• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

some work pictures

TOM V

Occupation
Mechanic, Welder, Office work ect.
Ohiofleet, you can get the grease pump from Caterpillar p/n 7H-1660 or Alemite 7149.

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
ohiofleet, there is a few on ebay under alemite part number................theironoracle

oldirt

tom, when welding up holes that are really egged out, how do you get the welder to fill the low spots more than the other areas and still end up with a round hole? This has been bugging me so I have to ask.

I agree on the last four years thing, but it doesn't look good to get out of the rut anytime soon.

TOM V

Occupation
tom, when welding up holes that are really egged out, how do you get the welder to fill the low spots more than the other areas and still end up with a round hole? This has been bugging me so I have to ask.

I agree on the last four years thing, but it doesn't look good to get out of the rut anytime soon.

I will bore the hole to clean/true it up, if it's egged out badly I would build up the low area by hand.

TOM V

Occupation
Going back to the drilling

Do you heat it cherry red and the quench it with a wet rag??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I drill HARDOX 400 AND 450 all the time with M42 tin coat annular cutters.

gusbratz

I have just read through the entire thread and found it very interesting and informative. I have a question, when ever these types of jobs come up in my life it is always muddy and raining or snowing and blowing and covered in 3 inches of grease and filth. Do you have them clean the equipment up before you get there or do you have a pressure washer on your truck?
Thanks Gus.

TOM V

Occupation
I have just read through the entire thread and found it very interesting and informative. I have a question, when ever these types of jobs come up in my life it is always muddy and raining or snowing and blowing and covered in 3 inches of grease and filth. Do you have them clean the equipment up before you get there or do you have a pressure washer on your truck?
Thanks Gus.

If it's a planned repair the customer would most likely clean the equipment for me but the emergency repairs are almost always a mess, and no pressure washer.

oarwhat

Tom I asked about holding the bucket arms up on the Fiat 120. You replied your doing one at a time. How does the other cylinder hold it up? Do you plug the lines from the removed cylinder? Or how is it done? I've always leaned the arms on a tandem dump. It work well except the dump can get in the way. Thanks Randy

TOM V

Occupation
I removed the hoses on one cylinder in the lowered position, capped them off , unpinned the rod end, raised the loader arms with one cylinder, then removed cylinder. The arms had to be in the lowered position to remove the hoses and raised position to remove the cylinder from the machine.

oarwhat

Thanks for the explanation Tom. I like the idea but I wouldn't want to work under loader arms held up by the cylinder. My loaders are old Cat 988A's and 980B's. The cylinders are center mounted and you have to work under the arms. I bet with that Fiat you just pull out the bottom pin from below and remove the cylinder. No worries that way.

oldirt

TomV, thank you for taking the time to show us all the fine work you do. I have found it extremely interesting and quite humbling considering my meager ability compared to yours. Merry Christmas.

JBGASH

Occupation
Plumbing & Excavation Contractor / farmer
Tom what if hardox steel is not used for a bucket repair but instead steel that a machine shop would have in stock? Also do you use 100% hardox even for the side pieces?

TOM V

Occupation
Tom what if hardox steel is not used for a bucket repair but instead steel that a machine shop would have in stock? Also do you use 100% hardox even for the side pieces?

If I could not get Hardox, I would use AR400 or some other abrasion resistant steel. Knowing that A36(mild steel) is 120-160 brinell, A514(T-1 or weldox100) is 235-290 brinell, and Hardox450 is 450 brinell, I think a bucket repaired with anything else would wear quite rapidly. No not always 100% Hardox, it depends what steel I have on hand, but always some type of A R plate. This mini bucket I just rebuilt had Hardox 400 and 450 used on all replaced and added sections.
IMAG0171.jpg

dirty4fun

Once more a very impressive looking job Tom, sure should put a smile on your customer's face.

TOM V

Occupation
Some from today, a DEERE 550G water pump rebuild.
IMAG0173.jpgIMAG0174.jpgIMAG0175.jpgIMAG0178.jpgIMAG0179.jpg

d9gdon

Tom, you cheated and brought it inside the shop.

I seem to remember to always put a new shaft and a new impeller in a Deere water pump?