• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Stuck Injectors

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I would love to see that old jimmy freshened up, I remember those trucks well. Back in the 70's, there was a bread company here in town that had that same truck and F model Macks in their fleet. And their jimmy's all had 6-71's.

AK HDM

Occupation
Retired HD Mechanic/Welder/Electrician
ibc, when you install the fuel lines to the injectors put a drop of oil on the flared end between the flare & the nut, it helps to keep from cracking or twisting the line. Torque the injector hold down to 30 ft.lbs.& the fuel ines to12 ft.lbs.
The 4-53 looks like it has a woodward hydraulic governor. The woodward is alot more responsive than a regular mechanical variable speed governor. you'll have to make some adjustments to it when you get it in the BE. I don't know what high Rpm on that gen set is as it probably a 400 Hertz gen set.
If I can help, just let me know.
Mike

stinkycat

Occupation
retired, disabled vet
It's a 400Hz Military generator set probably a USN unit used on Aircraft carriers, could be a Hobart

ibc

Occupation
concrete
Thanks for the tips Mike. Yeah it's 400Hz used by Eastern airlines at the Charlotte airport in the late 80's.
Theres a switch on it that changes from drive to gen and when you switch to gen you better have your earplugs in.

ibc

Occupation
concrete
Running

Well I took a little time today and put my injectors back in. I cleaned them with acetone, lapped all the sealing surfaces, installed a new seal, filters and gaskets. Put em back in and started it up.:drinkuphttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6ZVNWIErOY

Oldiron

Well I took a little time today and put my injectors back in. I cleaned them with acetone, lapped all the sealing surfaces, installed a new seal, filters and gaskets. Put em back in and started it up.:drinkuphttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6ZVNWIErOY

Good to here you got it running, I know of some old 6-71 parts and a rebuilt head. I also know of a few compound drives if you are into detroit stuff

truklodyte

Occupation
equipment opp
Go to Boats & Harbors yellow sheet listings and you can get a complete engine for about $1000 or less only because they never really changed since WW2.I ran equipment with them , trucks and big boats .The only difference between a marine use and a road use is the heat exchanger on the front of the engine.Back in the day I would go to the truck shop for parts because it was cheaper now its the other way around its cheaper at the marine yellow sheets.
http://www.boats-and-harbors.com/classifieds.cfm