• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The one man show to grow

Fastdirt

I'm still not done, but I did get ready for the alignment guys this weekend. My Hutch link was bent when I bought the trailer. Somebody was just mean to this trailer before I got it. So, I picked that up today too. Finally, a break...it was less than 40 bucks. I am just happier than ever spending my money on this finally. I love the look, and no more embarrassing wobbling rims.

DSC00038 (640x480).jpg

DSC00052 (640x480).jpg

DSC00042 (640x480).jpg

DSC00046 (640x480).jpg

DSC00047 (640x480).jpg

Fastdirt

Today went ok, but the dumpster situation was bad in the end. Six total dumpsters, two companies. One company was slow and fair priced. The second company was fast, but pulled a per ton hat trick on me. I was just happy it got done and I could get out of there.

Accidentally deleted the before pics, but imagine a semi burned double wide with a block foundation. I separated the I beams and was thinking about putting them with my wheel/hub take offs from yesterday, but in the end I gave the steel to the scrappers that were lurking. They were pretty happy, and I can guarantee that they got it all on their little pick-up by now.

DSC00002.jpg

DSC00003.jpg

DSC00005.jpg

DSC00009.jpg

DSC00008.jpg

AlldayRJ

You seem to use a lot of dumpsters, have you thought about converting to a rolloff or buying a truck already set up for it? Im contemplating making that leap in a year or two with just a single axle cdl truck so i can pull ten yarders of concrete and dirt

Fastdirt

Back to my timeline, if anybody is still listening...

After renting big hammers, I decided to buy a wrecking ball. I do charge more to dig in rock, but I cannot destroy my machine. That 24" bucket really came in handy when trying to get through rock, plus it only has three teeth that are far apart. I had experience with one so I knew how effective one can be when used right. I just wasn't sure how to match one to my machine. I put out a thread on HEF earlier this year asking where to buy one. One of the good members here led me to Ginnow Equipment. I tried to find one around here, but nobody had one or any leads where to get one. I did find one big demo company that would rent me thier's, but they wanted too much per day. I just really needed to own one. When talking to Mr. Ginnow we couldn't figure whether to go with the 1.5 ton or 2 ton. I bought the 2 ton. Wasn't sure if my machine would like it or not. I had two open rock digs I pulled off of at the time, so I had to make it happen really quick. They had a 4,000 lb. ball tested and ready to ship. Apparently if they don't cool correct or get poured right they could crack.

This is one job where I hit some serious rock. I ran up to the local rental place and got a backhoe with a hammer that you see in the picture. It did absolutely nothing after trying for a couple hours. I had to return it and pull my machine off. I didn't tell anybody my plan. I just let them think I was coming back with a 30 ton machine and hammer. My plan was to hurry up and get the ball. I hit another serious rock dig two days later and had to pull off it also. I let them think the same thing. I had to get the ball now, and it had to work. Well it got me through both those jobs and has been great on poured walls and shotcrete pools and rock jobs. Haven't rented a hammer since. My machine handled it fairly well. You have to treat it like an egg though. It is a heck of grab and will rock your teeth out if you just go to grab it and it can get wedged in the big bucket. I had never tried to use one with a thumb before. I started out with a semi tire chained to the ball. I would just grab the tire to lift it. That method works good when you need to swing the ball at a rock or concrete wall. Not by swinging the machine. That could destroy any machine in a hurry. Just back and forth with the stick movement and some good timing.

528418_598708193472766_703935003_n.jpg

20130404_140738.jpg

61567_598709170139335_730111906_n.jpg

310967_598712413472344_724031760_n.jpg

381443_598709210139331_571954936_n.jpg

Fastdirt

Some pics of the first job after getting all the rock out. I had dump trucks bringing in good red dirt and I was loading them with all the rock on the return. I was very happy to succeed and get through these two brutal digs.

The ball also comes in handy on demolition work. It destroyed this poured wall foundation...http://http://youtu.be/ahsilL5JcYs

384514_598710386805880_242076625_n.jpg

408642_598711690139083_462163615_n.jpg

417925_598709310139321_1773678463_n.jpg

733879_598711903472395_271582137_n.jpg

I started putting dirt on the rock pile, but it is about 90% rock... I've always said "oh the landscaper will take care of that"...but I don't think so here. We actually had to get rid of that stuff.

528456_598711990139053_396753222_n.jpg

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Looks like you need a pin grabber quick coupler to make your bucket changes a little faster, but nice work!

Fastdirt

You seem to use a lot of dumpsters, have you thought about converting to a rolloff or buying a truck already set up for it? Im contemplating making that leap in a year or two with just a single axle cdl truck so i can pull ten yarders of concrete and dirt

Not for me. I'm not a trucker. I do think if you get in it right you can make money. The good thing is you can find drivers, but you never know how that will work out. There is a lot of competition in roll-offs. Most established grading and hauling companies have branched out into the roll off market. I haven't used my dumpster guy on the last two because of location. I have a local demo coming up and checked with him today to see if he can do the job with me. He said he is selling his whole setup for $200,000. He's got several trucks, several cans, and a TL150.... He wants a break from it and wants to try something else. Tough business if you are not established. Just like today. One company couldn't keep up, so I called another company to pick up the slack. It just seems so competitive, but the dominant guys are banking I'm sure of it. Good luck and buy some good used stuff and go for it.

Pricing against so many other companies can be tough.. You know the saying " You can send two truckers into a whore house full of whores, and they will screw each other" :D

Fastdirt

Looks like you need a pin grabber quick coupler to make your bucket changes a little faster, but nice work!

Thank you. I lift over my guys frequently and can't risk the bucket coming off and hitting somebody. Otherwise I would love to have one. I've heard of that happening before. Couldn't imagine that...pretty risky

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator

Fastdirt

Most hydraulic pin grabbers have a fail safe of one kind or another so that doesn't happen. I'd stay away from the wedge couplers like Weldco-Beales, I know Cat makes a pin-grabber that would be worth looking at and Geith also makes one that has to measure up to the much higher European safety standards.

http://www.cat.com/en_US/products/n...lock-pin-grabber-quick-couplers/18271262.html

http://www.geith.com/quick_coupler_na.aspx

Thanks so much for the insight. I think about having a quick connect all the time. I was just concerned about safety, and wasn't aware of a fail safe setup. I will start inquiring, because I want a sheeps foot roller or a combo roller/bucket. I am always packing dirt, and I really have a direct physical side effect the days I pack dirt, which is on every pool job. Something behind my ribs hurts all day and night after compacting dirt, It's ben two years now. I just get in a rhythm and BAM BAM BAM. I've had neighbors come and complain that I'm shaking their walls and I can here when my guy does it from a 1/4 mile away. It's really brutal and there is a fix with the right setup and investment.....That would be my main motivation to get one really. Plus having the 24" bucket on stumps is great. Tiltorator would be incredible too. I'm imagining big money for a good setup :eek: One can dream.

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Yeah I ran a mini-excavator with a tilt rotator and it added $20,000 to the overall price of the machine! Yeah banging the bucket like that on the ground can't be good for the machine either. You could always look at getting a vibrating plate compactor I've used them many times in the past and they do a nice job you basically you massage the ground back and forth till you get a black sheen on the dirt which is the moisture coming up and is a good indicator that you've got good compaction. I've never used the excavator mounted sheepsfoot compactors before so I couldn't tell you how effective they are but the Allied 'hoe pac' works wonders.

http://www.alliedcp.com/products/compactor.asp

Fastdirt

Thanks 245 and d4c24a. I am definitely going to start looking into this. I've always wanted a quick connect. I just never thought past the fear of one coming off and killing somebody. So thanks.

I did get the Eager Beaver 20XPT straightened out this morning. Had an appointment this morning at 8 a.m., and left at 11 a.m. as one happy customer. Turns out my axles were way off from straight and way off from one another. He replaced the bent adjustable link with the new adjustable link. That was on the left rear axle.

Had an appointment, so I was the only customer on this Saturday morning. Very professional shop here that specializes in heavy truck and trailer alignment. I couldn't find them on my own, but the tire company that did my hubs referred me to them since they were incapable of aligning my trailer with their Hunter equipment, although on the phone they claimed they could align the trailer. Turns out this place takes over when the tire company cannot get it right. I love specialized companies, not just a company that buys expensive machines and branches out and then claims they can do it.

DSC00067 (640x480).jpg

Before report
DSC00073 (640x522).jpg

After report
DSC00074 (640x522).jpg

Fastdirt

This equipment just makes since to me. Not the hitch mounted equipment that I recently have seen.

DSC00057 (640x480).jpg

DSC00059 (640x480).jpg

DSC00061 (640x480).jpg