• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Sneak Preview.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
WOW! :notworthy I had heard about this machine from the man who did it, I told him it better be good as the pictures were sure to end up here. :D

Congratulations Eddie. Must say that you seem to have taken the bull by the horns and had the full works. I do like that winch :yup a very neat idea. I will pass on the tilty thing ( luck b )
I expect to see a full 4 page spread in Earthmovers within the next couple of months ( thats to give you a bit of learning time ;) )

Eddiebackblade

Thank's Rob, I'm really happy with the end result and it's helping to open a few doors that I'd always thought were reserved for the chosen few.
The guy who did the conversion is a man of few words but when it comes to Engcon's or Conversions he'd be hard to beat!
I must mention Oliver their salesman who has been nothing short of fantastic throughout, literally been with me all the way and I won't forget that in the future.
You would be amazed at the reactions I've had from other manufacturers/dealers/salesmen when you tell them what you want, even in these tough times they never call you back or take you serious.

I will definately get it this week, as I've been waiting for a standard 8 tonner to arrive in the dealers yard for a comparison photo shoot.
The main problem I have is that I have already got work for it on a very sensitive site but I need a Selector grab, in addition I have also got an extremely important demo that specifically needs a Flail Mower.
The grab will definately be purchased from Engcon, as cheaper alternatives are just too heavy to consider. (Some are 200kg heavier!)
The mower I'm looking at is an Osma, it looks the part on paper but I can find little info on them.

The opportunity is too good to miss though, so the mower will be a straightforward gamble!
:eek:

How's things with you Rob? as I've not seen you on here lately.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Eddiebackblade;18766........... it's helping to open a few doors that I'd always thought were reserved for the chosen few.

LMFAO, I think you just graduated to the " chosen few " with that piece of kit :notworthy

I must mention Oliver their salesman who has been nothing short of fantastic throughout,

It was Oliver I was talking to, he rang for a chat and to give me the full speel on what you had spec'ed. Sort of blew my mind to say the least. Needless to say I was straight on here when I got home to take a peek.
He said you had given him the heads up about HEF and he had had a look and was impressed. I warned him that its addictive :D
He made me the offer of building my new Geith Q hitch into the base of a tilty but I would rather wait and have a proper set up. As you are probably aware the jury is still out on whether certain hitches will or will not meet the new spec's that are being drawn up.

even in these tough times they never call you back or take you serious.

I find that a lot with people, its criminal the way that some folk operate. If we ran a business the way many of them do we wouldn't have a business, but boy are you going to be having the last laugh on all the jerks who didnt take you for real :D

I have a mate who has a flail he uses on his duck. I know nothing about it other than it eats trees :rolleyes: but I will tap him up for info on Monday.

How's things with you Rob? as I've not seen you on here lately.

I am very well thanks and a darn sight happier now I have finally got some money coming in. Been working ( not excessive hours but at least working ) but couldn't get paid :Banghead
Being a joint venture nobody had thought about a joint bank account so that the likes of myself could be paid :idontgetit but its sorted now.

Still on the M1 at Toddington and actually started doing something constructive ( pardon the pun ) but still only temporary works.
Things looking good though.

The problem is being away all week with no internet then canal on Sunday :beatsme

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
great pictures of a nice set up eddie ,any chance of some video of it in action :cool2
i would say this man has the multi tasking bit of to a tee :D

:eek: man that is IMPRESSIVE :notworthy

great find Graham, thanks for posting.

BigIron25

Im loving the way you have this set up! It looks pretty wicked with tracks winch and engcon set up. what doesnt that machine do? make coffee? :)

Eddiebackblade

I've had to wait a while for another 8 tonner to be delivered so I could get a comparison shot.
Had a little play in the yard and now I just can't wait to get it home.
Think these pics will add some scale to the work done.

Attachments

• DSC01609.jpg
    DSC01609.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 1,682
  • DSC01606.jpg
    DSC01606.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,660
  • DSC01608.jpg
    DSC01608.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,670
  • DSC01610.jpg
    DSC01610.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,655
  • DSC01611.jpg
    DSC01611.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,703

Eddiebackblade

I'd just like to add these last four pics as they show how much the frame has been widened and the extra rollers/clearance added.

Attachments

• DSC01614.jpg
    DSC01614.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,678
  • DSC01613.jpg
    DSC01613.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,682
  • DSC01616.jpg
    DSC01616.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 1,656
  • DSC01615.jpg
    DSC01615.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,692

Eddiebackblade

The Jury is still out on it's actual soft ground ability, as a reasonable amount of weight has been added with the winch,Engcon,pads and blade extensions.
However the contact area has been doubled and we certainly have not added another 8.5 tonne so it should be a fair bit better than standard.
As for work,I have 2 clearance jobs on very sensitive sites already, but I am working towards a site demonstration for most of the relevant agencys in environmental and conservation work.
This may give me time and also a good friend who doesn't know yet! to get to grips with it all.
The Demo is on the 28th November on a boggy moorland site, whiich will involve re-profiling diitches and creating features to encourage birds.
In addition to this I have purchased the Osma Flail Mower and this will be shown cutting clearings in rushes without the need to keep driving around and turning.
The main thing is iinterest is very high, and unfortunately I feel I must resist the opportunity to actually be in the seat instead be there to explain all the features and benefits and do a bit of networking.
I hope my mate will be up for the challenge and not get stage fright! :eek:

nedly05

Thats some machine eddie, the fab work on it is excellent, it looks factory! How long did it take to get completed?Will you work it by the hour, or do bid work? Sweet machine for sure!!!

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
In addition to this I have purchased the Osma Flail Mower and this will be shown cutting clearings in rushes ........:

Sorry Eddie I am too late with this, my mates is a Berti shredder
http://www.bertima.it/en/prod_agricole.html
Christ knows which model but it will eat up to 24" if you use it gently. Probably much more grunt than you'll need but you have the link now for future ref if you need it.

Good luck with what you have gone with.

.........The main thing is interest is very high,.... unfortunately I feel I must resist the opportunity to actually be in the seat :

:beatsme are you sure your not bottling it :D

I hope my mate will be up for the challenge and not get stage fright! :eek:

No problem at all Eddie I just wish you had given me a bit more warning :D

Oh! :eek:ops its another mate,.................I just thought ..................... :crying
no, no, its alright, really its ok. :bash :Banghead :guns

Well there will be NO EXCUSE for a lack of pictures.

GOOD LUCK. :beerchug

Eddiebackblade

Thanks for the link Rob on the flail, the Berti is a name that keeps appearing but nothing seems to be a clear leader in the Flail Mower stakes so I just went with the Osma as it can be specced/supplied and set up by JCC who have proved to be most knowledgeable in this sort of field.

As for inviting you to be operator for the Demo, if you lived closer you could get the gig for me anyday.
Your skill at the controls , knowledge of the work and attitude are just what is required:thumbsup
As would be a good bit of time in a large field just the same as me with a good pile of muck to hide behind, to get used to the Engcon!!

Honestly I thought I was fair handy with a tilt bucket, but this thing will tie you up in knots:Banghead:beatsme:Banghead:beatsme

Then you find the grab will open and close at the same time as you tilt and rotate!!!:eek::beatsme:pointhead

I had a very intelligent design engineer from the bucket suppliers viewing the set up to iron out a few issues, and he asked 'do they send you on a course to operate the Tiltrotator'. I answered his question by dragging him into the seat and showing him the basics, then said the rest is up to your imagination!:D

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
Hi Eddie
I have been meaning to reply to this thread, but have been waiting to take time to reply right:drinkup

First of the Kubota turned out great!! it really looks the part and very versatile! I think you have really found whole new market for your self!
The conversion really does look factory finish, they seem to be very professional and obviously well used to doing this kind of work. I have seen there web site and some of the other conversions they have done!

Theres no doubt you went all out on this kit and I hope you find work for this outfit, although i cant see it sitting idle for to many days once word gets out about it! Especially with the mower attachment! I know that was a big investment to but with the amount of conservation work now adays it shoud pay of!

What made you go for the Kubota? any particularly reason?
I ran one once taking a ram or something of another machine, seem like smooth machine.
what was the main reason for the size, transport reasons??

How are you getting on to the engcon? another very usefull piece of equipment, can you use the mower with it?

Anyway Hope it all works out, you obviously invested alot of money and time in this proect, look forward to more pictures of it in action!

CPS

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
if you lived closer you could get the gig for me anyday.

Thanks, I consider that praise indeed. :drinkup

Honestly I thought I was fair handy with a tilt bucket, but this thing will tie you up in knots:

I dont doubt that for a second. You know as well as I how versatile a tilt bucket can be and what a waste of time it is in the hands of an unintrested, even experienced operator.

'do they send you on a course to operate the Tiltrotator'. I answered his question by dragging him into the seat and showing him the basics, then said the rest is up to your imagination!:D

imagination seems to be the secret to getting the best out of an Engcon.

I really wish you the very best of luck with your new venture. As I stated in a previous post, you've now graduated to the elite few. :woohoo

d4c24a

imagination

Thanks, I consider that praise indeed. :drinkup

I dont doubt that for a second. You know as well as I how versatile a tilt bucket can be and what a waste of time it is in the hands of an unintrested, even experienced operator.

imagination seems to be the secret to getting the best out of an Engcon.

I really wish you the very best of luck with your new venture. As I stated in a previous post, you've now graduated to the elite few. :woohoo

i would like to try one on the utility side of work ,as i can see how much of an effective tool it would be ,more so on the larger diameter mains in the congested grounds of our towns and city's :drinkup
graham

Eddiebackblade

Thanks for all the kind words and support from you all it has been much appreciated and somewhat comforting that others in Industry can see the potential of such a machine. Thanks Again:thumbsup:beerchug

I wondered where you had been hiding CPS, and you are the first to question why I went with the Kubota?

You are spot on that Transport width was a factor and I had already decided that a unit exactly on the legal limit without any additional hassle was the way forward.
A good bid on the Hitachi Zaxis160 confirmed that a new 8 tonne unit with warranty could be fairly cost effective against converting a larger secondhand unit. It is just the economy of scale that track pads are smalller, Engcon is 2 sizes smaller etc that can really add up overall.

Why actually Kubota?
A few factors really, I have used most of their mini excavator range and always liked their build quality, performance, reliability and fuel economy.
However I also like the Hitachi 8 tonner and the new CAT 307d would be on any shortlist along with the Volvo.
It really came down to the build of the Kubota and the fact that there is plenty of metal in them where it counts. JCB for example use a 45mm pin throughout their machine where Kubota is 60mm, and since having the frame cut up by JCC they confirmed it was built as strong as a 140 Volvo with 10mm plate.

Another factor was warranty, and a positive meeting with Kubota confirmed my 3 year warranty will still be in place despite the mods with the exception of travel motors (never expected them to be covered anyway) which is a useful back up.

Cost believe it or not was not any influence, once the decision was made to switch from the Zaxis 160 conversion to a brand new 8 tonner then the main factor has been getting it just right as I've got to drive it and the simple aim to create a 'wow' factor to open a few doors. The only thing I desperately wanted but had to cut on cost grounds was the two-piece boom version and this was absolutely ridiculous despite all of Kubota UK's best efforts.

Lastly and probably most importantly, the fact they took me serious!
The treatment I have received from John Barnfield at BTE plant sales from an initial conversation at the Kubota Live event has been outstanding.
Instead of the usual 'we'll get back to you rubbish' he had a meeting in their yard stood around a new 8 tonner with a technical representitive from Kubota arranged straight away.
Since then he has been a major factor in the successfull completion of this project and I shall be writing to Kubota UK personally to make them fully aware of his contribution.

I have already got a little idea for a Super LGP version to complement this one!:idea

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Eddie I do hope that the time,effort,and expense you have put into this excellent piece of equipment will be repaid.It was nice to see that kubota is supporting you fully with the warranty and if we are buying again we will consider them on your experience.
Best of luck to you and well wear.
Stock

ZTS Plant

Wow Eddie what an amazing bit of kit!!!!! :notworthy
I haven't been in touch with this web site for a while, but was constantly reminded by Oliver at JCC about a thread on your machine, so I decided to go in search.
I just sold my JZ70 and as soon as the machine left the yard the phone started ringing!! Always the way eh?!:beatsme
I kept the Engcon EC10 of the machine and now looking to replace it, not sure what to go for but your Kubota has left me scratching my head!! I love the JCB machine's but they seem to be unable to offer me the proportional controls as a factory fit option, did Kubota offer you this?
How is the machine going? what about the LGP? It's another thing Oliver is trying to sell me!!!!!!!
How are you getting the hang of the Engcon? It takes a bit of getting used to! but worth it! I couldn't have a machine without one now.:)
Congrats again on taking the leap of faith, don't forget the pictures with a dirty bucket!