• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The one man show to grow

Landclearer

Yeah I would say those were tough ones. The digs look great as always. Not much room to spare on that last one for sure. How many yards did you move out of the last one. However many it was it was a lot to move with a skid steer one bucket at a time.

Fastdirt

Khasen we were definitely on the wrong side of the tracks. Funny how a glorious patch of woods can be in the last place you'd ever expect. There are a few guys who find the areas on google earth. The one guy spent three years cutting in singletrack and we got to ride it.

what's up with the kubota?
The thing would walk itself. If you pushed or pulled the track lever/pedals they wouldn't zero back and it would keep walking.

I asked and I received. It helped a bit in the end. Things changed. Original plan wouldn't allow the 312 to exit but we moved the pool in a foot thankfully.

Do you pull the skid and the 312 at the same time on the tag trailer?

I wish. I thought about getting the skid in the bed to save me a trip but that was just a thought.

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
some guy's around here put ramps on the front of their trailer and haul the skid in the truck and 953 on the trailer I have never driven one like that but I would think that it would ride and drive better with a little weight in the bed and on the steer axle. they just welded ramp about 2' out the front of trailer just before they would hit when jack knifed and then made the rest fold back over but low enough that the barn door would clear to open the door fold the ramps onto the bed floor back right in.

movindirt

What I am wondering the most is, has anyone ever blamed any foundation cracks on you bringing your 312 through close to it? I don't personally think it would do anything to it? :beatsme

Fastdirt

some guy's around here put ramps on the front of their trailer and haul the skid in the truck and 953 on the trailer I have never driven one like that but I would think that it would ride and drive better with a little weight in the bed and on the steer axle. they just welded ramp about 2' out the front of trailer just before they would hit when jack knifed and then made the rest fold back over but low enough that the barn door would clear to open the door fold the ramps onto the bed floor back right in.

That thought has definitely ran through my mind many times. What I think would be ideal would be if you get the tailgate to hinge at the bottom and fold down onto the trailer creating a bridge ramp and let you drive the machine up into the bed.

What I am wondering the most is, has anyone ever blamed any foundation cracks on you bringing your 312 through close to it? I don't personally think it would do anything to it? :beatsme

Not yet. I do get close to basement walls but I'm aware of cause and effect. Back in my track loader days I was told to walk right next to a basement wall to carry dirt from the back to the front with only 10' of clearance. It was a side basement wall 10' x 40' with no tee support walls. It cracked mid day but was not on me since the builders ordered me to do it.

Here's a shot from last summer. I had a conversation with the builders saying I didn't like it and would not be held responsible for a crack. A good builder would've put tee supports knowing that an excavator would be that close. I wore my seatbelt just in case a worst case scenario. No cracks..
20140615_101737.jpg

Fastdirt

Here's some fun from last week.. My guy went to check the oil at 6am in the L9000 before our two hour trip. Pulled the dipstick out and no gauge at the end of the dipstick. Made the phone call and then dumped the oil. Pulled all three drain plugs and got some lights and magnets to hunt down the gauge because he said it was there on the first pull up of the dipstick but not the second time. After no luck finding it I decided to dismount the dipstick tube which actually bolts on with a plate. Got if off the block and could shake the gauge around in the housing. It broke off in the tube between two bends. Got it back together and ordered a new one but wasn't in stock so I had to find the capacity of an L10. We usually use nine gallons so that's what I put back in. Rough start to the day...

20150805_092945.jpg

20150806_130316.jpg
I asked the loader man if he would run mine and I would run his... he laughed.
20150806_130549.jpg
Heck of storm came across the lake.
20150806_160057.jpg
Come back tomorrow.
20150806_160814.jpg

Other jobs were same ole same ole.

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
on dropping the tailgate down. I have done that before (years ago)to haul brush the trouble with that is two fold you have to make sure that the latch pins and bottom of the gate is made /shaped correct to be able to fold down past flat and not hit (have seen them snap the pin's off) and then you have to deal with the weight of the machine driving on the gate and bending it we are not talking about a motorcycle but a 9-10,000 pds skid steer then you have to lift the gate back up some how . I think thats why a swing gate works better

JNB

Occupation
Flyin' low and rollin' slow...
That'll sure slow down your day. Any problems with the red dirt splashing up and staining things, like stucco or grout?

Fastdirt

on dropping the tailgate down. I have done that before (years ago)to haul brush the trouble with that is two fold you have to make sure that the latch pins and bottom of the gate is made /shaped correct to be able to fold down past flat and not hit (have seen them snap the pin's off) and then you have to deal with the weight of the machine driving on the gate and bending it we are not talking about a motorcycle but a 9-10,000 pds skid steer then you have to lift the gate back up some how . I think thats why a swing gate works better

You give my welder the bucks and he'll make it happen. Of course you'd have to create a hinge by moving the pin to the back and designing a lock. If you're putting the skid in the bed then you would obviously have a machine on the trailer to lift the gate or even a tight chain from skid steer to gate. Reinforce the gate it's only 4' . It's possible. It'd be a 3 way gate then. I'd never do it but it's possible. My rig weighs 67,000 lbs and the Takeuchi adds 12,000 lbs so it probably wouldn't scale. That's why I bought a 35ton rgn to haul both on those days. Soon enough. Anyway it's just a challenging thought.

Fastdirt

That'll sure slow down your day. Any problems with the red dirt splashing up and staining things, like stucco or grout?

I see it all the time around here and it drives me nuts. Not sure if it's an issue on a fast paced build but I see existing houses a lot that have that issue. Nasty splash about 2' up the siding. The grout I think would stain but I'm sure they acid wash it.

Fastdirt

This one went smooth.....good with the bad. Had an audience all day and was hiding from the camera. Happens a lot doing this. People will watch you for 8 hrs. straight. Can't even take a wiz....

Jiu.jpg

20150804_0903181.jpg

20150804_153307.jpg

20150804_153552.jpg

20150804_153612.jpg

JNB

Occupation
I hear ya! Every once in awhile I'll have a customer ask if they need to be home the day I do their job. I tell them no and that I actually charge extra if they are and double if they want to help. I'm joking with them...kinda.

Landclearer

Some days it does not pay to get out of bed. I have never seen a dipsticks break like that. My brother had the end of the fuel nozzle at the truck stop break off in the tank. Of course it was alum so no magnet. Had to go fishing with a coat hangar.

You might have enjoyed running the 953 but I am sure your trimmers would not have had a good day with the loader man on your hoe:D

Fastdirt

These are the breaking even days.. Fired the truck up last week one morning and I had no running lights. The trailer boards pinched the wire harness back where the bucket sits. This was a problem I kept putting off. When I bought the trailer the area where the stick sits was a mess from neglect and I didn't fix it right the first time when I put new boards on. The lights going out was the third strike. The first two were broken air lines because the boards broke through. It's fixed for good now. Luckily my welder guy was able to come that day. The local welding shop sold me some pieces of I-beam and channel. Then the local lumber yard had some 2" saw cut oak.

20150824_090550.jpg

20150824_171947.jpg

20150824_191415.jpg

20150825_073704.jpg

Then we had to take care of the excavator. 30 gallons of hyd. fluid, a few cases of oil, all the filters from Cat and a box of grease. Plus a full wash. You can see the F150 is full because I'm still waiting on the F450 to get finished. It's taking forever.

20150827_144433.jpg

Fastdirt

Couple of job pics. I just haven't been taking pictures lately because I do the same thing over and over.

20150819_1255231.jpg

20150820_120057.jpg

IMG_20150819_222733.jpg

20150826_113407.jpg

20150826_131837.jpg

JNB

Occupation
I must of missed it. What are you having done on the F450, deletes etc?

Fastdirt

Just another day here.

20150828_141329.jpg

20150828_141950.jpg

Also did a pad for a 40'x 50' slab. We graded it, formed it, and dug the footings. We will not be doing the concrete however.

20150902_114447.jpg

20150902_134212.jpg

imagejpeg_0ytrewqcgf.jpg