• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Some Line Boring Pics

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
Pretty mundane job today. I bought this new WA500 bucket home and bored it in my workshop.Easy work,just bore the holes out to size and cut the faces to size.DSC04582small.jpgDSC04581small.jpg

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
Bores are 120mm. I normally knock one of those over in 8 or 9 hours. Very easy straight forward job. I did bring it home on the trailer:eek: Theres also a PC2000 bucket waiting to be bored at the same shop. I told them to put that on too:D

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
994 Centre Pivot

I did the centre pivot this week. I put two machines on it and knocked it over in 21/2 days. Pretty straight forward job except I'm getting to old to be climbing up and down scaffolding all day:(
We used a piano wire to centre the bearings and all the way through then machined the top and the bottom seperately but still within 1 or 2 thou of alignment.DSC04605s.jpgDSC04604s.jpgDSC04607s.jpgDSC04594small.jpg

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
The piano wire gauge is a great tool for getting alignments right. The wire is insulated from earth and carries a 1.5 volt current.A pair of headphones are connected and when a mike shorts out the wire you get a crackle in the phones. The difference between a crackle and none is half a thou.We centre the wire in the top and bottom bores first and then line the intermediate bearings to the wire.

Attachments

• DSC04595s.jpg
    DSC04595s.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 3,870
  • DSC04615s.jpg
    DSC04615s.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 3,861
  • DSC04598s.jpg
    DSC04598s.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 3,855
  • DSC04617s.jpg
    DSC04617s.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 3,834
  • DSC04609s.jpg
    DSC04609s.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 3,847

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
Those 994's are quite narrow. I remember when they first came out the tyres where a lot narrower and there was one up at Argyle diamond mine that used to fall over a bit:eek:It was also known as the "Moth" Everytime the workshop light came on it drove in:D
And I am getting to old to be climbing up on those things. These days I would be happy to leave that work to younger men and I can stay in my shed and do a bit of lathe and mill work;)

dirty4fun

Ray, that new mill is calling, your name. I sure don't blame you, always nice to work in the shop, and now with a new mill even better.

OldandWorn

And I am getting to old to be climbing up on those things. These days I would be happy to leave that work to younger men and I can stay in my shed and do a bit of lathe and mill work;)

Hey! you could start a new industry....Mobility Scooter Lifts for the elderly mechanic :tong

Ray, where do you get a reference point for the piano wire?

Is the white stuff on the welds for crack inspection?

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
Mate,easier to just stop doing it:D Maybe not:( I threaten it all the time but they con me into one more job.
Yes the white paint is where they have mag particle tested for cracks. They spent a few weeks on welding on this machine.
In this case we centered the wire to the top and bottom bores. You can centre to any bore that you know is in the original position although with an artic pivot a few thou out of position is not the end of the world. Its just important that everything is in line.:)

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
At last I have a break from onsite work and have had a chance to get into some lathe and mill work:) One of my clients is building a new Hitachi EX1900 bucket and I'm currently doing the bosses and caps for the floating pins.I've been working on the caps the last few days.They are cut out of 50 mm plate by 270 diameter.18mm holes on a 220 PCD and a 42 mm counterbore. I had a slot drill which did the job nicely. I was a bit concerned it would be too big a cut but it cut easily:)DSC04815small.jpgDSC04812small.jpg

Last edited:

OldandWorn

Do you find it easier to use the rotary table rather than the bolt hole circle routine on the DRO. I assume your DRO has that feature?

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
Yes the readout does do bolt circles. I just found it easy to use centre as a datum,shift the table along the radius and start drilling.I put a paint pen mark at 60 deg intervals on the rotating table scale so its quick and easy shift.:) I'm open to suggestions. In no way am I an expert miller. I just feel my way:eek:

OldandWorn

Makes sense to me with multiple pieces now that I think about it. That would be a lot of wheel spinning using the DRO.

TractorSteve

Looks like you found yourself a pretty neat nitch market. It looks like you have the know how to do a great job, and then do it. I for one would enjoy seeing more of your work, when you have time to share it with us. Someday I would like to see all the steps and how it is done in person. Always like to know more about mechanical things.

Agreed. You've done a great job I'd definitely like to see more of your work and the step-by-step process.

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
Hi Steve.The mill has got a 7.5 Kw inverter motor. Heaps of power.The tooling is 40 International. Just bought a tapping chuck for it seeing I'm doing heaps of threading. I've just finished all the 1900 bosses and caps and I'm now onsite boring the bucket.DSC04882small.jpg

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
Here's a poor phone pic of the 1900 bucket.I've done some weld preps on it and going back next week to do it after all the bosses are welded in.
Starting a new PC2000 bucket in the same shop tomorrow.Hitachi EX1900 Bucket smal.jpg