• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

some work pictures

TOM V

Occupation
Mechanic, Welder, Office work ect.
Your right, this got a new shaft, impeller, and seal. It was warmer outside in the sun than in the shop.

pointrow

Occupation
drainage/farming
Short story about JD water pumps. After breaking a pump pressing the bearing out I decided to have the next one hired done. While waiting for a radiator to be recored I removed the pump and took to JD to rebuild. Put it all back together and hadn't run 15 min. when the fan blade and hub came apart and went right trough my new $1900. radiator. JD replaced all new at no charge.

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
Hi Tom, Hope you had a nice holiday, and had a few days of! Look forward to seeing you work pictures in 2013 and hope you get plenty of work to picture! though im sure you will with your standards!

Wishing you a happy New Year!
Aiden

TOM V

Occupation
Hi Tom, Hope you had a nice holiday, and had a few days of! Look forward to seeing you work pictures in 2013 and hope you get plenty of work to picture! though im sure you will with your standards!

Wishing you a happy New Year!
Aiden

Thanks Aiden, had a good holiday, more days off then I wanted, not much on the books but as soon as I have some pictures I'll post them. Hope to have a better year in 2013.

Happy New Year to you and all of the HEF members.
TOM V

dirty4fun

I hope you are a little bit busier than you want to be. That way we will get some more pictures of some great repairs done by you.

oldirt

best of luck, Tom, and happy new year. I sure enjoy every one of your stories.

TOM V

Occupation
A few recent pics, cutting some wear plates out of the feed area of this chipper.
IMAG0144.jpgIMAG0146.jpg
Repairing a cracked hydraulic pipe for an Akerman.
IMAG0180.jpgIMAG0181.jpgIMAG0185.jpg

TOM V

Occupation
A few more.
IMAG0187.jpg
A deflecter for an Elgin vac sweeper.
IMAG0198.jpgIMAG0199.jpgIMAG0201.jpgIMAG0203.jpg

oldirt

tom, since I don't know, what is "dual shield" welding wire? I suspect flux core and gas outer?

TOM V

Occupation
tom, since I don't know, what is "dual shield" welding wire? I suspect flux core and gas outer?

Dual shield is a flux cored wire that is used with a shielding gas.

trackguy

Occupation
Internet Sales Team Member
Tom we see that all the time, they wait until the teeth wear down and upon doing so damage the links in the tracks as well from the sharp bite.

Extractorfan

Occupation
operator earthmoving machines
TomV,
My cousins husband does similar work to you here in the UK, line boreing welding, fabrication but not the mechanical repairs, like you he does some interesting work, (to me anyway). I was talking to him before Christmas he said he was 65 years old in March, no intention of retiring yet,although he says he has thrown the 28lb hammer out of his van as he is not using it again.
On the subject of bending metal, I carried out some civil engineering work at a steelworks in Sheffield a few years ago, they were making parts for military tanks, and were straightening 3/8" thick plate using an 8000ton press driven by water hydraulics. I asked the works engineer what the press was originally used for he said during the Second World War it was used for bending 20" thick armour plate for battle ships. The only press I have seen which is larger than this was a 10000 ton hot forging press in Forgemasters works, they forge 300 ton ingots with this for steam/hydro generation shafts etc.
Keep up the good work - nice to see a professional at work - good luck for 2013.
Ex tractor fan

TOM V

Occupation
A few shots from today, replacing a Vacon body.
IMAG0220.jpgIMAG0221.jpgIMAG0222.jpgIMAG0223.jpgIMAG0224.jpg

dirty4fun

Kind of looks like they left you holding the can! You sure get a variety of different things to do.

TOM V

Occupation
Hey Tom, what went wrong w/ the vac con? rust or worn thin from the inside out?

Mitch, it''s worn thin and rotted, replaced the inlet on top 7 years ago, lined the lower third of the body 3 years ago, rust is popping through all over, so it's time to replace it.

TOM V

Occupation
A few shots from today, Vacon getting a new body.
IMAG0225.jpgIMAG0227.jpgIMAG0230.jpg