• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Suggestions on rough starting? 345BL

Jeremy Whittaker

Here is my start from yesterday. I wasn't cranking the engine sputtered like this on its own then finally kicked over. It was about 36 degrees out. Much colder than when I typically start it. https://photos.app.goo.gl/JbvH9LrE12ahGMMv8

I replaced that air valve that was recommended in prior posts.
I drained the fuel tank, much less sentiment, no water.
I opened the fuel/water separator. Didn't appear to be any water in the mix.

I didn't prime it as I wanted to see how my last changes would impact it without prom priming. Next time I go up I'll prime and see the difference.

Oxbow

Here's a tip for starting older engines when it is cold, once you know you are getting fuel indicated by black smoke.

Crank for maybe 15 seconds, then let whatever heat was generated soak in for a minute or more. Then repeat. Even if it is not firing at all you're generating a bit oh heat. Be patient, let it sit plenty of time between cranking.

I have a 345D with C13. We start it below zero without aid ( not by choice, just no current bushes on our jobs). If you have an electric primer pump it can help to cycle that between crankings.

We also use full synthetic 5w 40 to help with cranking and reduce engine damage during cold starts.

BC Placer gold

That is an electronic c-13?

Our 1999 c-12 (truck application) is one of the best starting diesels we own; and we are much colder than you…it will easily start at -10c with minimal smoke and settle immediately to a nice smooth idle. I never start it normally though without block heater/oil heater (not because it won’t start but to save engine wear and tear)

I am not a good enough mechanic to comment further…but something sure doesn’t seem right.
Good luck and thanks for the updates.

Shimmy1

Looks and sounds to me like a tired old electronic Clatterpilla that needs a good freshening. The 3196 in my 95E isn't quite that bad, but it wants no part of running when I start it below 20F. It will stumble and smoke and knock and basically make you think it's never going to take off for a good 5-7 seconds, then just like that the white smoke comes and it smooths right out. Just like your video.

BC Placer gold

Looks and sounds to me like a tired old electronic Clatterpilla that needs a good freshening. The 3196 in my 95E isn't quite that bad, but it wants no part of running when I start it below 20F. It will stumble and smoke and knock and basically make you think it's never going to take off for a good 5-7 seconds, then just like that the white smoke comes and it smooths right out. Just like your video.
Good info!

Jeremy Whittaker

I wonder how long it is since that engine last had a valve and injector set.?
It probably wouldn't hurt to do both.

I like the suggestion from @Oxbow to use 5W-40 engine oil to help starts in cold ambient temperatures.
What grade of oil is in the engine right now.?
Mobil Delvac 1300 Super Heavy Duty Synthetic Blend Diesel Engine Oil 15W-40

Shimmy1

My limited research says that we are discussing a 3176 engine. I spent 6000 hours in a Challenger 75C tractor with the same engine. Cold starting was not terrible, but it only had a 12V system with 2 batteries. Below 15F, forget it without a sniff. From 15 to 30, it would start similar to Jeremy's here. Better, but not much. Even with new injectors it still burped and knocked and farted around for several seconds before getting its crap together. My 3196 engines start similar, even at 35F.

I have been around a lot of this family of engines, many Challengers and more than a few C12s in trucks. The C12s do not seem to have near the problems getting smoothed out like the tractors, but they still do. I've always wondered what Cat does with the timing and fuel on a cold start to make them so choppy. 3406E, C13, C15 don't seem to light the same.

Jeremy Whittaker

So this is the start from yesterday - https://photos.app.goo.gl/M7zu3A1x8vutd15NA

To summarize I started flushing the bottom of the fuel tank. I've done it 3 times since this start. I probably remove about 4oz of pure black crud the first time. Now it seems to be pretty minimal.

I've been draining the fuel/water separator (seems like there is never any water in there). No crud in there since I cleaned it out a couple of weekends ago.

Changed the fuel filter. 12/9

Changed the fuel/water separator filter. 12/9

Primed this start.12/16

I'm ok with this rough start since it's an old machine (1998) of this is normal and isn't going to cause any damage. I was just more so trying to figure out if there was anything proactive I could do to stop it. But it sounds like from recommendations I have a couple options left.

1. Change the oil to a lighter oil. I've only done one oil change since I got it. I'll do another one after it sits over the winter. It currently has Mobil Delvac 1300 Super Heavy Duty Synthetic Blend Diesel Engine Oil 15W-40. Should I stick with this same oil just a different weight?

2. Buy some type of heater block to warm it up first.

If what I'm doing isn't causing any damage and is just a minor annoyance I'm ok just living with this.

Gary Layton

Good deal on the fuel tank flush.

I'm not an expert but that 35 seconds of cranking the starter seems like it would be injurious eventually to the starter.

My 320 typically cranks up within three seconds... It always has ever since I got it. Maybe I'm just lucky.

I'll be curious to see what the pros say.