• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Sneak Preview.

Eddiebackblade

Very valid point that Andy, and one I got the wrong answer to when I was sold the unit.

I was under the impression that I would have to press a button to switch between tilt and grab and control it with the same roller.
However the set up and also John Craig are much smarter than that, and what happens is there is an extra button on the outside edge of each lever that you operate with your first finger.
This allows you to keep your thumbs on the rollers at all times and then use your fingers to open and close the grab i.e all the functions at once!
There is a changeover switch between this and the integral grab which operates the same way.

The really clever bit is if you feel the need to pick up something very carefully, you can switch the grab onto the tilt roller for greater control.

Basically with the proportional set up and the right person to set it up on the control box you can have what you want.

I hear you with the 'tilt' on a selector grab, but it's just another thing that you would never go back having tried it.
Hard to imagine until you use one, but the time and repositioning saved is massive.

I know some mean person who specced a CAT 320 D with two foot pedals to operate a big selector grab and everyone who's tackled it has made some pretty bad comments!
It would be a long shift in that.

What part of the country are you Andy?

Eddiebackblade

OK, this is your final warning :D PICTURES! :drinkup

Rob, I'll post you a train ticket to come up and get you a couple of films if this will keep you happy!!
:D
Obviously I was pretty tied up on the morning, it was like being in Dragons Den for 2 hours! So I am waiting for Natural England to sort out what they have taken and pass it on to me.
I've been asked indirectly today to do another demo for a different region as I am on the border of two area's.
Hard to know what to do as the costs can quickly add up and no guarantees of any work!
I have this week and then it's out to work anyway so time may be against another demo.

Demo_Andy

Occupation
Demolition Machine operator
What part of the country are you Andy?

I'm in Warwickshire Eddie, working for a Birmingham based demo company.

Well the way you've explained that set up sounds bang on, I'd definately say that being able to control the three functions simultaneously is a must. For example if your machine is on a different level to say a 2' x 2' slab, as you rotate grab to line up, open to right width then feather the angle to land square on - all makes sense. Having to switch between functions, although effortless it would break the rhythm.

I certainly wouldn't have specced a new machine with foor pedal control, I actually spent a year or so on a Komatsu 210-7 with foot pedal set up operating a grab and it wasn't clever. You'd get use to it but as you get better you want to use tracks at the same time, so unless you've got 4 legs its a no-go.

The proportional switches are a god send and being able to control everything as well as feet on the track pedals is exactly what you need.

I have no idea of the cost of these different controls set ups and I bet buying from Cat wouldn't be cheap but I'd make sure it would be comfortable foremost. Comfortable= production in my eyes.

Theres no doubt theres being times I've thought tilt would be good here, but I think in demo we'll have to just get on with what we've got! Would be good linked up to the grabs and buckets for light duty demo but when it come to heavy work, hammering, concrete cracker type stuff the engcon would have to come off. Theres some pics of my type of work in the demo forum if your interested, UK Demo pictures I think the thread is called.

Andy

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
Rob, I'll post you a train ticket to come up and get you a couple of films if this will keep you happy!!
Obviously I was pretty tied up on the morning, it was like being in Dragons Den for 2 hours! So I am waiting for Natural England to sort out what they have taken and pass it on to me.
I've been asked indirectly today to do another demo for a different region as I am on the border of two area's.
Hard to know what to do as the costs can quickly add up and no guarantees of any work!
I have this week and then it's out to work anyway so time may be against another demo.

Carefull offering out tickets Eddie, i might want a plane ticket:D:drinkup

That really is a great service, you have got from the suppling dealer, hats off to them!!

As for the second demo, could you let them see you at work on the first job you have lined up?

lectro88

Occupation
master electrician/owner
Eddie
Let me say yet again what an awsome machine. I am a little slight shade of green. (i want 1) We all know you paid a primo price and (here is vinegar poured on a open wound) got plastic rims still spinning on a Bentley. You deserve better and let me also say you have been a very good sport about it all. I would make the 1st job for the buckets burying a few of the ones responsible for not making it right, then sue their a$$e$ offff, the ones left. I really hope you prevail as you deserve.

Eddiebackblade

Demo pics and video are starting to appear, and here are a few pics that one person attending has posted.
They mainly show the business end of the machine, but you can see the machine and mower in some.
They all loved how it can place fencing stakes, and in soft ground it is really fast at it.
The few pics with the bucket show an awkward rock that was right where I was digging (They only want 4 to 6 inches of soil removed to form a shallow pool) and was making life difficult.
It demonstrates how the integral grab can help you out in the blink of an eye and I simply pulled it out like a tooth and carried on.
More on the way.http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk131/charlie280681/LGP digger/

hvy 1ton

Looking good Eddie. If building engineered wetlands and such is getting as big over there as it has around here, i think you'll be knee deep in jobs before long. They just finished a 300ac(~120ha) wetland remediation project to appease the greenies for the K10 bypass, yet a group of KU students is trying to stop the project for the 5th time in 10 years. It's already half-way done and we have the real bridge to nowhere, but i digress. Hope to see some pics of paying jobs soon.:drinkup

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Demo pics and video are starting to appear, and here are a few pics that one person attending has posted.

:Banghead I suppose the ticket offer has been withdrawn now then :D

Keep um coming :thumbsup.

I noticed your comment about pinning straight on and saving some weight. I can see how that would work for you as the likelyhood of you using a breaker for a prolonged length of time or any seriously hard digging are prety remote which are the times they recommend dropping the tilty.

I was suprised to see you bought a selector grab as you have the integral one but then if you are doing site clearance brush clearing etc it will be a great asset as you had already worked out. :tong

Eddiebackblade

Half a ticket and lunch only now Rob!:D

I've had a ridiculous quote for the bracket to Direct mount the Engcon so I can take the quick hitch off. It must be made from titanium at a price of £3,000:eek::eek:
It would be a good move I'm certain but not at that price, I would think a shorter dipper arm would be cheaper fom Kubota!

Selector grab from Engcon is beautifully made and extremely light compared to all others I had quotes for. It is also extremely expensive, but has Expander pivots throughout which should ensure a long rattle free life.
Even the SK10 model I have to suit the Kubota will open out to 1.7 metres which is a good amount.
I definately made the right choice with the Integral grab, as it is simply brilliant and so easy to use with how the joysticks are set up.

You have never seen a low loader loaded with 6 buckets and a mower so fast! I tracked on with the mower hanging securely from the integral grab, whilst having the selector grab fitted. I then placed the mower down on the bed and loaded the buckets with the selector grab in double quick time, we were off with no hassle and a happy low loader driver!

I have a bit of a dilema with the flail mower and have been looking into a rear mounted auxiliary powerpack for it, to finish the job and my bank balance off completely!:D

Hopefully full working pics next week and It's possibly a steep enough site to get that winch cable out for the first time!;)

Eddiebackblade

Had the shock of my life this morning when the suppling dealer of the Kubota sent me an Invoice for 'Modify Buckets for Kubota Kx 080 as agreed'
£700 please!! :eek::eek::mad::mad::Banghead:Banghead:pointhead

I was supplied Buckets that did not work with the machine, and they now have the face to ask me to pay the Jokers who made them in the first place £700 to put them right.

If it was my place to put them right, they don't honestly think I would have taken the buckets back to them do they?
They don't deserve a penny more of my hard earned cash.
I would have used someone cheaper and local who I would trust to do them right.

This is the last straw with me regarding this machine, and if I don't start getting some decent answers on the Buckets and Flail mower then things are sadly going to get messy all round.

I'm at my wits end :pointhead with with machine conversions, it would have been easier and cheaper to just buy a CAT 307 on 2ft pads with a good tilt bucket and sit at home until it was dry enough to work!:D

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Had the shock of my life this morning when the suppling dealer of the Kubota sent me an Invoice for 'Modify Buckets for Kubota Kx 080 as agreed'
£700 please!!

Jeez ! I can see this getting messy. Somebody thinks your a soft touch my friend. Maybe time to take the gloves off and explain a few home truths to some people.

I hear you on the grabs, and the many options that can be programmed into that magic box of tricks they have. I was gobsmaked at SED when Oliver started to explain it. I know I never digested half of the info, I was trying to hard to keep my jaw off the floor :D

I bet the lowloader driver nearly wet himself when he saw that lot and a bloke who could use it, either would have been a suprise, but both, I bet he thought Christmas had come early. :notworthy

Hang on in there mate it will come good. :beerchug

amyliveshere

very interesting to read about your machine eddie.im not at all suprised about all your bucket problems.nobody these days cares about any thing.its a take it or leave it attitude.ive been recently trying to get some brochures on cat backhoes from finnings.rang them 3 times and e maild 5 times and nothing.also been waiting over 2 years to try a 3cx contractor with servo controls and again its next to impossible.good luck with your kubota.it looks a fantastic machine
nick..........

Eddiebackblade

Thanks Nick, I can relate to your experiences of not being taken too seriously.
I had a few classic phone calls where I tried to explain I wanted to chop up a new machine!
As I have said before that BTE plant sales have been really good throughout, and I sincerely hope that this bucket issue will not spoil that relationship.

I have a very good friend who walked into his JCB dealer looking for a very clean, late model, full spec backhoe loader and all they wanted to sell him was a new basic spec at a knock down price.
He pointed out he wanted all the toys as he drives it himself, but couldn't quite stretch to the new price this time.
In the end he just walked out and drove 1 mile to the Volvo dealer and bought a full spec 300 hour immaculte machine on the spot!
Just shows that some dealers are so short term sighted, he could of been sorted into a nice used JCB for a little while and looked after and the sale of the new machine would have come at his next trade in.

My personal theory is that most areas have a plant hire hierarchy, and the dealers will throw themselves at the long established companies at the expense of lesser players or those just starting out.
In my mind they do this at their peril, as all companies start somewhere and you shouldn't forget those who help you on the way.

If I were you I would get on the phone to Finning at Cannock and get the name at the Top, then E-mail them and explain the treatment you have received.
Point out that you subscribe to this Forum and others are wauting to see how they handle this.

Same for JCB, but go for SIr Anthony Bamford and remember to give as much detail about who you have contacted regarding viewing their machines.

Frustrates me that there are very few opportunities left to actually get in different types and makes of machines and actually have a real go.
I bought my Kubota after attending their Kubota Live event where you could actually have a dig with any of their products in real conditions.
I actually bought my Engcon and I had only ever used JCC's Volvo for a couple of minutes.
If operators could have Tiltrotators for a couple of day's then there would be some grown men reduced to tears when they took them back.

Eddiebackblade

The bucket saga is finally over hopefully, with the supplying dealer going after the bucket manufacturer to pay for the cost of the modifications.:D

Having a real good time out to work at present, trying everything out some really steep ground with plenty of wet patches to float over!

I have been having a play with the flail mower, and the Engcon definately must come off to use it.
Otherwise the combination of Engcon and Mower is just too much for the little Kubota.
I have posted a video of the Osma Semi Forestry flail Hoovering up Brambles with ease!
YouTube - VID 00016-20091211-1152.3GP

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
thats what we've been waiting to see!!

making some light work of that Eddie!

Eddiebackblade

Just thought I would give an update on how the Kubota has been performing during it's first couple of jobs.
To be honest I am really dissapointed that no real opportunity to do any actual digging has presented itself yet, hence no pictures of the Engcon forming some nice shapes at this time.:(
I have a nice size fishing pool to dig around March, in some really wet ground so that will be the real test of the set up.

As for everything else, I have been really busy with the Engcon/Selector Grab, and the Osma Flail mower for site clearance.
A combination that has provided some outstanding results on sites that basically nobody else wanted to quote for and we were given a chance at.

The selector grab is a complete revelation to the Tree lads, with the ability to sort and shift the brash and timber very quickly. It reduces the number of cuts for them dramatically as they just concentrate on any portion worth saving for firewood and the grab clears up the rest.
However it is the flail mower that is having most impact, it will clear a site at a quite unbelievable pace, leaving a very fine residue and a clear path everywhere for the Tree lads to work safely.
The before and after pics show what a transformation, and with careful planning and full use of all the machines reach hardly a mark is left on the site despite any slopes or contours.

The LGP set up is proving to be money well spent, it is very difficult to quantify how much extra floatation you gain but it very rarely cuts through more than a few inches and has only really sunk once in a particularily wet spot that just had to be driven into!:D

I have only praise for the Kubota, it is a good place to spend the day even at 6' 4" tall, and the build quality and finish are outstanding.
Fuel consumption is excellent, even when using the Flail mower for full days and no more than you would have expected an average 5 tonner to use.
Certainly if you are used to fuelling Cat 312's on a regular basis this will make you happy!:D

The Engcon has performed faultlessly, and enables very accurate positioning of the grab by having the ability to tilt.
I have said before how useful the Integral grab is, and there really is no going back now having got used to the ability to just pick items up and place the excactly where you want them instead of chasing them around with a bucket.
No lies here, weight is definately an issue with an Engcon set up but you get around it and win through in so many other ways it hardly matters.
I always remove the unit to fit the Flail mower as it is just too much for the Kubota, but it only takes a couple of minutes anyway so no real problem.

Only had the Winch out once, but it still gets all the attention from everyone who notices it. It works brilliantly from the blade control lever and is best described as 'on top of the job!':D

Only one incident to report, I was lucky to spot the master pin had come half way out on the Track but luckily it was easily pulled back into line with a ratchet strap and knocked back into place.
I put a couple of tacks on it with the welder to be certain it stays in place in the future, and cut a small notch in the end of the appropriate track pad so I can locate it straight away.

All things considered a good start, and I am looking for a very heavy duty Forestry mulcher to complement the Flail mower and take some more work off the Tree lads!

Attachments

• IMG00210-20091212-1201.jpg
    IMG00210-20091212-1201.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 956
  • IMG00236-20091217-1033.jpg
    IMG00236-20091217-1033.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 954
  • IMG00237-20091217-1034.jpg
    IMG00237-20091217-1034.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 957
  • IMG00240-20091217-1041.jpg
    IMG00240-20091217-1041.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 954
  • IMG00184-20091211-1233.jpg
    IMG00184-20091211-1233.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 971

Eddiebackblade

A few more, and obviously the Landrover is rescuing the Kubota!!:D

Attachments

• IMG00280-20100107-1304.jpg
    IMG00280-20100107-1304.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 939
  • IMG00258-20091219-1221.jpg
    IMG00258-20091219-1221.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 932
  • IMG00228-20091216-1150.jpg
    IMG00228-20091216-1150.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 941
  • IMG00283-20100107-1305.jpg
    IMG00283-20100107-1305.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 937
  • IMG00272-20100104-1635.jpg
    IMG00272-20100104-1635.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 968

Eddiebackblade

The latest site being cleared.
It got down to -12 degrees C, and the trouble we had to clear the Top rollers was unbelievable. Greatest respect to you guys working in colder climates, because we are just not used to it.
The video of me cutting slices of iced mud from around the top rollers with a Chainsaw is being kept under lock and key!!:D

Attachments

• IMG00284-20100110-0949.jpg
    IMG00284-20100110-0949.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 932
  • IMG00292-20100111-1243.jpg
    IMG00292-20100111-1243.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 923
  • IMG00291-20100111-1100.jpg
    IMG00291-20100111-1100.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 930
  • IMG00296-20100111-1406.jpg
    IMG00296-20100111-1406.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 934
  • IMG00300-20100112-1605.jpg
    IMG00300-20100112-1605.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 958

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
They have made the burning of deleterious matter here a criminal offence except for a member of the farming community.