1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

See What We Have To Deal With In California

Discussion in 'In the Office' started by Birken Vogt, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Birken Vogt

Birken Vogt Charter Member

Such helpful people coming to visit every one of us.

Of course the letter from the nameless bureaucracy has no name of author or responsible person at the top, nor is it signed by anybody.

cdtfa letter2.jpg

2. hosspuller

hosspuller Senior Member

"...help make our tax system fair" Fair ?? Will they make Everybody pay something ?? There's too many people that don't pay anything ...

CM1995, DMiller, Ronsii and 2 others like this.
  3. crane operator

crane operator Senior Member

They are just here to help.......

DMiller, Graham1 and td25c like this.
  4. Crummy

Crummy Senior Member

Good grief. They going to open Manznar again as a 're-education' camp for non-compliant? "Your papers are not in order...."
    Washington State is not far behind or a little ahead. I just got "Notice 1 of 5" for the new mandatory-for-all-employers-and-sole-proprietorships paid family & medical leave BS starting Jan 1. I'm closing my WA business presence this month and running outlaw until I get an Idaho address.
    Hopefully my CA house closes next week & I can get the place here gone and get out of this madness.

aighead, DMiller and RZucker like this.
  5. Birken Vogt

I was born here. Back when it was reasonable.

It doesn't seem like running away is the answer. They will just follow you and put the screws to you wherever you go.

The back story behind this is that the old BoE prior to the CDTFA was run by directly elected officials. So business owners had somebody to call and read the riot act if there was something being done against them. Some scandal/ruling came down and stripped these officials of most of their power. So now it seems to have fallen into the hands of a bureaucracy accountable to no one. And a new acronym that is hard to remember, say, and type.

It has been less than a year and this is already coming down. Interesting times.

6. Tones

Tones Senior Member

land clearing contractor
    Just been reading on another site about a farmer who has be threatened with jail time for cultivating his land in Ca. The state claim he's breaching the Clean Water Act. Looks like the only sure things there is death(by starvation) an taxes.

DMiller likes this.
  7. excavator

excavator Senior Member

I also saw an article this week that said something like beginning in 2019 all new houses built in California must have solar power installed?

8. Wes J

Wes J Senior Member

What's the outrage here?

This is tax law that is applicable to any business in any state. I'm required to have a business license, which is basically just a way for the jack booted thugs to make sure I am collecting the appropriate taxes and passing them on to the man. o_O

9. Birken Vogt

See the first paragraph, last few sentences.

FWIW I run everything on the up-and-up because I know this sort of thing happens. No need to fight against The Man.

It's just the fact that the politicians think they have the authority and mandate to appoint these people, who will last long after they are voted out of office....

"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people, and eat out their substance."

StanRUS, DMiller and td25c like this.
  10. td25c

td25c Senior Member

Ron said it best …..

11. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    I suppose the thing about that notice that would give me a little heart burn is the fact that some one has been hired and trained at taxpayer expense to drive in a state owned vehicle, again at taxpayer expense, around the state checking business compliance on taxes when it was never needed previously. So how many more state employees are they going to hire for this and how are they going to monitor their performance? How are the new supervisors needed to manage these new employees going to monitor them and where are those supervisors going to be working from? The outrage isn't the notice, it's the huge new bureaucracy that has to be created along with all the pay and benefits packages that go along with it.

aighead, CM1995, DMiller and 7 others like this.
  12. Birken Vogt

I was going to write that they must think they will shake out more money by doing this than it will cost them to implement it. But then, remember, this is a state run by you know who and economic considerations may never enter their minds.

In any case, once they get done shaking out the mom and pops who are not in compliance in a year or two, then what will this army of people they have hired have to do with their time?

DMiller likes this.
  13. willie59

willie59 Super Moderator

Service Manager
    Damn I was already thinking this very thing and I ran across your post, you beat me to it. Add this to a state that already has high taxation to pay for govt operations of the state. Well, duh! It sure seems like the snake is eating its tail in Caleeforneeeuh.

14. AzIron

AzIron Senior Member

The really sad part is there are lots of people leaving ca to other places(like az) because the cost of living is so high and they are bringing the insanity with them I have seen a lot of things change here that are not for the better and 6 years ago it wouldn't have happened

Sorry end rant

15. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    It happening in Washington State too!

DMiller, Crummy and RZucker like this.
  16. 544D10

544D10 Well-Known Member

Lucas & Mercier Construction Co.
    If you want to make California taxes fair leave the businesses alone and go after the MILLIONS of workers paid in cash with fake social security numbers.

Spud_Monkey, StanRUS and DMiller like this.
  17. Hobbytime

Hobbytime Senior Member

but those are the democrap voters that keep the corrupt politicians in office...

aighead likes this.
  18. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    Why do I suspect the typical result will be the last sentence in the fourth paragraph as to an Audit being referred, and NEVER BTW in the positive for the Business Owner.

aighead likes this.
  19. Crummy

Crummy Senior Member

Maybe I should declare my building a "Sanctuary Shop" and being an "Undocumented Business Owner"
    What could possibly go wrong with that idea?

Spud_Monkey, StanRUS, AzIron and 2 others like this.
  20. Tones

Tones Senior Member

land clearing contractor
    Turn it into a tax haven and not a tax heaven:D

DMiller likes this.