• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Snow tires?

HootyHoo2012

What is everyone running for snow/ice tires?.. I really hate the stock bobcat tires there horible in snow and ice i slid all over the place is anyone here running a certain brand or model id like to hear peopls life expericence with cert. tires use any info would be great?? Thanks

stuvecorp

I'm running 19.5 truck tires, don't remenber the size offhand. They seem to get a lot better traction than regular skid tires and also pickup some speed. You can get 22.5 sized to really scoot...

When it's all ice they still aren't perfect.

Danny Steel

Occupation
Farmer/Landscaper/Welder/Fitter
What about tire chains, I have never seen them on a skid steer but I would think they should work

Bobcatdan

Tire chains do make a big improvment, but guys commericaly plowing don't like them because they will mark up blacktop pretty bad. A lot of guys are going to truck tires.

HootyHoo2012

ive seen some guys around here run some of the old military tires they looks huge on the machine tho!! might just see if i can grab a set of some used E rated snow tires and see how they work!! i picked up a set of mastercraft snow tires for my dump and belive it or not they actually make a world of a difrence in performance..

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I didn't like the traction of the Chevron tread in snow either. When it came time to replace them, I tried Solideal LifeMasters and have been very happy with them.

Solideal.jpg

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
I didn't like the traction of the Chevron tread in snow either. When it came time to replace them, I tried Solideal LifeMasters and have been very happy with them.

View attachment 99499

That pic you show Steve …… Are those an original tread tire or are those a recap ? ………. I've contemplated that tread in a recap + get them siped …. that is a similar tread that i'm using on my dually and they've got to be the best tire i've ever used on it …… but on a skid I wasn't sure ….. cheers

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
It's a virgin tire. The tread is very aggressive and I can report lasts much longer than the Chevron tread. The Galaxy Chevron that was O/E on my 248 were racing slicks at 800 hours. I have 500 hours on these LifeMasters and about 25% tread wear or less. They aren't quite as effective in gooey mud as the Chevron but in all other applications they are as good or better. They definitely work better in snow.

I decided to give this tire a try for the same reason as you. I drove a tractor trailer that had this same tread design that worked very well in snow.

http://www.solidealtires.com/products/13-lifemasters.aspx

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
Thanx for the link Steve ! …… i'm going to bookmark it ……….. how do they price out compared to the Galaxy chevrons, i'm also assuming that you also use 12x16.5 10 or 12 ply's ...

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
That sounds like the right size. If I remember right, they cost about $800 for 4, but that was before rubber prices got stupid. I think a Chevron tread in an unknown brand was going to be $600, so they are more expensive but the tread life is leaps and bounds better than the Chevron. You also get better traction in snow, less turf damage, less hopping when turning on pavement and in my opinion all around better performance, except in extreme mud like I mentioned.

ironjunkie

I'm running 19.5 truck tires, don't remenber the size offhand. They seem to get a lot better traction than regular skid tires and also pickup some speed. You can get 22.5 sized to really scoot...

When it's all ice they still aren't perfect.

What do you do for rims??

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
That's what I kinda expected to hear, Steve ……. with my A-300 tread were life is not even an issue I got just over 2600hrs on the original set of rubber, and probably 50-60% tread depth still there … but tire life due cuts and abrasion was the problems that caused me to retire (pardon the pun) the old tires … too many flats thru the cuts. I was lucky to find a brand new set of mounted "Take Off's" from a Bcat dealer for less than a set of OEM tires.

But what interests me, now that I have an extra set of rims, is how well those tires grip in everything except mud …. that's where the OTT grousers come into play…. and mostly in the early stages of winter in the snow, once winter really kicks in I'd be chaining up all the way around anyways

Thanx for the info, I think before next winter I'm gonna seriously look into those "Lifemasters" possible get them siped as well ….. cheers

stuvecorp

The set I got and how they seem to be sold here is compete, you get the tires and rims for $1300-1400. I think the tire place that is doing them uses a truck rim with a skid center welded in.

snocrete

Occupation
concrete, light excavating, snow & ice management
yipes, I'm glad I'm not paying the bills to maintain the CASE in the last Video.

Time is money except when all the money goes back in fixing an abused machine

LOL.......an idiot ramming a machine into piles while pushing a thimble full of snow really dosent show the benefits of dedicated snow tires.

Lot of guys speak highly of Wolf paws

We've ran them on a few Bobcat s185's, and currently run them on a CAT 246C. Work great!