• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Section for komatsu d20,21 and similar grey market dozers

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
Komastu

Well guys,

Try as I might, I can't resize the photo to meet the 640 x 640 requirements.
It (The dozer) should be in within the week (with sweeps installed) and then I can take some photos, hopefully resize them and get them posted so you all can whoop and hollar.
I am having a hard time getting the source for a manual. Any manual. I ordered one from Manuals.US two weeks ago, but nothing has arrived and I can't get them to respond to any of my emails.
So...I am still looking for manuals and cross-references for filters. Any help out there?

WD
My experience for manuals is, if you cant find them on Ebay, call the Komastu dealer. I have a good relation with my Cat and Komastu dealer, and they both may offer you after market parts, if not ask about them, they are usually cheaper. I ordered a set of manuals from the dealer for my excavator, cheaper than I could have gotten them on Ebay.
Grey market Cat.s, I have a 320L and the A/C went out, boy did I have trouble getting the correct part, until I went to my Cat dealer and just luckily I found one of the old timers that uses books along with the computer. He sold me the parts manual for the machine, the writting was in Japanese, but the part numbers are in english, just look at the picture and get the number.
Good forum

wdnewman

Occupation
Retired
Help! Brake adjustment for D21-7.

Guys,
Trying to adjust the brakes on my 1993 D21-7. Have done all the steps in the manual: removing rear panel, removing the two adjustment nut covers. THEN the problem starts! The manual says to "tighten adjustment nuts to torque of 4 kgm until the lining contacts the drum. Then, turn adjustment nuts in reverse directions for four rotations". It DOES NOT say to turn clockwise or counter-clockwise, but here is the problem. Those darn adjustment nuts won't move at all, in either direction even with a cheater bar. It is like they were frozen shut or something, but the manual offers no advice as to the problem. My dozer does have the joystick controls, and this may be the problem somehow. The parking brake is off. It is sitting on level ground, out of gear. Does anybody out there have any info about this??:beatsme

Thanks,

WD

kc5gxc

Occupation
Retired
Hey WD
I adjusted mine, and I think they were tight also.....but I was able to adjust them.......I don't know if you can put heat on those nuts or not.....that would probably loosten 'em up, but may set machine on fire !!! Oil and trash may be in the bottom of area.
Can't remember if I heated mine up or not.....a little propane torch would do it, if safe.
Good Luck
Pete

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums Krackerjack9! :drinkup

wdnewman

Occupation
Retired
Hey WD
I adjusted mine, and I think they were tight also.....but I was able to adjust them.......I don't know if you can put heat on those nuts or not.....that would probably loosten 'em up, but may set machine on fire !!! Oil and trash may be in the bottom of area.
Can't remember if I heated mine up or not.....a little propane torch would do it, if safe.
Good Luck
Pete

Pete, These adjustment nuts wouldn't take heat, because they seem to be several inches long and go down into the brake area. I see no corrosion (sp?) at all. I think I am overlooking something here.

Wulf

The manual says to "tighten adjustment nuts to torque of 4 kgm until the lining contacts the drum. Then, turn adjustment nuts in reverse directions for four rotations"

Normal procedure is that you tighten the adjuster clockwise until the brake bands are touching the drums. Bear in mind that 4 kgm does not require a lot of effort.

To provide the brake clearance you have to turn the adjusters counterclockwise. On the bigger dozers its back 4 flats (close to one full turn) so I wonder if this is a mistake in the book?

Its very strange that the adjusters will not turn and I wonder if you need to have the engine running to release the brakes fully? but obviously have the blade in the ground when you try this

R Leo

Normal procedure is that you tighten the adjuster clockwise until the brake bands are touching the drums. Bear in mind that 4 kgm does not require a lot of effort.

To provide the brake clearance you have to turn the adjusters counterclockwise. On the bigger dozers its back 4 flats (close to one full turn) so I wonder if this is a mistake in the book?

I wondered about that too...my D20 book says back off four full turns after tightening to 4kgf. Seemed like a lot but, my brakes work fine now.

FWIW, 4kgm = ~29 ft/lbs

wdnewman

Occupation
Retired
Brake Adjustment

I wondered about that too...my D20 book says back off four full turns after tightening to 4kgf. Seemed like a lot but, my brakes work fine now.

FWIW, 4kgm = ~29 ft/lbs

I will try this with engine running. Heck, I'll try anything. My manual says to back off for "four rotations", but since I can't get any movement at all in either direction, I guess thats a moot point. It seems strange that the manual doesn't mention anything about special circumstances, but I guess the -7 model with joystick isn't exactly the usual D21. I'll let you know back what happens.

WD

wdnewman

Occupation
Retired
Brake Adjustment solved.

Well, success at last. With the joystick control (and possibly the model21 as well), when you shift the joystick to neutral the brakes are applied automatically. SO... to adjust the brakes the shifter has to be put in forward or reverse to unlock the brakes. Best not to do this with the engine running (unless you want to trot along behind to do the adjustment). This is not mentioned anywhere I can find, but file it away for future reference.

WD:)

Krackerjack9

Occupation
working in Iraq right now
Well I been doing some research on this and that. Got a quote on a New D21-A7 and holey moley Batman :eek: :eek: way to much for me.
Gave the place up in Sulphur Springs a call and the lady there was very nice and pretty informative on this and that. Now I am leaning towards getting a D31A now:Banghead :beatsme :Banghead what to do?? She mentioned that they are going to be recieving several more dozers around the end of the year and that they go to these auctions every 3 months so there should be plenty more coming in if you missed out on one. Now the reason I was going to go with the smaller dozer was weight issue but she mentioned that several customers haul these out of there with pickup trucks yes they have them on a gooseneck dual axle trailer but I wonder if this gets you in a grey area with the DOT guys???

R Leo

Gave the place up in Sulphur Springs a call and the lady there was very nice and pretty informative on this and that.

PM me. I have some information you might like to have about an outfit in Sulphur Springs.

Last edited:

wdnewman

Occupation
Retired
To Krackerjack9 about your Dozer.

Whoa boy! No such thing as a "new D21-7". They are all D21-8's for the last two years or so. You are absolutely right in that new ones are way, way too much. I was quoted over $50,000 eight months ago on one. No way. You need to be looking at a mid-ninetys D21-7 with +/- 2000 hours, newly replaced undercarriage, joy stick controls, six way blade and American installed ROPS (with sweeps if you are going under lots of trees). This should cost you less than twenty grand. Machine Trader list lots of prices and you can find some good machines and lots and lots of junk. Be sure to get one without the silly umbrella shade and some real roll over protection. Remember a deal too good to be true always is. I bought mine at Artec Equipment in Alabama, but wherever you buy always go to the dealer and try it out. But FIRST, learn all you can about the dozer. This forum is a great start. You can check out a picture of mine that I posted sometime last June or July on page 7.
About the D31. Sometimes I wish I had more pushing power when the big trees show up, but then I think about how much more expensive the '31 is to maintain and run, and I really like how I can get into some really tight working spaces with mine. Hauling could be a big factor with you. I would haul mine with a gooseneck and a diesel F250, but no way would I haul a D31 that way. I do not speak from experience here as I don't need to move mine around. Keep us posted on your progress.:usa

Last edited:

Krackerjack9

Occupation
yeah I was adding up the numbers, dozer 16500, trailer 5000, truck 6000. that puts you over 26,000lbs, I have a CDL which is no problem but most 2500/3500 series trucks from 04 and up they can pull the weight, but your over the gross weight by a pretty good margin. The new Chev 2500HD series can go as high as 24,000lbs and from what I have been hearing on some of the truck forums the wieght is not a issue as long as you dont do something stupid. Its the total wieght what will get you in trouble with the DOT guy or your local state trooper. But I am going to be on mainly on FM and SR and county roads so I could roll the dice, I dont think it will be issue but then this means I got buy me a new truck :D :rolleyes: Now if I can only decide on the color of truck:beatsme . If I got one job with it every 2 months that took me 2 or 3 days then that be fine with me. Once one has worked over here you soon realize that there are so many more important things to do beside work and work and work

Attachments

• Picture 713.jpg
    Picture 713.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 2,176

Krackerjack9

Occupation
convert Rubber tracks back to steel tracks

There are some new D21's for sale but they have the rubber tracks, is it possible to switch them out for steel tracks?? Or is the whole set up totally different??

mikek

Been taming our mountain with the D21, this little dozer has impressed the heck out of me pushing over trees and moving dirt. Removing stumps with our old Case backhoe(1966 model 440) would require re-positioning the machine several times and take FOREVER to get 1 done.
With the dozer I can make a cut on the backside then come around and roll the stump over, up and out of the ground in a matter of minutes!!

I'm planning to do a maintenance day over the Christmas/NewYears holidays, and have a couple or 3 questions maybe someone here has an answer for:

1) what is the factory spec. on intake and exhaust valve clearance?

2) my leftside steering lever comes back much further than the rightside lever, is this a simple brake adjustment? specs?

3) the glow plugs are not heating, nor is my 'saltshaker' glowing when I turn the key CCW. Anybody have a wiring diagram that is scan-able or email-able for a 1985 D21A-5.

still watching ebay for a manual, there is a guys selling CD manuals for -7 & -8 models, sez the -5 and -6 is 'similar'.......

Thanks,
MikeK

R Leo

Been taming our mountain with the D21, this little dozer has impressed the heck out of me pushing over trees and moving dirt. Removing stumps with our old Case backhoe(1966 model 440) would require re-positioning the machine several times and take FOREVER to get 1 done.
With the dozer I can make a cut on the backside then come around and roll the stump over, up and out of the ground in a matter of minutes!!

I'm planning to do a maintenance day over the Christmas/NewYears holidays, and have a couple or 3 questions maybe someone here has an answer for:

1) what is the factory spec. on intake and exhaust valve clearance?

2) my leftside steering lever comes back much further than the rightside lever, is this a simple brake adjustment? specs?

3) the glow plugs are not heating, nor is my 'saltshaker' glowing when I turn the key CCW. Anybody have a wiring diagram that is scan-able or email-able for a 1985 D21A-5.

still watching ebay for a manual, there is a guys selling CD manuals for -7 & -8 models, sez the -5 and -6 is 'similar'.......

Thanks,
MikeK

Mike,
I have a -6 but, I'll bring my manuals in this Friday and post this info for you. Can't imagine it being much different.

R

Last edited:

Doodlesock

Hey R Leo

Hey guys I'm not trying to hijack this thread but I can't figure out how to send a PM or I don't have access to that feature. Anyway........
I've read the thread you started about your new leaf that you recently turned over and have lots of questions I'd like to ask you.
I have also looked at the web page from the place in Sulphur Springs and would like to ask you about that as well.
If you are willing to let me pick your brain could you send your email address to me at: tnjgibson@yahoo.com