• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The JLG 40F Boom Lift Dilemma

RSIGuy

Occupation
Restoration Contractor
RSI Guy, I am currently working on an early JLG 40F and it does not have a case drain line from either travel motor. The rotary manifold has the port in the post but it is not threaded for a fitting. Should be easy enough to thread the post and add the line, just take a 1/4" line from both motors, install a T and follow the travel motor lines up to the rotary manifold and tap into the bottom of the post. From the top of the rotary the line T's into one of the existing drain lines on the side of the hyd. tank towards the bottom. One travel motor on this machine also keeps blowing the seals out when they try to use hi drive. This should solve the problem.

Excavator, thanks for the guidance. It sure seems strange, it's been like that for 36 years before it started leaking and why they didn't put one in originally if the schematics all show them???? It's not the first time I found something that isn't like the manuals though.

excavator

A question for the more knowledgables on this subject. This machines spec plate lists it as a 40, not as a 40F. Did JLG build a 40? Like RSIGuy said, there are a few things on this machine that are different than the 40F manual shows. Just curious.

RSIGuy

Occupation
Restoration Contractor
OFF would know. I know there are several other 40 ABC models but not heard of just a 40.

RSIGuy

Occupation
Restoration Contractor
Does anyone out there have a parts diagram for the Swing Drive Motor? I have fluid coming up through the shaft under the brake assembly. I have it on a job site and would like to order the parts so I can fix it in place and get it back in service right away.:confused:

RSIGuy

Occupation
Restoration Contractor
Does anyone out there have a parts diagram for the Swing Drive Motor? I have fluid coming up through the shaft under the brake assembly. I have it on a job site and would like to order the parts so I can fix it in place and get it back in service right away.:confused:

Nevermind. I took it out and it appears virtually identical to the drive motors. Upon disassembly I found the high pressure seal to be torn. Now to just get a seal quick and put it back together correctly.

kenmiller

My JLG 40F periodically does the opposite that it should. When you want to go down it goes up. Sometimes it will only go up. Forward will make it go back. Boom swing left will go right. Sometimes they all work correctly.
Any thoughts?

RSIGuy

Occupation
Restoration Contractor
My JLG 40F periodically does the opposite that it should. When you want to go down it goes up. Sometimes it will only go up. Forward will make it go back. Boom swing left will go right. Sometimes they all work correctly.
Any thoughts?

Have you looked at the switches in the control box, they may be corroded or as most of them are had bad electrical work over the years? If it was all the time they would just be reversed either on the switch or the solenoids but doesn't sound like that.

pyro-1955

RSIGuy, glad to hear you found the source of the problem. I would have liked to help, but I'm totally new to these myself. I am sure I will learn much more as I use mine more. Hope you can get back up and running soon!

kenmiller

Have you looked at the switches in the control box, they may be corroded or as most of them are had bad electrical work over the years? If it was all the time they would just be reversed either on the switch or the solenoids but doesn't sound like that.

The switches seam to be fine and yes it's just periodically not all the time and different commands at different time. I'm thinking it might be something closer or including the solenoids, but even that doesn't make sense to me.

RSIGuy

Occupation
Restoration Contractor
RSIGuy, glad to hear you found the source of the problem. I would have liked to help, but I'm totally new to these myself. I am sure I will learn much more as I use mine more. Hope you can get back up and running soon!

We put it back together before lunch, waiting to hear if all is good when he gets it in and puts pressure to it.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
The switches seam to be fine and yes it's just periodically not all the time and different commands at different time. I'm thinking it might be something closer or including the solenoids, but even that doesn't make sense to me.

does it ever happen from the ground controls or only happens from the basket?

RSIGuy

Occupation
Restoration Contractor
We put it back together before lunch, waiting to hear if all is good when he gets it in and puts pressure to it.

We are all dry! A successful repair on a swing motor without a drawing.

dnjrr

Could you possibly give me a contact number. We have a 40F and our schematics are incomplete and the parts book is incomplete.

Thanks, Jerry

hjm1216

Occupation
Tree trimmer
Got a question for you 40F owners. I've a chance to get a one. It doesn't run and the owner said it has wiring control issues. He says it weighs 20,000 lbs. I'm more inclined to believe it weighs in the 12K range just like other driveable 40 footers. What would you guys pay for a lift like this. What did you pay for yours. Oh yeah, OFF, as soon as I determine which set of solenoids it's got I may need a copy of the schematics. If you would please.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
Got a question for you 40F owners. I've a chance to get a one. It doesn't run and the owner said it has wiring control issues. He says it weighs 20,000 lbs. I'm more inclined to believe it weighs in the 12K range just like other driveable 40 footers. What would you guys pay for a lift like this. What did you pay for yours. Oh yeah, OFF, as soon as I determine which set of solenoids it's got I may need a copy of the schematics. If you would please.

Welcome hjm1216
manual says approx. 10,000 lbs total machine weight.

what's it worth? I'd say anywhere from $1000/$1500 for something that doesn't run up to about $5000 for a machine in good condition.
The biggest problem with them is that they are 2 wheel drive on a solid chassis. They are not off-road machines.

Get your 3 posts in so the private message function kicks in, then PM me an email adress and I'll send you everything we have. :)

hjm1216

Occupation
Tree trimmer
Welcome hjm1216
manual says approx. 10,000 lbs total machine weight.

what's it worth? I'd say anywhere from $1000/$1500 for something that doesn't run up to about $5000 for a machine in good condition.
The biggest problem with them is that they are 2 wheel drive on a solid chassis. They are not off-road machines.

Get your 3 posts in so the private message function kicks in, then PM me an email adress and I'll send you everything we have. :)

Thanks for the welcome. And wow, only 10,000 lbs. The owner was talking about yanking the motor and selling the rest for scrap. He'll get less than what he thought and still have the labor of pulling the motor. Though his has it price about right I'm glad you pointed out the rigid frame. I didn't think about that when I looked at it. He said he replace a bunch of hoses and it didn't look terrible but there were more that would need to be replaced. Just a fair to decent machine. I'll go take another look at it later this week. I may just have to spend more repairing my Workforce (Bil-Jax) 4232. Major telescoping cylinder leak.
Thanks,
hjm1216

hjm1216

Occupation
Tree trimmer
Winconsin 40 engine

JLG 40F I've never worked on a Wisconsin 4cyl. Anything particular I need to be aware of? I'm a fairly accomplished automotive and small engine gas mechanic. I plan on taking the normal steps. And if you advise me to be aware of the yellow jackets and red wasp I've already taken care of those bad boys. Hopefully I got them all.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
JLG 40F I've never worked on a Wisconsin 4cyl. Anything particular I need to be aware of? I'm a fairly accomplished automotive and small engine gas mechanic. I plan on taking the normal steps. And if you advise me to be aware of the yellow jackets and red wasp I've already taken care of those bad boys. Hopefully I got them all.

It's just a big Briggs & Stratton.
PM me if you're interested in those JLG 40F manuals. Got a Wisconsin engine manual on PDF file too.

RSIGuy

Occupation
Restoration Contractor

I concur with OFF. I paid $3,400 for mine about 5 years ago and it worked nearly perfect. Since then I have rewired it head to toe and parts ran about $1,800, that included all sorts of switches, new boxes, getting the onboard generator redone etc. I'm getting good at seals in those drive motors too but I can't find a tool (the little sleeve to install them without gauging them up) for installing them. OFF, do you know where to get one or will I have to make one?