• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Skidders- Tracks ot Tires, Lines or Grapples- Lets see what you've got!

Caterpillar941b

Occupation
Logger
Dad and I's swinger parked at our old mill(out of it now).Got it from Cascade Trader in 2004.

i recognize the blue kw in the background. the old skidder looks to be in good shape. is any of this stuff for sale now or is the new owner just leaving it sit?

DerelictTexture

Occupation
Trying tto figure out what to do when I grow up
Wow...that's a first for me. Never seen that set-up before. Was it any better or worse than FMC style or all rubber?

Mike P

Caterpillar941b

Occupation
Logger
Wow...that's a first for me. Never seen that set-up before. Was it any better or worse than FMC style or all rubber?

Mike P

the things went fairly well and were better riding than the fmcs but the u/c was costly. this was sold to them back in 1990 somthin so i was just a young lad when it was around

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
caterpillar941b, that thing is really cool, i would love to see this thing work! i have pictures of this thing that i found googling around, looking for "track skidders", i have to wonder if this would catch on now with the price and availability of cat 527's the way they are.. the production per turn i would think would be 2x's that of the 527 for what a guy could presume would be about the same cost per hour, i think it would fit in the niche of clearcut to steep for wheels, to flat for yarder, to long for shoveling say 400 ft+ average skid? what do others think?............................theironoracle

Caterpillar941b

Occupation
Logger
caterpillar941b, that thing is really cool, i would love to see this thing work! i have pictures of this thing that i found googling around, looking for "track skidders", i have to wonder if this would catch on now with the price and availability of cat 527's the way they are.. the production per turn i would think would be 2x's that of the 527 for what a guy could presume would be about the same cost per hour, i think it would fit in the niche of clearcut to steep for wheels, to flat for yarder, to long for shoveling say 400 ft+ average skid? what do others think?............................theironoracle

if they coulod make the track system last as good as the 527s i think they would be reall good machines for steep terrain as well as muddy ground. i have some pics of a 527 i will throw up to

SBeange

Hi SBeange: It seems to me you must have first hand knowledge of the Can-Car factory and the Tree Farmer skidder made at Thunder Bay. Care to share?

Brian

Brian,

I was exposed for many years to timber harvesting during my time with our Provincial Gov’t and my father-in-law worked at the Can-Car factory during the period Tree Farmer’s were made here.

During my field work on logging operations I developed a keen interest in all things mechanical but especially skidders. And while Timberjack was the most common Tree Farmer’s were of particular interest.

Having pulled together a history of International Harvester Trucks 1950-75 and Cockshutt Tractors I then started on Can-Car Tree Farmer Skidders. I was very surprised at the pictures and other info on the webb for TF skidders. My biggest problem is stopping as something new is always cropping up. And just when I think I may have things worked out a curve ball comes zooming in from left field.

Scott

fitzpatrick

Hi SBEANGE:

I figured you had some inside info somehow about the Tree Farmer skidders. Is there there any activity at the Can-Car factory these days?

When I was 16 I learned to fly out of SS Marie in a Fleet Canuck 80 on floats. I heard a rumor the Canucks were built at the Can-Car factory back in the late 1940's. Is there any truth to this?

I am slowly transferring old photos to disc and have a few of the Tree Farmer C-7 model we used to swing logs to the beach on a show just out of Vancouver. I'll send you a pic or two when I can. I think Derelict Texture has a few C-7 pics of retired C-7 skidders here on the coast. Check out his photos in this Forum. Brian

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
Here's somebody's grapple skidder creation we found this summer...

Attachments

• DSC00877 (Small).JPG
    DSC00877 (Small).JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 1,790
  • DSC00878 (Small).JPG
    DSC00878 (Small).JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 1,760
  • DSC00879 (Small).JPG
    DSC00879 (Small).JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 1,801
  • DSC00880 (Small).JPG
    DSC00880 (Small).JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 1,781

fitzpatrick

Geez! Considering all the time, $ and hassle it took to create that screwed up grapple idea, wouldn't it have been easier to just use chokers!

Well, I can't say every idea I ever had was a good one. I'm sure whoever made this may have been quite proud of it. One can only hope.

Check out the brush/land clearing forks someone welded to the blade. Kind of an all purpose machine.

SBeange

Brian,

Can-Car no longer exists. The factory was taken over by Bombardier and now they manufacture rapid transit cars - subways and trains - for customers all over Canada and the US.

Fleet Canada 80 aircraft were not built at Can-Car although Hawker Hurricanes and Douglas dive bombers were during the war.

Appreciate any pictures you can provide.

Thanks,
Scott

fitzpatrick

Hi SBEANGE:

Pleased to hear the factory is busy and providing local jobs. We have the right to work but work is not a right. The devil is in the details.

I will send pics when I get them but may have to get my chum Derelict Texture to insert them. I've tried but my pics are too big for the system. I have had good help on this matter but I have bad luck with electric stuff of all types. On occaission I have put out the lights just by walking into a room. I have to watch football and hockey alone.

Most of my pics are Clark and FMC skidders. When I had my first skidder in 1960 or so, a C-5 at SS Marie I didn't get many pics but have a few. Brian

DerelictTexture

Occupation
Trying tto figure out what to do when I grow up
Here is a video ( no sound ) of several different models of the LeToureau diesel/electric log skidders. Pretty cool machines for their day. Their used to be one or two of them at Vic Walters property in Porpoise Bay, parked there for years. I think that at least one of them was taken to someones collection of old logging gear.

[video=vimeo;35343215]http://vimeo.com/35343215[/video]

mike 360*

Cracking pair of Countys there Mike......in their typical environment..........worth a bit as collectors machines now

lots of countys used here in herefordshire over the years in forestry operations that ive seen mate! heres some more pics!

004.jpg

005.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

025.jpg

0232.jpg

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
great machines, looks like the woods do around here with just a skiff of snow..................theironoracle