• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Takeuchi TB035!! new to me have some questions

Fourtencustoms

Of course it needs to be replaced, its all 1998 in there!!!!!!!!!!!!!....... I wish I had the money to replace every part but I don't
The pitting you can feel with your fingernail starts a little down past the shiny section. It looks worse then it feels. I imagine this thing could be machined down a bit and a smaller seal and O ring could be used?
Probably easier just to buy two new pistons.....
FYI I have been told finding those seals and O rings is next to impossible? Need to try a Tak parts dealer.

This sucker will have to hold up for a while, I have other projects that need the $$$$ right now. The track is still holding tension after sitting all day, before it would hold for about 30 seconds.
Today I am draining the track final drives again, going to flush and fill them one more time....when I got the machine they were DRY and full of black goo when I did fill them...........
I did also order a replacement cooling fan, the 7 blade version for a 3 cyl yanmar.... that should help with cooling, my fan looks like it went to war and came home wounded

Fourtencustoms

Tak was running awesome! Dug out a huge Birch stump that was in the way of progress when I hear hissing and spot droplets of hydraulic fluid coming up through the right hand joystick console..
Tip the cab to reveal a split hose.
Some of the hoses in this thing are obviously still 98, and somebody has been through this undercarriage enough times to where hose routing is questionable. I would LOVE to take this thing all apart, clean it all out, replace all the worn hoses and O rings....remove about 50 tons of mud/grease/ crud....but that will have to wait. For now we just replace each suspect hose one at a time to get us through the summer......
Took a bit of doing but we got the split hose out and Im off to town to try and get a new one, otherwise have to wait till Monday to have one made
171_091103_320000000.jpg

171_091103_320000001.jpg

Now I also spotted slight leaks coming through the joystick controls. Spent yesterday evening researching how to rebuild Takeuchi pilot valves....looks to be a Kawasaki PV48 style valve. I plan to order new O rings and seals for both sides, about $40...

Last edited:

Fourtencustoms

hose was replaced next day, leaked fluid was cleaned up, hydraulic fluid topped off and Takeuchi was back to work!
The track tension is still holding 100%
I also drained and filled both final drives again, I flush them a few times a season.
My neighbor watches us move dirt around the property, he keeps telling me I should have bought a backhoe.
I keep telling him he will never convince me of that because I love this track hoe!
I can ALWAYS still get a backhoe to add to the fleet but the Japanese Tak has stolen the show

Fourtencustoms

All right some more maintenance on the Tak
Yesterday I replaced the O ring and seal on the left side track adjuster. This time I used the factory seals instead of re using the one I had plus harbor freight O rings
Right now tracks are both tensioned and holding!

I also installed new Yanmar plastic cooling fan, the one that came with the machine had seen better days.
Also cleaned the oil cooler and radiator, blew out all of the fins, etc
That was a huge PITA job with a steep learning curve, I was happy to find the pass side access panel behind the fuel tank, this allows access to radiator bolts on the front side..
The Tak was getting quick to reach 230 degrees water temp if I was doing anything buy just digging. I found the oil cooler screen was partially plugged with some cottonwood and the cooling fan was missing half of its blades. I expect much better cooling now........

Next installed 2 new Ebay shifter boots. The ones I picked online worked out perfectly!! The factory boots were ripped to sh*# and were allowing water in and hydraulic fluid out.......

Hydraulic and engine oil leaks slowed to a minimum now.......very happy with that. We go months without needed to add hyd fluid, the engine oil leak is minor and no longer needs topping off
Two of the return lines in the hydro system were the source of the main leaks, I replaced those and double clamped
The engine oil dipstick was the source of the main engine oil leak, I mvgyvered a homebrew seal and it has slowed to a trickle
Cold starting can still be a PITA... I have a new grid heater, relay and switch here that will get installed this fall

Otherwise the Tak is AWESOME
Worlds greatest shovel
I will get some pics of our projects, we have built a dirt ledge, we have excavated the pond/swimming hole and now excavated 3 ditches for building footers, adding a 2 story addition to our house........

Fourtencustoms

Some pics

Dipstick was leaking, used small piece of rubber hose to make a lip seal
171_031033_410000000.jpg

Really really stopped the main crankcase oil leak
171_031033_420000001.jpg

new Yanmar cooling fan
171_031033_430000004.jpg

Ebay joystick boots worked out perfectly!
171_031033_420000002.jpg

Filled old growth cedar stump with dirt and planted apple tree inside, this way the deer and moose cannot reach the young fruit tree
171_031033_420000003.jpg

grachman

$15000 usd for this machine seems too much? For $15k, you should have gotten a machine in good order around 2500 hrs. Is this grey market?

lantraxco

$15000 usd for this machine seems too much? For $15k, you should have gotten a machine in good order around 2500 hrs. Is this grey market?
I don't know from this machine, but you don't get much at all for $15K these days in anything.

Fourtencustoms

your kidding right? Its not like I just woke up one morning and went to buy an excavator....I shopped for almost a year before I landed this machine.
I paid $14000 for it, and it was indeed in working condition...I mean it started and we drove it on and off the trailer.
No it is not black market this is a USA machine built by Takeuchi which is Japanese
I have found two others in my price range since I bought this one, both also needing work, neither of them built by Japan.
The Tak is one of my favorite machines, it gets more use then my John deer tractor or my bulldozer...simply because many of my projects involve digging...... 3 cyl Yanmar turbo diesel! PLus the engine had recently been "rebuilt" on this sucker...and it runs fantastic! I am a mechanic so everything I buy I buy cheap and needing work, I could sell my Tak for about $16-18000 now and upgrade

I challenge you to find me a 20-30 hp mini excavator for under $15000 CASH, no extra dealer fees, no setup costs, private market...... in the Pacific Northwest..... go ahead, I will wait.

Even black market would be fine with me, I'm not scared I can find parts for those too
$1500 you might be able to buy a bucket......but no machine attached.

grachman

your kidding right? Its not like I just woke up one morning and went to buy an excavator....I shopped for almost a year before I landed this machine.
I paid $14000 for it, and it was indeed in working condition...I mean it started and we drove it on and off the trailer.
No it is not black market this is a USA machine built by Takeuchi which is Japanese
I have found two others in my price range since I bought this one, both also needing work, neither of them built by Japan.
The Tak is one of my favorite machines, it gets more use then my John deer tractor or my bulldozer...simply because many of my projects involve digging...... 3 cyl Yanmar turbo diesel! PLus the engine had recently been "rebuilt" on this sucker...and it runs fantastic! I am a mechanic so everything I buy I buy cheap and needing work, I could sell my Tak for about $16-18000 now and upgrade

I challenge you to find me a 20-30 hp mini excavator for under $15000 CASH, no extra dealer fees, no setup costs, private market...... in the Pacific Northwest..... go ahead, I will wait.

Even black market would be fine with me, I'm not scared I can find parts for those too
$1500 you might be able to buy a bucket......but no machine attached.
Maybe your market is starved for supply. You said it needed work and the odometer didn't work. What a new bucket is worth is a red herring. And now that you fixed it you estimate 16-18k?

lantraxco

Maybe your market is starved for supply. You said it needed work and the odometer didn't work. What a new bucket is worth is a red herring. And now that you fixed it you estimate 16-18k?
Not sure why you're pursuing this, if there's lots of good cheap mini exes out there, post up some ads. I buy grey market from Japan now and then, or used to. The exchange rate is still decent.

grachman

You routinely buy excavators directly from Japan?
Are you in the business of selling excavators?
You can't go by the ads because people ask double what they end up getting.

lantraxco

You routinely buy excavators directly from Japan?
Are you in the business of selling excavators?
You can't go by the ads because people ask double what they end up getting.

I have to ask why you're being so negative and confrontational? As I said, "now and then, or used to" I did and I was, but not lately. I'm just curious what axe you're grinding, that's all.

Fourtencustoms

Its cool I don't mind this conversation at all, this is a discussionb forum and this thread has been dead since I have just been using the Tak this summer, no real major repairs except for the one hydraulic hose that blew and some new seals and boots on the joystick controllers.
If I could find this machine for $1500 I would be rich, because I could bring them home, put about $2K into them and re sale for big profit!!
If you guys are like me you are always looking at heavy equipment for sale in the area, just in case this happens....and it does. Sometimes you can get a steal of a deal!!
We are looking at a 10,000$ road grader right now, 4x4, from the 70's with a 12' snow blade in full working condition with chains :)

I said my Tak might be worth $16-18K to somebody else, it could easily be worth more IF it had working factory gauges...you see I bastardized this machine, because I do not plan to sell it. Instead of trying to get my hands on a takeuchi instrument cluster and making it work (I found one for $400 used, but passed) I just added some aftermarket gauges to show me I have oil pressure and watch the coolant temp. I als put the grid heater and cooling fan on my own switches...next I will be adding LED lights so I can work in the dark a little. Also I plan to build a couple of buckets, one small one for trenching water lines and a large one for cleanup/clearing snow...... If I was to "restore" this machine I am sure I could get $20K for her.....but that is not my goal, she is very useful.
To get a 30 HP mini excavator up here in North Idaho from Seattle to Bozeman as far south as Boise, this was the best deal I could find in months and months of looking. I am super glad I did get this machine, I will always pick Japanese over Chinese equipment.....I am super impressed with the Takeuchi brand! I am not sure how many hours are on this rig, the hour meter stopped working long before I acquired her.....but who cares? She runs, she digs and she is awesome for a track hoe, 3 cylinder with a turbo!! I have fixed most of the issues she has, left with a couple of small leaks, but as long as I keep on top of the fluids, filters and track tension....she is ready to rock and roll.