• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The JLG 40F Boom Lift Dilemma

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
Hi Off its Robbie I am back and great news after $2600 in parts I have managed to get the old 40f back up and running, my question is I have no control for boom in and out and when I switch from the ground to the boom the engine dies! Can you give me any advice to try on this I am assuming it is a safety (wiring problem) but not sure where to find it!

Hi Robbie, I'm not too sure how a 27N is set up but the 40F had a separate ignition and power circuit for ground and basket that joined up at the main control box. I would start by switching to basket control and then checking the basket for power with a volt meter. Does the basket have an ignition switch? if so, start there. Make sure you have power to the switch and from the switch (when it's on). After that, follow along on the drawings in the manual. If you have no power up there at all, go back to the ground control panel and open it up, see if the wires were taken off the back of the ground/basket switch for some reason. Could be an adventure.

On the opposite side of the machine from the engine dipstick, there will be a valve bank with 2 or 3 valves on it. One of those valves is your telescope. Check for broken wires, and bad grounds.

suite1010

can you tell me something else I got everythin working except the in out function to extend the boom! I went up in the lift and the lift slid or fell back in does that mean it is probably a bad cylinder?

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
can you tell me something else I got everythin working except the in out function to extend the boom! I went up in the lift and the lift slid or fell back in does that mean it is probably a bad cylinder?

the telescope cylinder slid in when you boomed up? That could be a bad or totally disconnected cylinder. I've seen "F" series telescope cylinders split wide open end to end before.
More common would be a leaking "holding valve" but that's more of a "fade" than a "slide".

suite1010

Hi off sorry to bother you again but can you kind of head me in the right direction here! What is the best way to remove this cylinder? does the boom need to be up or all the way down or will it matter and will it be removed from the opposite end of the basket?

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
Hi off sorry to bother you again but can you kind of head me in the right direction here! What is the best way to remove this cylinder? does the boom need to be up or all the way down or will it matter and will it be removed from the opposite end of the basket?

Yes, the telescope cylinder comes out of the base end of the boom (opposite of the basket end). There will be a pin on the basket end of the boom, and another pin on the base end of the boom. Knockout both pins, undo the hoses and you should be good to go. As far as what position the boom need to be in when you pull out the telescope cylinder, that depends on how you are lifting it out. I wouldn't advise going over horizontal as you don't want the cylinder to come shooting out. It's heavy.
You might have to knock out the base section pin first so you can manually extend (pull) the boom out until the basket section pin becomes visible.

ssimps1972

Hi all, great forum. I just bought a JLG 40f. I believe it is the one the member "painter" posted pictures of in post #1032. with that said I did not get the lift from him and the gentleman I got the lift from had no manuals or info for it . so I started searching and the best info around is this forum. I am hoping to get the manuals for it from someone here that would be a great help . there is wiring issues that is a common thing I am learning. the lift has no engine. I am planning on installing a 22hp horizontal shaft v-twin .most of the wiring through the boom seems to be in good shape but there are issues in the basket. I believe all the vales on it are the Racine valves.

ssimps1972

her are a few pictures of the valves

Attachments

• IMAG1155.jpg
    IMAG1155.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 107
  • IMAG1156.jpg
    IMAG1156.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 100
  • IMAG1162.jpg
    IMAG1162.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 107

ssimps1972

I was told the telescope cylinder was rebuilt about a year ago. I was trying to use the auxiliary pump and a jumper wire to active the valves. the pump works and the valves click when energized but could not get any movement at all . is the auxiliary not enough to operate this way. im sure this lift has been sitting a while and was low on hydro oil . I put oil in but is there a possibility of air in the lines? any help would be greatly appreciated !!!!

ssimps1972

I was told the telescope cylinder was rebuilt about a year ago. I was trying to use the auxiliary pump and a jumper wire to active the valves. the pump works and the valves click when energized but could not get any movement at all . is the auxiliary not enough to operate this way. im sure this lift has been sitting a while and was low on hydro oil . I put oil in but is there a possibility of air in the lines? any help would be greatly appreciated !!!! by the way I have no ground controls at all nothing wired in and what is in the basket I was told was not working .

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
Welcome to the Forum ssimps1972! Good news, those are Racine valves and they are what is called "solenoid valves" or "bang-bang valves". Very trouble free and easy to work with.
Normally that aux. hydraulic pump will not have enough power to raise or extend an function. It will only lower or retract. They might have be able to raise the boom a bit when they were new, but very, very slowly if at all. If you send me an email address by private message, I'll be glad to send you a PDF copy of the 40F manual set.

tdc748

jlg 40f

Welcome to the Forum ssimps1972! Good news, those are Racine valves and they are what is called "solenoid valves" or "bang-bang valves". Very trouble free and easy to work with.
Normally that aux. hydraulic pump will not have enough power to raise or extend an function. It will only lower or retract. They might have be able to raise the boom a bit when they were new, but very, very slowly if at all. If you send me an email address by private message, I'll be glad to send you a PDF copy of the 40F manual set.

Hi OFF, I am looking to pull the trigger on a jlg 40f but it has issues, the description reads intermittent problem with boom in and out, steer and basket level, they said wiring is good, maybe low on fluid or valve sticking. Is this a nightmare or easy fix?

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
Hi OFF, I am looking to pull the trigger on a jlg 40f but it has issues, the description reads intermittent problem with boom in and out, steer and basket level, they said wiring is good, maybe low on fluid or valve sticking. Is this a nightmare or easy fix?

Welcome tdc748. on a 40F, the boom telescope, steer and basket level are all on the same valve bank. It's a Racine solenoid bank which one of the easiest ones to repair should it need to be repaired. However, my first check would be the grounds on that valve bank, my second check would be the solenoid that operates the dump valve for that valve bank. (or the ground on the dump valve). Pretty easy stuff, I can't see it being nightmarish at all. I'd put money on the dump valve solenoid being the problem. It's located on the bottom of the cross member under the back of the engine.

suite1010

jgl 27F

hi off i need to pick your brain again! on the telescoping i ordered a new solenoid valve and when jgl sent it the old one only had one plug in wire, the new one they sent has two permanent wires is that going to be the same? i just need to ground the second wire right?
also what is a list of problems that it could be? i know these
1) solenoid valve bad (should there be any voltage going to it?)
2) bad ground
3) bad cylinder
could there be anything else?
I am having a had time trying to find the problem.
thank you again!

old onedownload.png

new one is similar to thiss-l500.jpg
asco-992575d-992575d-solenoid-valve-coil-12060-11050-used.jpg

Last edited:

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
Yes, one wire to power, the other wire to a good ground. Doesn't matter which one you ground. Those are called FPS solenoid valves. That is an old baby.

calimomof5

JLG Manuals

That's the part that gets me, I'm amazed there's still so many of the dang things still out there! There's a reason JLG doesn't have the manuals on their website, they expected them to be scrap iron by now, but apparently they still live in great numbers.

My husband purchased a JLG 80F recently. This thing is a monster. Whoever had it last, painted it to make it look nice and painted over all the markings that identified it. Once we finally figured it out, he contacted JLG and they were nice enough to upload all three manuals to the website. Sounds like they will upload any manual if they have it.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
My husband purchased a JLG 80F recently. This thing is a monster. Whoever had it last, painted it to make it look nice and painted over all the markings that identified it. Once we finally figured it out, he contacted JLG and they were nice enough to upload all three manuals to the website. Sounds like they will upload any manual if they have it.

Welcome calimomof5, and thank you for the heads-ups on the 80F manuals now being available on the JLG website. They didn't used to be there, that's for sure. I'll be downloading a copy of each.