• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Some Line Boring Pics

steve loving

Yep i like it as far as the sag goes ive seen a formula for wire lengths of 25 feet or more to compensaite for sag. sorry about the spelling that formula i think had a name but i cant recall what it was you might know. I have pulled string from other pins checking from one side to the other with a mark on the string and a fish pull gauge lol. It was a bent boom on a 375 michigan.

OldandWorn

Nice looking work Ray! Does the round bar that the boring head is mounted to extend all the way through the workpiece to the other side or is it short and supported by the spiders on both sides?

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
Nice looking work Ray! Does the round bar that the boring head is mounted to extend all the way through the workpiece to the other side or is it short and supported by the spiders on both sides?
The boring bar is long enough to go through the other end.This is not necessary for the alignment as all the support bearings have been set in line. I do it mainly to spread the load while machining over as many bearings as possible.You may have noticed that the spiders are mounted in half circle shells that I tack weld inside.You can't see what you are welding,its done by feel so the welds tend to be a bit dodgy.So I don't like to put all my trust in one bearing:)
Steve,I'm not sure about the wire formula. The wire attachment comes with a chart so I just use that.:)

OldandWorn

The boring bar is long enough to go through the other end.This is not necessary for the alignment as all the support bearings have been set in line. I do it mainly to spread the load while machining over as many bearings as possible.You may have noticed that the spiders are mounted in half circle shells that I tack weld inside.You can't see what you are welding,its done by feel so the welds tend to be a bit dodgy.So I don't like to put all my trust in one bearing:)
Steve,I'm not sure about the wire formula. The wire attachment comes with a chart so I just use that.:)

Thanks Ray....I think I understand. Sorta like the way a steady rest on a lathe would function.

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
I've done a lot of these over the years.Did a lot of D9L modifications where we altered the bore sizes to take 10N bearings and seals. This one is a 9N where the bearing area has flogged out to the point that the circlip groove has broken out. Its simple enough to machine out the broken groove and weld the bearing areas and seal bore and bring it all back to standard. Whoops'Pics didn't load in order but you blokes will work it out!:D
DSC01410small.jpgDSC01406small.jpgDSC01409small.jpgDSC01411small.jpgDSC01407small.jpg

Last edited:

steve loving

Ray when you start on the 994 post the pics ive never seen one in person. I have worked in a shop and we did some 92's ground up but i have seen photo compairsons and there big. I dont see alot of bigger stuff around here i did mouses ear on 92 about a year ago thats about as big as it gonna get here. Does the 994 have collet set up on the boom pins. I havent done a lot of bores for collets the ones i have i always had a good side to go by. What is a good rule of thumb for dia/length

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
I will post some pics if I ever get to start it:D The workshop it at has a rule,no climbing over 6 feet with out scaffolding and harness. When I told them I needed to get up on top they decided not to do the top bores. So I told them about the 4 thou Cat alignment tolerance and told them they are welcome to do it any way they want but if I do it,the top holes will be done.:)So its now scaffolded up waiting for me.
My missus broke her foot a few weeks back and until she's off crutches I'm working in the shop at home.:(
I've done a set of D10 blade swivel blocks in the lathe and a set of PC2000 bucket end caps and a whole heap of other small jobs that have been hanging around.

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
I've hd this mill ordered for a few month's.It arrived today (at last).All inverter drive feeds and drive motor with a nice readout. I'm looking forward to putting a bit of work through it

DSC04578small.jpgDSC04580small.jpg

dirty4fun

Good looking and nice size mill Ray. I bet you will enjoy making some parts on a nice new machine. Thanks for more pictures sure is some interesting great looking work you are doing.

steve loving

Ray you will enjoy that its a nice mill. 3 axis dro and power drawbar whats the table 14/60 thats nice. The z axis on the readout will be great for counterboring for seals and stuff. Ray have a look at Darex bolt circle solver goes hand in hand with your dro Steve

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
Its a 72 inch table and I think a 60 inch travel so I can get 100 ton digger dog bones on and do both ends without moving them.Its got 18 inch travel the other way.Whats the Darex dooverberry? This DRO does bolt circles and stores them once I work out how to enter them.With the old mill I either used a rotary table or done them with a calculator.I'll be spoilt with this one.:)

steve loving

Thats good it will do bolt circles. If you are still using your old mill on some jobs using the darex you will have the holes drilled before you can get a calculator turned on if it has a dro

sino-john

Occupation
international trade
very nice job!compared with a new one,there is almost no difference.

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
DSC03460small.jpgDSC03464small.jpgDSC03469smll.jpgDSC03457small.jpgDSC03451small.jpgThis is a Komatsu WA 700 rear axle pivot I bored a while back. It was simple enough. I machined up a lining up jig that bolted up to the bolt circle of the tractor.Made it a little undersize and used jacking bolts to dial it up centre. It was a bit cramped working under there but it finished up OK. The bores take nylon bearings which seem to wear out bores quicker than anything else.

Last edited:

steve loving

I enjoy making tooling for a job as much as the job sometimes. The komatsu finished up nice i have a drawer full of washers i have bored for my boring bars with differnt od's for quick set up then a quick recheck and bore.

Boring welder

work is steady. dont no where it all comes from but it keeps comming . so thats good. i dont go over 250 dia so there is lots around.