• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Stuck Injectors

ibc

Occupation
concrete
Hey guys, I'm tinkerin on my old 68 crackerbox GMC, 3 injectors are stuck. I got them out and soaked em in 50/50 acetone and tranny fluid to no avail. any ideas besides new ones?

Attachments

• IMG_2251.jpg
    IMG_2251.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 1,504

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
That's sweet ibc! What motor does the jimmy have in it?

I thought I knew everywhere around here, but I must admit, don't know where Waxhaw is. :)

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Most of the time when those injectors get stuck it is because water has run through them and sprung the rack. In my experience it also blows the tips off the injectors.

You will need to take them to someone who can take them apart. I suspect they are ruined though.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
671 inline detroit
Waxhaws' 30 miles south of Charlotte 9 miles Nrth of Lancaster SC

Cool, wasn't thinking of the Charlotte area. ;)

In my opinion, the 6-71 is the best sounding Detroit made. Pulling a grade with one pegged on the governor...she's singing! :)

stinkycat

Occupation
retired, disabled vet
Very carefully disassemble them and place in clean diesel fuel do not touch lapped parts with your bare hands keep wet with fuel be sure to check the rack and the gear that rotates the plunger inside the barrel you should be able to remove the spring and clean the rust off. The stack can be lapped using a lapping block talcum power check the "O" ring and see its free.

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
Hey guys, I'm tinkerin on my old 68 crackerbox GMC, 3 injectors are stuck. I got them out and soaked em in 50/50 acetone and tranny fluid to no avail. any ideas besides new ones?

As stated, you need to get some rebuilt injectors. I have seen them on eBay at a good price, not sure what quality you are getting.
If you hadnt already took them out, I would suggest a trick that works sometimes, on engines that have set up a while, what the heck here goes.
If you have injectors that are sticking or stuck (hopefully the engine didnt run away) the engine is running, take a drift pin, like a 3/8" x 8" extension and tap the injector plunger (the thing that goes up and down) keep tapping lightly most of the time, it will free itself. Word of caution, working on these babies " Have a pair of vise grips on the rack/tube" you can control the engine speed/rpms.
Every Detroit mechanic working on 71 & 53 series will use the vise grips, it only takes one run away to remind you of this (and a clean pair of underwear)
Good Luck, these are tough engine and will run forever, noisy and a bit smokey but they pull great
Keep us posted
I live in New Bern and Coastal Diesel, has good prices on Detroit aftermarket parts and they have rebuilt injectors. I have a friend of mine that has a good 6-71 that is still in a truck, if you know anyone that needs one of these jewels. I think he want $900 for it

Last edited:

ibc

Occupation
concrete
update

My dad got the injectors freed up today while I was at work, he's retired.
I didn't know that about not touching them with your bare fingers. They look good, no rust and seem like there gonna work. I'm gonna stick em back in this week end. I'll post the results......maybe a video. Ed

stinkycat

Occupation
retired, disabled vet
I was talking about internal parts these are easy to rebuild

ibc

Occupation
concrete
yeah, like these internal parts?

I agree,they are easy. Getting the bushing out was the hardest part. My best e bay purchase has to be a Detroit service manual I bought 5 years ago.
I have several detroits for future projects... (1) 4-53 (1) 6-71 (2) 3-53
I would love to find a 1-53 or 1-71
These motors are great!

Attachments

• IMG_2294.jpg
    IMG_2294.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 869

AK HDM

Occupation
Retired HD Mechanic/Welder/Electrician
ibc, good luck finding a 1-53 or 1-71 as they weren't made:)
How are the plunger & barrel? JMO, I would put rebuilt injectors in rather than trying to clean them, unless you have the test equipment to make sure the spray pattern is correct and it won't dribble fuel.

ibc

Occupation
concrete
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28jAdxeSyVM

Here ya go, a 1-71
Tried to upload it but I guess I couldn't so just copy and paste or just search single cyl detroit.

Last edited:

AK HDM

Occupation
The 1-71 has to be really rare,I've seen & worked on quite a few 2-71s on gen sets & welders, but never even heard of a 1-71. They aren't mentioned in service or parts manuals. I learned something new.:) I'll bet they are had to get parts for; such as gaskets,cam & crankshaft

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
1-71

ibc, good luck finding a 1-53 or 1-71 as they weren't made:)
How are the plunger & barrel? JMO, I would put rebuilt injectors in rather than trying to clean them, unless you have the test equipment to make sure the spray pattern is correct and it won't dribble fuel.
They did make a Detroit 1-71, I worked on one when I went to mechanic military school and 2 since then, of course that was 38 years ago. I have seen and had a 2-71. I have never heard of a 1-53 or even a 2-53, but Im thinking they did make a 2-53
These small engines were used for pump and generator appliciations, the exact, moving parts fits a 1-71 through a 6-71 as long as the blocks are the same.
Good Luck

ibc

Occupation
concrete
youtube

Search any one of those engines on you tube and you will be there for hours watching engines run. I know I am.
Another good search is....."shifting an old mack"

AK HDM

Occupation
2-53 were made & used in generators, welders, pumps & other applications.
Cylinder kits, rods, bearings valve train, injectors & other small parts were common between all the inline engines in each series[53,71].
There have been quite a few 3-53s & 4-53s put in pickups over the years.
The 3-53 is a little shy on power. The weight & noise is a factor also.

ibc, did you get the truck running yet? How is the rest of the fuel system?
My concern would be that with 3 stuck injectors that the others may go next when you fire it up. Good luck

ibc

Occupation
concrete
No, I haven't. This truck was on it's way to the scrap yard when a buddy of mine called and asked if I wanted it , of course I did. it spent most of it's life hauling mission supplies out west, up north and in Alaska. It's sort of a hobby project (as I have many) that I am determined to put very little money in (I am in the residential concrete buisness, not too good right now) so thats why I'm cleaning them and puttin back in as is.
I have had the truck running but it ran wide open of course and on only 3 cylinders, you should have seen us tryin to shut it down, I ended up disconnecting the fuel line.
I'll put new filters in it and use a clean bucket of fuel before I start it again and have my vice grips on the rack rod.
Did I mention that the truck sat for about 15 years, they used to start it every year up untill the last five.
Here's a picture of us bringin it home. The other pictures are of airline generator I picked up last year with a great running 4-53. I plan to use that engine in a 1943 BE pull shovel.

Attachments

• IMG_2253.jpg
    IMG_2253.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_1741.jpg
    IMG_1741.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 448
  • IMG_1746.jpg
    IMG_1746.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 438