operating. When I'm billing $5-10K a week and only getting back half of that............something has to give shortly. I have shut the operation down to them for the short term but if they take very long to pay up within reason............I will just get behind again and the cycle will start all over. I may have to call the old man to get this straight, but I'm giving the son in charge a chance to correct this issue first.

AzIron

Yes and no. There is still plenty of work to do. I have been concentrating on the everyday repairs and equipment coming to their shop for repairs. The problem right now is turning money fast enough to keep going at this pace. They aren't getting past the normal 30-day payout, but I am sinking so much into them the 30-day terms are not efficient for me to keep operating. When I'm billing $5-10K a week and only getting back half of that............something has to give shortly. I have shut the operation down to them for the short term but if they take very long to pay up within reason............I will just get behind again and the cycle will start all over. I may have to call the old man to get this straight, but I'm giving the son in charge a chance to correct this issue first.
You mean quarterly pay is a deal breaker guys should be lining up to only get 4 checks a year

Raise your dam rate every time they get behind cause clearly your the bank so make the interest on your money for loaning it them

Vetech63

Finally got money so it's back to work........even though the layoff got me further behind. I ordered a replacement idler pulley assembly from Bomag last week.........it only comes as an assembly. I picked it up and drove 1.5 hours away to install it so this machine can get going. I removed the failed assembly then installed the new one. Before I get the belt tightened up, I notice that the pulley is a bit out of line with the crank and fan pulleys. So,

I start comparing the pulley and the bracket.........
Bomag pulley.jpg
It seems the new bracket is stepped more than the old one so I had to put the new pulley on the old adjust bracket so it would line up. This pulley/bracket assembly was ordered by model and serial number......it just wasn't right. For $673.00 you would think this would be right on the money. Now I have a new bracket that gets no use. Overpriced and wrong........meh, what's new:rolleyes:o_O

AllDodge

Not surprised, part numbers get mixed. Took me 3 times to get the right exhaust manifold from CAT
I might think contact bomag and see if there can be a fix or at least a reduction in price

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Had several as that years ago on IH products
Varied from old DT powered tractors and HE to trucks
Variables to all and would interchangeably mount just were wrong for applications.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I start comparing the pulley and the bracket.........
View attachment 267753
It seems the new bracket is stepped more than the old one so I had to put the new pulley on the old adjust bracket so it would line up. This pulley/bracket assembly was ordered by model and serial number......it just wasn't right. For $673.00 you would think this would be right on the money. Now I have a new bracket that gets no use. Overpriced and wrong........meh, what's new:rolleyes:o_O

Well I guess at least your lucky they did not change the way the pulley mounts to the bracket. So at least you have a usable machine.