• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Swing motor oil

H621

Hey there, I'm working on a yanmar vio 20 and got a new swing motor. My question is do I need to fill it with oil, or is it lubricated by the oil flowing through it? There is no dipstick and only a couple small plugs on the side.20210907_195939.jpg 20210907_195931.jpg 20210907_195939.jpg 20210907_195931.jpg

Attachments

• 20210907_195920.jpg
    20210907_195920.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 20210907_200007.jpg
    20210907_200007.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 6

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
A motor will be filled with the hydraulic oil that is used to make it turn. Just install it, run the machine slow and ease on the stick with the engine at low idle until the house starts to move and then do the same the other way. Work the air out each way for a bit and then just turn the house a couple of times around and you are good to go. If it was a pump, that would be a different story. Why did you need to get a new motor? You might have plenty of other things to worry about.

H621

So the pump shop I purchased the motor from just got back to me, they said the swing motor will fill when I run the machine but the gearbox needs AW32 filled from the plug at the very bottom cover??
John C. - the customer brought me a swing motor assembly completely dissasembled and wasn't even certain all parts were accounted for and it had been sitting for years.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I think that shop needs to clarify a little more about the gear box. Usually on a mini excavator the motor drives the house swing without the use of a swing gear reduction box but I am not familiar with this brand of machine. Larger machines have that swing gear reduction box to turn the house and that is what they are speaking of. Those boxes usually run engine oil or heavy gear oil and not a hydraulic oil like an AW rated oil to lube the gears and bearings. You might call them and ask the question or ask your customer with the machine and ask if there is that gear box under where the motor mounts.

H621

I have yet to see the machine myself so once I get this put together I'll post an update just for the knowledge for you guys. Thanks for the input!