• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Section for komatsu d20,21 and similar grey market dozers

oldhousehugger

Reman starter question

Komatsu D20 PL 6A
Serial # 60357

Engine model # 4D95S

Starter Nikko
# 600-813-3170
serial # 023000-0100
24V
2.8 KW
7D23

Norestart relay # 025000-6970
24V
Nikko

What it's doing is it will barely turn her over 1 revolution and then it kicks out and just revs the starter motor. Ring gear is OK. Starter drive gear appears to have little wear. Generally she will start after a couple of tries and it's a cinch I'll never over heat it. I pulled it apart and cleaned up the commutator. The brushes and springs looked good. I relubricated it before reassembling it, but it works no differently. The starter motor drive gear turns very freely with no drag. Somebody told me that indicates the bendix clutch is shot.

I even 86’d the norestart relay and put in a 24 volt starter switch relay in its place. Ironically it works no better and no worse than it did before I started trying to fix it. What is the Hippocratic Oath?

I will prescribe regimens for the good of my patients according to my ability and my judgment and never do harm to anyone. (or machine)

Ideas?
John

Sal.Monella

Occupation
Computer Systems Development
My D21 got burned over!

Firefighting in Central Texas can be a pain. I've got a D21 that was burned over during the Wilderness Ridge fire back in February of this year. There was so many other pieces of equipment damaged or destroyed during this fire that I'm just now getting around to the dozer. I'll post pictures when I can. What I need more than anything else is advice. I'm having to decide whether or not this machine can be saved and if so, is there a good source of used parts? Horrible way for this great little dozer to die. If you're curious about the fire itself, here is a link. http://txforestservice.tamu.edu/uploadedFiles/FRP/2WildernessRidgeCaseStudy.pdf Thanks in advance to all y'all who take the time to help others.

Salvador Monella (SASS Handle)

rangerfreak

im new to dozers and i have a small problem with my d20a-5.the problem is there is a leak at a case that is to the inside of the track on the back of the dozer,there is also a plug that i can fit a socket wrench in and i was wondering if this is where i fill it at and what kind of fluid can i use.also how much do i fill it

thanks for your time and have a nice day

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner-Equipment & Parts Sales
Where is the leak? By the sprocket? That takes 30W engine oil. I've heard people putting 80/90 in it too but the book says 30W. Fill it up to the top plug that is facing away from the machine.

Glock

It looks like the cab has to come off. Too much stuff in the way really. BUT you can try it with it on and maybe it would just take a lot longer to do but would be do-able. :) Keep us posted.

Nice looking machine.

Hi Darin,
Thanks for taking call on Sunday. After I removed inspection plug from underneath and drained about 1 qt oil on left side, right side was dry, the clutches slowly began to engage again. I now understand the chattering noise that was developing during this process of the left track not pulling, clutches slipping do to oil. As clutches began to dry the chattering developed again but track was pulling and eventually ceased making noise. I will call you soon for repair manual and advise of which oil level drops.
Thanks again for your support.

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
Check your final drive oil as well just becaue of the chattering noise. To get a real good look it's not a bad idea to just change the oil out that way you can see condition of oil.

Darin

rangerfreak

does my komatsu d21a-5 have the 4D95S engine in it,i was just wondering because its been burning oil and am guessing it might need a rebuild kit or something like similar.
thank you for your time and support and have a happy holiday

Sal.Monella

Occupation
Computer Systems Development
Burned over D20A-6

Will be able to tell a bit better when we see pics.

Darin

I've got photos on the way. It believe it looks worse than it is. It won't be cheap, but we've only $1200.00 invested in it. I'm going to make the call on whether or not I can get it to start. The oil in the pan looks fine. anybody got wiring schematics and maybe a wiring diagram for this wee beastie?

What I know I'm going to have to replace:

All the hoses
radiator
alternator
fuel lines
fuel cap
hydraulic tank cap
blade control seals
instrumentation
wiring
seat and seat deck
batts

Most of that stuff I can do with parts I can pick up at A&B Automotive if I had wiring diagrams / schematics.

Once I hear the engine run I'll go from there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if you know of any used parts sources that would be fantastic.

Mercy Buckets y'all and have a Very Merry Christmas.

Scott
Captain Hwy 71 Station
Heart of the Pines VFD
Smithville TX

rangerfreak

does my komatsu d21a-5 have the 4D95S engine in it,i was just wondering because its been burning oil and am guessing it might need a rebuild kit or something like similar.
thank you for your time and support and have a happy holiday

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
It should say right on the engine tag plate. But yours is a 4D94.

Darin