• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The one man show to grow

Fastdirt

Work looks awesome, it's like art compared to what we can do up here in the land of boulders. When do you sleep lol? Your posts are always late at night, then you're at it again early the next day!

Well, for the last 14 days I have been in major pain with a wisdom tooth that has got me in so much pain I can't sleep. I was always a night owl anyway. The last two days were very sleep deprived, hard to sleep with a pounding head. And yes we hit rock often and gets ugly,

Fastdirt

You do some nice work! And looks like you have some damn good ground guys and dedicated to you. Are you the only operator, truck driver? Your dedication is impressive to say the least. Wish we had dirt like that all over to work in. Finally had some the other day, was digging sanitary laterals off the main line. All I kept thinking about was keeping my walls like your pictures. I love a good clean cut. We aren't under a lot of pressure on this job, so I took some extra time to really try to make stuff nice, even though we backfilled it right away. Just wanted the practice.

Thank you. My guys are great, I just hope I don't burn them out and down.

Yes, I am the only one right now. It's all me and the laborers and I'm killing myself. I'm looking for a guy that can help me out and do jobs too. Might be awhile before I can find a class A driver who can operate and is what I'm looking for.

It's great that you have the passion too...pretty cool thinking about the pictures while at work. I too think about the work pics I see here a lot, and I should comment more on them actually showing my appreciation.

Shear cutting has always been my favorite thing to do. Especially if you don't have to be an exact 6" off the form board like these pools. If you can just go till your cut gets perfect without worry of being a few inches too much or too little, then it's fun to see how perfect you can get it. Like digging a basement, you can shear cut like magic, because you don't have an exact cut to be at. Just an approx. 3' or 4' over dig. Doing pools you absolutely cannot over cut anywhere, it has to be right there on the line. I used to shear cut apartments on a track loader. The two story in the front and three story in the back style. I would do shear cuts for the foundation walls that could easily be 200' long or even 300' and up to 15' high. It was quite a technique to do and keep the tracks level as dirt falls down and makes the loader camber away from the shear cut. The grade foreman really had that job upheld high.. He was doubting any newcomer could shear cut the way they had done it for decades. Well, I stayed late one day and cut a shear cut by myself on the open cab 953B and did it right. It was all that 53 could do to reach up 13' to 15' high and make the shear cut. These cuts were huge, the company would leave the upper pad 4' higher for back fill dirt. Engineers would stake the building and we'd offset the stakes for the shear cut. When finished It was a couple feet over the top of the D9L when you were looking at it from the bottom, and if it wasn't, somebody did something wrong. Very tricky. The crew would build the upper pad to grade and we'd all track in the slope and then shear cut out for the wall going off the offset stakes. When shear cutting the cut dirt would fall under one track and you have to keep the machine at zero camber and the cut dirt would raise the 953 high enough to achieve a cut that it couldn't normally reach. You then have to cut that dirt out also. So, the next day on the headsets, one of the guys said " Hey, Brian (the foreman's name) did you see that shear cut Brian made(my name too).".........nothing but radio silence. I knew I did it right, he just couldn't acknowledge it at the time. The guy on the 973 quit shortly after that, and then I had the 973 doing all the finish work for the whole crew. It was my glory moment and job. Short lived though, one day I went to lunch and instead of returning to the crew I just drove home. Regretted that move months later and called the owner, and he told me he had big plans for me , but he didn't put up with people who walk off the job.... Fair, I said and I carried on with my life. I was only about 23 yrs. old or so. By the way we would have to go back and clip the top of the shear cut for OSHA standards and put up orange safety fence to avoid somebody or something going off a 14' to 15' drop. Oh, and a lot of the apartments had step downs every two units to meet elevations, which made it even trickier.

I too have run laterals like you on 30 ton hoes working with 650's and 450's on the main line. It was scary watching deep cuts collapse after the double stacked trench boxes get dragged up the line. Looking back, I've really done my time and enjoyed it all, I and wouldn't trade it for nothing.

Fastdirt

Digging pools is definitely a specialized field and you seem to do a fine job of it Fastdirt. As for starting off as a small business I remember those days and it is a ton of fun. Doing the work is the easy part, office work and solving problems for clients gets tricky. I see you have an eye for detail which probably keeps your clients from calling anyone else, keep it up!

Regards, CD

Thanks CD, I'm a fan of your thread. I am overwhelmed with the office work at times and have yet to get leveled out there.....don't even know if it's possible and I'm just a one crew deal. I have a list I've made out and I just try to accomplish it. CPA, Ins., payroll, maintenance, repairs, getting accounts set up where I buy material, etc. etc. Hard to get any respect out there from people when they know you are not a company with a lot of business for them. Even getting stickers for my doors on the trucks and such. I understand though. I have people calling me wanting a little backyard grading and to be honest, I put that way on the backburner and don't really want that work. I want repeat customers who are successful and pay their subs. Now, I feel I need an operator/CDL driver and it scares me honestly. I'll just have to be super patient. That seems to be a method for success, but there is no way I can do the work load I have this year by myself. I picked up new customers and was already busy this year. I will lose customers by way of too much pressure or just by bowing out. Lot to consider. It will work out however it's supposed to I suppose. I'm only human, but I sure wish I was a machine sometimes.

I would like to use my experience I have earned out there doing commercial pipe and grading but that's a far scope for now. I realize like most who have worked for huge companies that you've done things as an employee that you could never do as a small company. Still, doesn't matter if I've done it as an employee, when the ball is in your hands it's so much responsibility and uncertainty. Even though you've seen it and done it before. Like you all very exciting. I've worked near 80 hours this week and need rest....when I wake up and put the rig in reverse to leave I don't even think about anything but my next move.

cherokee101

I pirouetted my little dozer almost off a lowboy. Long story short, I-beam ramps, narrow ramps, wrong setting for my track width, light rain, steel on steel, new machine to me etc.

An old man told me one time that is what ROPS and seat belts are for. If it is going down ride it down and don't try to get off. Better in it than under it. I'm a believer. I only stepped off one once. It was going into the river and I was headed for the bank.

blowerman

Do you have close relations with any other small (1or 2 man) outfits in your area? After I thinned out equipment over the past few years, instead of buying and adding crews, I simply bring on a one man independent guy to assist. He's got his own stuff, it's well maintained, and skill level up with the best. I pay him a premium, but less then the cost to hold new equipment and guys.

Fastdirt

I pirouetted my little dozer almost off a lowboy. Long story short, I-beam ramps, narrow ramps, wrong setting for my track width, light rain, steel on steel, new machine to me etc.

An old man told me one time that is what ROPS and seat belts are for. If it is going down ride it down and don't try to get off. Better in it than under it. I'm a believer. I only stepped off one once. It was going into the river and I was headed for the bank.

I agree with you. Can't ever be too careful. I unloaded Thursday in the rain with muddy tracks. I took my sweet time as you can see here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnhXwdMYHoI&feature=share&list=UUwmjLTz3Ih_Uk7akHrTTieA

Why no ditching bucket for the pools? Would it not save a lot of clean up for the ground crew?

I've never done them with anything other than a GP bucket. It works fine, but I'd love to have a swivel boom, a dozer blade, a compactor attachment, a swivel bucket, quick connect, etc.. but it just seems like any of that is a distraction and would slow me down. I don't know though because I don't have experience with a ditching bucket, but to me if you can finish with a GP bucket then all is well....not to mention the money, transport, and time involved. Maybe one day.

Do you have close relations with any other small (1or 2 man) outfits in your area? After I thinned out equipment over the past few years, instead of buying and adding crews, I simply bring on a one man independent guy to assist. He's got his own stuff, it's well maintained, and skill level up with the best. I pay him a premium, but less then the cost to hold new equipment and guys.

I don't know of anybody like that, if I had a trustworthy skilled guy I could make things happen. I have two machines, two trucks, and two trailers. It will come in time I'm certain. I don't know about subbing out work in my position when I'm already a sub myself.

Fastdirt

I somehow did about 80 hours this week. I count the time I get in the rig till the time I get out of it. I really pushed. I still can't think my equipment and guys enoigh for being so reliable. After the crazy New years job I got to the pond job on a wet freezing morning. Spent two days there slowly releasing the water to make way for a horse pasture. Then a pool yesterday that I hit a nasty trash pit on forcing me to stay on the job till 8:00. Luckily I found the trash pit right off the start and had gravel base on site to pack back in where I had to over excavate everything.

20140102_090140 (640x480).jpg

20140102_103338 (640x480).jpg

20140102_103349 (640x480).jpg

20140102_103401 (640x480).jpg

20140102_110348 (640x480).jpg

Fastdirt

"Hey Jenaro, take a pic"...I'll look natural like it just happened. My guy walked around taking a few shots but they never get the action I have the eye for. Boy, I could get some good shots of an operator if I had free reign on someone else's job site.

DSC00115 (640x480).jpg

DSC00117 (640x480).jpg

DSC00120 (640x141).jpg

DSC00121 (640x141).jpg

Fastdirt

Then yesterday's trash pit.. The house was bought from a builder who built this house and lived in it for awhile. The new owner was told that there would be no problem for a pool. I got the job done and done right, but I didn't stop and luckily brought my lunch. Some areas have a noise ordinance after 7 p.m., but I was far from the rural areas here. I've been stopped by the law quite a few times working late. I had to over excavate everything and walk and pack it back in. I tried borrow pits everywhere and just kept hitting buried logs and stumps. I did find some good places to rob good red dirt in the end, and I had three loads of gravel on site. One was planned for the floor for incoming rains, the other two were for a drive access.

DSC00128 (640x480).jpg

DSC00129 (640x480).jpg

DSC00131 (640x480).jpg

DSC00132 (640x480).jpg

DSC00140 (640x480).jpg

Fastdirt

Well this year 2014 marks a 20 year birthday for my pride and joy, The 94 L9000. It has been better than I ever could've ever imagined. I got her a trucker GPS and weighed it loaded yesterday at the truck stop. "20 years old" just has a nice ring to it. I had one lady say are "we paying for that new truck out there". I was flattered. I did a walk around video over the Holiday break after servicing and cleaning it. I need to upload it soon. It sure has been a pleasure this last week with the trailer having straight wheels and axles. I really love the alum. wheels and need to get the welder out soon for toolboxes. Oh the trailer got a new 2 speed jack straight from Eager Beaver and the decal kit came too.

My truck scales around 23,500 lbs. at the quarry and the trailer is about 8,500 lbs. according to the website.
DSC00144.jpg

Had to use it last night to get home. It is a truck specific GPS. I've been eyeing them for awhile and just never see them at stores. I recently noticed them at truck stops. It warns of sharp turns, restrictions, heights, bridge limits, etc. So nice. I just hope it finds all the addresses I enter. My last Garmin wouldn't find 60% of the jobs I put it in....so I just through out the window one day and started using my phone GPS. While it worked alright, it could be a pain.
DSC00145.jpg

What a catch I found while at the truck stop. No chrome and all business on this rig. New trailer, and great load securement. Love the new Cat. What are we looking at....a 1/2 million bucks there.
DSC00123 (640x480).jpg

DSC00124 (640x360).jpg

DSC00125 (640x360).jpg

bigshow

It's nice to see a fella take pride in his work, and you sir do some mighty fine work. Good luck in the new year and happy birthday to your truck.

Fastdirt

Happy birthday old Ford. 20 years. They made this truck for 30 years. My Dad brought me up Ford and never got to see this one, but he'd love it. Love the fact that it is an L9000 and that the trailer is a 20XPT. Actually the very first truck I drove after the F700 on my first job was a Ford L9000 about this year too. It had a weakling Cat motor. I bet this little L10 would out pull it. Since my speedo does not work I don't know the miles, and now the GPS shows me how slow I actually drive. It will run about 62 mph comfortably on the highway, but you have to plan ahead for hills. I realize that it's an extremely endangered truck and anybody who is not forced to buy a budget truck would never look back a these style trucks, but I got this truck and trailer combo for the price of a brand new Eager beaver 20XPT trailer alone and they haven't changed. The L10 is a an 06 reman that just humms so smooth. It is so smooth and responsive. I mean maybe the smoothest motor I've experienced. The little small block is a worker. Hope the turned up fuel doesn't melt her...that would mean I would have to find a wrecked L9000 with a 3406.

DSC00087 (640x480).jpg

DSC00088 (640x480).jpg

DSC00400 (640x480).jpg

DSC00403 (640x480).jpg

DSC00408 (640x480).jpg

Fastdirt

Didn't know the condition of the front tires when I got it going. All I had to do was watch Youtube of "Front tire blowouts on big trucks". That will make you take your rent money to the tire store if not give it up entirely. So friggin risky everyday.

IMG_20120630_085710 (640x480).jpg

Before

Phone%20pics%20817.jpg

After

com_rocktide_servlet55.jpg

This is a job from last winter behind a Mercedes Benz shop expansion job I got. I had time to do all the grading, all the hauling, all the logging LOL. Except I had to hire a good buddy from high school to top the trees. He swung from tree to tree like an animal. I gave him $2500 to top about 20 dangerously tall trees. He only wanted $2k, but as always it turned out to be more work that first quoted. They were so tight and too close to the building. I didn't make much on that job, but I loved doing it and it was a great winter job. Plus I got to see my friend at work swinging from tree to tree. He's about 6'4" with a big build. His guy called a cross between a squirrel and an oger. I laughed my butt off, as our necks were bent up watching him. Very professional guy. Nice to see a guy I went to school with succeed. I'd never do what he did..
424405_550052161671703_708220155_n.jpg

431316_550049868338599_1279187308_n.jpg

Fastdirt

I also got stuck one day hauling off some dirt. I was advertising "Free Dirt" with a sign out front and on Craigslist. It was hauling to all kinds of places to get rid of the dirt. It was the wet season and at one location I got stuck on my third and last load behind an old in town house. Stuck video.http://http://youtu.be/MtW4pKYnwsE

555200_550051968338389_577091430_n.jpg

582344_550048925005360_33729776_n.jpg

734314_550052071671712_8636680_n.jpg

734325_550051881671731_1172592831_n.jpg

71867_550052961671623_895555155_n.jpg

Fastdirt

This is back when renting skid steers. This is what they sent me when I ordered a skid steer. I took these pics and sent them to my salesman at that place. It wouldn't even go anywhere on that wet job. That was the day I decided to find one to buy. I was just over the run around and failure of renting skid steers.
20130221_105121 (480x640).jpg

20130221_105130 (480x640).jpg

I used this Bobcat once or twice. Too small for me.
com_rocktide_servlet5M1TED6H.jpg

This guy was hired to move the dirt for me.
com_rocktide_servlet1234321.jpg

This was a good rental skid steer, but still money gone.
com_rocktide_servletHD1H2RWU.jpg

I had a rented New Holland for a basement backfill that busted a hyd. leak and I had to get the home builder go get me a bucket of fluid to get it on the trailer. It was my first time working for him. That machine leaked all out onto the street while on the trailer and I left at least a half mile trail of fluid out of the neighborhood.