• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The one man show to grow

Fastdirt

Very cool, how did they do the adjustment? Pretty much a brand new trailer now !

The trailer jack went out just recently. The gears just stripped out and it doesn't lift the trailer. So, I ordered a replacement from Eager Beaver along with the new decal kit. I am going to mount underbody tool boxes under the deck on both sides to hold shovels and tools. Then I will have the welder fab up a link for the ramps so they can fold all the way down on the deck and rest there. I don't like how the stand up now. Then put on some mud flaps. Do a light scuff and buff, and put a fresh coat of black on it. Put on the new decals and some side blinkers.....and then it will be done. Lot of work, but it will make my life easier in the long run.

The adjustment is made by simply turning the threaded rods in the Hutchins links like a tie rod. One on each axle controls all the alignment.
Hutch9700_Suspension.jpg

Thanks. That's a good read right there. The statistics make it a difficult decision.

dirthog28

Great thread and stories you got Brian, keep them going really enjoy reading them. Nice equipment and great looking work. Your story reminds me of myself only I haven't pull the plug and gone on my own yet. Started out doing residential dirt work and then subdivision and commercial and now been doing highway work for the past 10 years as a operator/foreman getting burned out and ready to go back to residential on my own. On your pool digs, is everything pretty much trimmed by hand they look awesome when done, one of the local guys around here does a lot of basements and pools, he's got a 312 with a helac swivel and a 40-48" smooth lip bucket, but our pools aren't like yours around here. Anway looks awesome keep it.

d4c24a

The trailer jack went out just recently. The gears just stripped out and it doesn't lift the trailer. So, I ordered a replacement from Eager Beaver along with the new decal kit. I am going to mount underbody tool boxes under the deck on both sides to hold shovels and tools. Then I will have the welder fab up a link for the ramps so they can fold all the way down on the deck and rest there. I don't like how the stand up now. Then put on some mud flaps. Do a light scuff and buff, and put a fresh coat of black on it. Put on the new decals and some side blinkers.....and then it will be done. Lot of work, but it will make my life easier in the long run.

The adjustment is made by simply turning the threaded rods in the Hutchins links like a tie rod. One on each axle controls all the alignment.
View attachment 112220

Thanks. That's a good read right there. The statistics make it a difficult decision.

i would have no concerns working around a machine equipped with a hill hitch ,semi auto/manuals would be different kettle of fish

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
i would have no concerns working around a machine equipped with a hill hitch ,semi auto/manuals would be different kettle of fish

Well I have worked with Keltec, Miller, Geith, Dromone, Hill and some locally made ones as both semi and automatic set up and in my opinion it down to the operator. Hill did make one that was a pain in the ass to change a bucket, the miller bug swing lock would jam when a breaker was used for an extended period often requiring a sledge and drift to shift it.
To be honest I would use any form of q-hitch over changing a bucket manually.
I'll say it again it the operator that defines how safe a hitch is.

Fastdirt

Great thread and stories you got Brian, keep them going really enjoy reading them. Nice equipment and great looking work. Your story reminds me of myself only I haven't pull the plug and gone on my own yet. Started out doing residential dirt work and then subdivision and commercial and now been doing highway work for the past 10 years as a operator/foreman getting burned out and ready to go back to residential on my own. On your pool digs, is everything pretty much trimmed by hand they look awesome when done, one of the local guys around here does a lot of basements and pools, he's got a 312 with a helac swivel and a 40-48" smooth lip bucket, but our pools aren't like yours around here. Anway looks awesome keep it.

I think unless you have connections you just about have to start in residential work, but so much competition. The one thing I never did was road work, other than decel and excel lanes. I never really loved working on crews to be honest. As far as the pools, yes I have to trim my digs perfect. Well, I don't. My incredibly hard working guys do. We use heavy trim bars that will give you blisters before 9 a.m. if you're not a laborer. We use pick hoes, sharp shooters, and shovels. Everything is within an inch. It's brutal work and I have been through so many guys. The standard is just so high. I've tried white guys with tough stories, but they quit before lunch time. I get my butt kicked too. The standard has been set so high around metro Atlanta that you have to be perfect and that's just the dirt trimming. I can get real close with my machine which saves so much labor and time. On some you can get the walls perfect with the bucket, but way more hand trimming than not. Basically every square inch is worked by hand. Now you also have setting the stakes to set the forms and they have to be perfect dead laser level and squared and parallel and exact and you get the point. It's brutal work and I stay out 16 hrs. a day a lot of times. Have to order all the material and have it here constantly. It's all consuming, and between me and you I hope to build into site work and more demo work. I'm really wanting to push more demolition work. I have the experience, I just have so far to go to get there safely.

I just do it all now. I don't care what it is. I know what I need to make per day/job and do it the absolute quickest I can. I usually average four jobs a week, sometimes five. A pool should take two days to excavate to these standards, but that cuts the money in half if it takes two days. So you don't leave till it's done. Brutal when it's 95 degrees or it get's dark at 5:30. It's very stressful and the builders are always slowing you down. But you have to be nice, otherwise I'd tell them to stay at home so I can work much faster and smoother. They have to be there to deal with nervous homeowners, etc. Same with a demo. It's a lot to do in a day. I don't have an operator yet and my brother was supposed to help build this company, but he can't hang really and has let me down too much. I really need help. This year I hope to get a big mini (or midi) excavator that can work with my skid steer. Get a thumb for the midi ex. and get a grapple for the skid steer so I can do demos, digs, and grading with another crew. I can configure my dump truck and tag to haul both if needed. That's just an option and it doesn't have to happen, but it might be a good plan. Otherwise I will just bust my tail. I had my fiancé helping with all the office stuff, but I think I've run her off for good this time. It's a lot a work. So much work!!!..but I love it to death and I always wanted more responsibility, more deadlines, and more challenges when I was grading for companies.

DSC00472 (640x480).jpg

DSC00473 (640x480).jpg

DSC00474 (640x480).jpg

DSC00478 (640x480).jpg

DSC00486 (640x480).jpg

Fastdirt

It's best to check everything before you leave.....twice...three times...or l have to come back and fix it for free.
DSC00353 (640x480).jpg

DSC00355 (640x480).jpg

DSC00358 (640x480).jpg

DSC00360 (640x480).jpg

DSC00393 (640x480).jpg

AlldayRJ

Do you do all that formwork? They dont do those types of pools here, all steel and fiberglass. Any pics showing the installation?

Fastdirt

Yes, I do every single bit of the layout and forming. Well my guys do I should say or we do it. It all falls on me. I just get handed a plan. I'm probably around 1500 pools by now, with 5 years as an employee strickly doing pools everyday and going on 3 years on my own.

I spent Monday doing a layout with glorious dirt. This was for an Atlanta Falcons player (funny I don't follow teams, and had no idea who he was). He had me ride his little boy in my lap around to the back. What do you say when the builder says " hey can you ride his little boy in the machine for them". Of course I say "sure"....Yes Mom has the iPhone pictures with my mug and a snot nose little tike in my lap... Haha, I was ok with it, and actually tried to enjoy it and let him push the track handles and drive. I'm a bit cold and iced on site because I'm so serious and focused, but I need to change my ways. I'm a one of a kind I guess.

2014 is a new start for me. I've had several people screw me last year...even the day after Christmas I got screwed demolishing a trailer. I'm moving on from all of it. I'm not going to be bogged down another day over any of it. If you want to screw a man for doing a great job for whatever reason you have, then I hope your business plan works out. I have my solid customers and then I have to take jobs from strangers. No, more going to lawyers, no more phone calls to deadbeats. Moving on, lessons learned and paid in full. Happy New Year, and looking up and FORWARD!!!!!!!! Resolution speech over. I even sent my sister a friend request today. I haven't even seen her last two newborns it's been so long.

Right on the Chattahoochee river Monday too, makes for easy dirt but I'm so glad we stayed above the water table.

DSC00076 (640x480).jpg

DSC00077 (640x480).jpg

DSC00080 (640x480).jpg

DSC00082 (640x480).jpg

DSC00083 (640x480).jpg

Fastdirt

Before I crash into a coma, I'd like to share these pics. Right now I'm beyond tired. The last two days I have 29 hours in from the time I left here to to pulling back in. Two days, six plus hrs. total travel.

I actually had a Youtube video get me this job. This customer has been trying to get me for a month. New years eve and New years day was all I could do. Tomorrow I have to go fill in a "two acre pond" and I can't wait to leave the lasers and measuring tapes in the truck. Should be easy enough to finish out the week. This guy Googled me and found my website that I built myself and added a I video to it back when I started in early 2011.

This guy owns a trucking company and the worst part of the job was talking about his custom W900l's and his 379's and Cummins, and Cat, 100,000 lbs. this and 80,000 lbs. that... and M11's, L10's, antifreeze, etc., etc. Loved it, but, too much work to chat. I could learn a lot from a business man who has 20 years on his own, but the more I talk the longer the day. He has everything huge in his successful world. He wanted a huge elaborate pool and he kept making me go bigger. So, that's where we rolled in the new year.

DSC00090 (640x480).jpg

DSC00094 (640x480).jpg

DSC00097 (640x480).jpg

DSC00099 (640x480).jpg

DSC00100 (640x480).jpg

Fastdirt

Last two winters, I was slow for a couple months. This year has been much different.

Ok, Ok, I'm done with pool pics for now. You see one, you see them all. I'll get back to the things I've experienced out on my own and different style jobs. Hope tomorrow's pond deal sounds as good as I want it to be.

20140101_173024 (640x480).jpg20140101_173106 (640x480).jpg20140101_173134 (640x480).jpg20140101_173225 (640x480).jpg20140101_173305 (640x480).jpg

nedly05

Work looks awesome, it's like art compared to what we can do up here in the land of boulders. When do you sleep lol? Your posts are always late at night, then you're at it again early the next day!

nedly05

How's your weather down there this time of year? -10 and snowing here right now. Do you see a lot of snakes on your jobs ?

390eric

You do some nice work! And looks like you have some damn good ground guys and dedicated to you. Are you the only operator, truck driver? Your dedication is impressive to say the least. Wish we had dirt like that all over to work in. Finally had some the other day, was digging sanitary laterals off the main line. All I kept thinking about was keeping my walls like your pictures. I love a good clean cut. We aren't under a lot of pressure on this job, so I took some extra time to really try to make stuff nice, even though we backfilled it right away. Just wanted the practice.

Colorado Digger

Digging pools is definitely a specialized field and you seem to do a fine job of it Fastdirt. As for starting off as a small business I remember those days and it is a ton of fun. Doing the work is the easy part, office work and solving problems for clients gets tricky. I see you have an eye for detail which probably keeps your clients from calling anyone else, keep it up!

Regards, CD