• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Stuck pin battle, I won.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
If the Arcair/Cat torch is any guide the set oxygen pressure on the regulator depends on the diameter of rod you are using. Anything from 35-45psi for a 3/16" rod, 45-60 for 1/4", and 60-80psi for a 3/8" rod. Oxygen flow is controlled by the trigger on the rod holder.

Mine was used and didn’t come with any paperwork so I ran my oxygen at 50 psi with a 3/8” rod and had no problem burning through it but I bet 60-80 psi would have sped things up a bit.

Delmer

I'm still working on making me a home made version ...just have to figure out what pipe I can use and design a connector for the lance end.

Randy just hooked up the fittings, 1/2" black iron pipe available at any big box home improvement place. The specially designed rods try to add as much steel into the rod, pipe is just as cheap, trust me.

hosspuller

Randy just hooked up the fittings, 1/2" black iron pipe available at any big box home improvement place. The specially designed rods try to add as much steel into the rod, pipe is just as cheap, trust me.
All the photos of lances show some sort of metal inside the rod to act as fuel. A few lengths of iron wire or rod should work just as well.

mitch504

Those are thin tubes, the extra wall thickness of the pipe should make up for that. The manufacturers couldn't just use black iron pipe, or you wouldn't buy it from them.

How hard are these things to start and keep running, particularly the homemade ones? I have worked with guys who could start cutting with the torch, and reach down and cut off the acetylene, and just keep cutting, but I am nowhere near that steady.

Delmer

I've never used a lance, but keeping it going would be the least of my worries. When using an oxygen cutting torch, the speed is way faster than the flame can preheat. Plus the pipe itself is burning away, kind of like a sparkler.

Heavy Chevy

All the photos of lances show some sort of metal inside the rod to act as fuel. A few lengths of iron wire or rod should work just as well.
I finally got it! I tried out my homemade lance today and burned thru it like a hot knife thru butter! Appreciate the advice.

Attachments

• Thermal Lance (Home made).jpg
    Thermal Lance (Home made).jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 88

Heavy Chevy

Share your experience @Heavy Chevy

Did you use @Randy88 method? How did you light it? I'm still wanting to put one together to keep on the torch cart, I just haven't gotten that far through my to-do list yet :(

Colson04,
Yes I read all the post and gathered all the facts I could....especially from Randy88 & Hosspuller and made my own...it was easy once you find all the parts to make it. See attached pic. 1) I went to Northern Tools and bought an air gun tool 2) I went to ARC3 welding and got them to make me the connections hose to fit my O2 and the other end with the correct fittings to screw into the air gun 3) The hardest thing was finding 1/8" black iron pipe....I had to order it because no one carries it that small locally....I did manage to find a 1/8" to 3/8" reducer from ACE hardware....after getting all those pieces, I took a 5/16" drill bit and drilled down into the 3/8" end about 1/4" so as to fit snug onto the air gun extension...then I mig welded the reducer onto the air tool nozzle after unscrewing the brass tip......then I could screw the 1/8" black iron pipe to the nozzle and go to work. I set my O2 on 75 psi. I thien welded a piece of rebar onto the pin I was gonna burn, also took a piece of angle iron and cut out a section for the molten steel to drain as it came out so as not to stick to my rod......I also took a wire hanger and inserted it into the pipe for added fuel....4) I hooked my welder stick feed to the rod i welded onto the pin 5) I hooked the ground to my fuel rod and used the angle iron that I welded to the pin and my striker plate which fed directly into the spot I wanted to start the burn. You can see on the fuel rod where my ground arched a little...once started, I just unhooked the ground and let it fall to the ground while I burned the hole. I'm gonna order me some more of that 1/8" black iron pipe just to keep on hand for any future projects needing that level of cutting. Thermal Lance (Home made Device).jpg Thermal Lance (Home made).jpg

mitch504

I have been saying this for years, but I have got to make one of these!

Most of the air guns I've seen with removable tips have 1/8 pipe female threads, I have 6-8 laying around. I was just looking at a stuck pin today and thinking of cutting it on both sides of the cylinder eye with a Sawzall. I really ought to go ahead and do this.

Heavy Chevy

Y
I have been saying this for years, but I have got to make one of these!

Most of the air guns I've seen with removable tips have 1/8 pipe female threads, I have 6-8 laying around. I was just looking at a stuck pin today and thinking of cutting it on both sides of the cylinder eye with a Sawzall. I really ought to go ahead and do this.
You can do it.....screw the brass 1/8" threaded nipple off the air gun and then take whatever size drill bit and drill down 1/4" into the black iron pipe fitting so that it slides onto your air gun nozzle....then either weld in on or JB weld it....

mitch504

Y

You can do it.....screw the brass 1/8" threaded nipple off the air gun and then take whatever size drill bit and drill down 1/4" into the black iron pipe fitting so that it slides onto your air gun nozzle....then either weld in on or JB weld it....

Why would I do that when I already have 1/8 pipe threads?

Heavy Chevy

Why would I do that when I already have 1/8 pipe threads?
Mitch,
If your black iron pipe screws into your air gun nozzle then you are good....my 1/8" female threaded end on the air extension was much smaller than the actual 1/8" black iron pipe male threads....see attached pic. That is why I had to modify the nipple to fit my device.

Attachments

• Thermal Lance (Air Gun Homemade Nipple).jpg
    Thermal Lance (Air Gun Homemade Nipple).jpg
    778.5 KB · Views: 35

hosspuller

HeavyChevy … A few questions on your lance..

How big of a hole did 1/8 pipe make in a 2 inch pin ? Looks about one inch from pic.
What was the length of the pin?
What was the starting length of the pipe and how much was left ?
Did you have to torch anymore after piercing the pin ?
How much effort did it take to drive the pin out ?

PS.. your guide with the slag drain hole was genius. I'll remember that. :)

Heavy Chevy

HeavyChevy … A few questions on your lance..

How big of a hole did 1/8 pipe make in a 2 inch pin ? Looks about one inch from pic.
What was the length of the pin?
What was the starting length of the pipe and how much was left ?
Did you have to torch anymore after piercing the pin ?
How much effort did it take to drive the pin out ?

PS.. your guide with the slag drain hole was genius. I'll remember that. :)

Hosspuller, the hole size was approx 3/4"...maybe little smaller....I would measure but I'm not at the shop (1hr away), pin length was 13", I had a 5' section of pipe, no torching after.....I already had my press set up attached to the device....so pressing it out then was not much effort at all finally. NOTE: I immediately drenched the hole (Pin) with water to rapidly cool it...amazingly it did shrink enough to remove it as others have stated.

lol.....You like that all in one guide/slag drain/and don't forget striker plate.....worked like a champ!

Heavy Chevy

Hosspuller, the hole size was approx 3/4"...maybe little smaller....I would measure but I'm not at the shop (1hr away), pin length was 13", I had a 5' section of pipe, no torching after.....I already had my press set up attached to the device....so pressing it out then was not much effort at all finally. NOTE: I immediately drenched the hole (Pin) with water to rapidly cool it...amazingly it did shrink enough to remove it as others have stated.

lol.....You like that all in one guide/slag drain/and don't forget striker plate.....worked like a champ!
I started with 5' length and probably burned 3' off.

aighead

Welp, I don't really have a need for a lance but it kinda feels like I'll be making one sometime... Thanks for the instructions, y'all!

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I have a couple of Broco lance kits both given to me years ago. They are slick but expensive to use if purchasing their consumables. I too use black pipe when the process is needed and you better suit up well to not get burnt badly.

I've not raced motorcycles since 1975 but still wear my leathers when burning pins out.