• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Stuck pin battle, I won.

Heavy Chevy

Just lanced a 1.375×13 pin out the other day with my store bought $1300 thermic lance. Awesome, it was.
One of the cylinder pins on here.View attachment 219416
I'm still working on making me a home made version ...just have to figure out what pipe I can use and design a connector for the lance end.

Attachments

• Thermic Lance.jpg
    Thermic Lance.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 52

heymccall

I'd look into using steel brake line, which is about the same as what came with my lance. The rods on mine are essentially double walled, though. And it took 5 2.5' rods to remove it all.
And my lance says 80psi on the oxy regulator.

Tinkerer

From what I saw on YouTube most of the rods had multiple wires in the core. That is the ones I could see.
In one video the cutting torch was applied to the lance, not the work piece to start it burning. It looked fast and more effective compared to heating the work piece to start the burn.
lance.png

heymccall

Took 4 44" rods (rods can only use 36" or so). I dunno, maybe a 1/4 of my 255cf bottle.
Blow through as deep as you can, switch sides, and repeat. Let cool. Tap remains out.

JD955SC

We use a battery charger and a piece of plate to strike the arc. It’s hard to get going and stay going but once she’s fully lit you are good

could use a torch but it’d be a delicate dance to quickly shut it off and set it down while the big crowd pleaser sparkler is making it rain sparks

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
It looks very much as though the Arcair product is the same one that Cat sell as their 8T-7792 "Mini Torch".
Special Instruction for use SEHS8923. Priced at around $600 from my dealer.
I'm not sure how the two products stack up as regards what's in the box though. The Cat torch does not come with rods, that I do know.

Welder Dave

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
Bought a used oxylance a month or two ago and finally got to use it today. Hooked it up to my welder and promptly turned a case bucket pin into a pile of molten lava in no time flat. The hardest part was waiting for it to cool enough to knock it out. I had some water but not enough to completely cool it. Definitely a great tool.

Nige

Bought a used oxylance a month or two ago and finally got to use it today. Hooked it up to my welder and promptly turned a case bucket pin into a pile of molten lava in no time flat. The hardest part was waiting for it to cool enough to knock it out. I had some water but not enough to completely cool it. Definitely a great tool.
And now you are asking yourself "Why the heck didn't I buy one of these things years ago..?"

If you ever have to remove a seized dozer equalizer bar centre pin a mini thermic lance is pretty much the only thing that will get it out. Standard size ones are too big to get in there.

Nige

what would the oxy. pressure be set at or is it variable ?
If the Arcair/Cat torch is any guide the set oxygen pressure on the regulator depends on the diameter of rod you are using. Anything from 35-45psi for a 3/16" rod, 45-60 for 1/4", and 60-80psi for a 3/8" rod. Oxygen flow is controlled by the trigger on the rod holder.