• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Section for komatsu d20,21 and similar grey market dozers

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner-Equipment & Parts Sales
Oh I wasn't sure on that weld area. :) It looks like you do nice work though. It sure is nice to work in a clean area. Its a smelly dusting oily crapy mess when first working on steering clutches thats for sure.

Take care and thanks again for all the pics and info.

JimInOz

Darin,
You are right...that weld has been done after machine was built.
Looks like somebody has replaced the angled plate...the weld is just a join weld from 2 joined plates.
I wonder if someone was trying to do a steering repair & removed the original plate to get more room to move ??

The Mitsubishis seem to have their own unique smell in the steering cases.
I usually put on a nose mask when cleaning this area.It can get smelly & dusty.

Jim

KTBAUGH

Site Sponsor
Hello everyone,
just joined this forum today because i see that everyone's having questions about the mitsubishi and komatsu dozers. We are a heavy equipment and parts sales company in east texas. We primarily sell parts for the smaller dozers but we can get parts for just about anything with our 2 parts locator systems. Send us a message if you have any questions or need parts for your equipment.

Thank you,

Kent Baugh Equipment

Last edited by a moderator:

Sal.Monella

Occupation
Computer Systems Development
Discovery on burned over D20A-6 and a stupid question.

After the fire I discovered the following. I got off very easy. Radiator is good as is the oil cooler. Starter is fine but the solenoid is toast. Fuel injection system is fine but the alternator and radiator fan are damaged beyond repair. I have to replace all the instrument cluster. (no biggie there. I've made harnesses for electric vehicles before) Throttle cable is bad but not because of the fire. Jury is still out on the hydraulic pump. All the plugs, dipsticks etc are fine. I guess I'll be sending Mr Baugh more of our money. (Thanks by the way to the KTBaugh folks. Very nice, and extremely helpful)

Now for the stupid question. What is that little parasitic relay, electronics module that's wedged between the starter and the solenoid? It's burned to a crisp. Was it some type of glow plug timer/relay? It's not on any of my schematics.

Once again I'm working on the photos. (I never remember to bring my camera with me) Oh well, off to work on the tender.

maniac

Occupation
self employed metal building contractor
I am having a little problem with the clutch on my d206...the clutch will not Disengage until the machine warms up and then it works fine , when cold you cannot put it in gear and if you do get it in you can not get it out ,..if the wrong oil is in transmission , would it cause this??My manual says 10 w oil. I went to the tractor supply place here and they said that is just hydralic fluid..is this true??? I don't know whats in it now , but it seems a little thick for 10 w....any help on this would be greatly appreciated,,,Paul

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
10W engine oil not hydraulic oil in clutch reservoir and 10W in tranny up to 50 degree F then you are suppose to put in 30W for a range of 0 degrees to and up. Put in the 30 weight.

When you try to get it in gear does it just grind gears? If so you have to adjust (tighten) your intertia brake around your drive shaft.

Darin

KTBAUGH

Site Sponsor
HELLO MANIAC,

YOU ARE BETTER OFF RUNNING A 30W OR 15W40 MOTOR OIL IN THE MAIN CLUTCH HOUSING. YOU CAN ALSO RUN MOTOR OIL IN THE TRANS/REAR DIFFERENTIAL. HERE IN TEXAS WE RUN 90W GEAR OIL IN THE TRANS/REAR DIFFERENTIAL. YOU WILL SEE BETTER RESULTS WITH THE HEAVIER OIL IN THE CLUTCH HOUSING. I KNOW WHAT KOMATSU BOOKS SAY, BUT WE'VE WORKED ON 100'S OF THESE DOZERS AND OUR LOCAL KOMATSU DEALER CALLS US FOR ADVICE.

THANKS,

KENT BAUGH EQUIPMENT www.ktbaugh.com

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
Oops...

Attachments

• dm business cards.pdf
    82.2 KB · Views: 393
Last edited:

Glock

HELLO MANIAC,

YOU ARE BETTER OFF RUNNING A 30W OR 15W40 MOTOR OIL IN THE MAIN CLUTCH HOUSING. YOU CAN ALSO RUN MOTOR OIL IN THE TRANS/REAR DIFFERENTIAL. HERE IN TEXAS WE RUN 90W GEAR OIL IN THE TRANS/REAR DIFFERENTIAL. YOU WILL SEE BETTER RESULTS WITH THE HEAVIER OIL IN THE CLUTCH HOUSING. I KNOW WHAT KOMATSU BOOKS SAY, BUT WE'VE WORKED ON 100'S OF THESE DOZERS AND OUR LOCAL KOMATSU DEALER CALLS US FOR ADVICE.

THANKS,

KENT BAUGH EQUIPMENT www.ktbaugh.com

KT, are you able to drain clutch housing through inspection plate or do you need to remove belly pan to gain access. Also would you recommend cleaning filter at the same time?
Thanks Glen

KTBAUGH

Site Sponsor
Hello,

there should be a plate you can remove from the rear belly pan to get to the drain plug on the clutch housing. It is not a bad idea to clean the filter while you are in the area. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

kent baugh equipment www.ktbaugh.com

maniac

Occupation
self employed metal building contractor
Thanks Darin and KT., I guess I will drain it and try straight 30w . I can't find 10W around here anywhere..I don't know whats in there now so better safe than sorry...I don't know if its the band or not , more like plates sticking together because when I press clutch it keeps pulling , after about 10 min or so it starts working right ?? it doesn't set up alot and its like that everyday if you are useing it everyday...I have adjusted linkage just like it shows in the shop manual , I just thought if it had the wrong oil in it , it might cause this...one more question if you don't mind...can you run hydralic fluid in the resovoir for the blade??? it says 10w oil also...Hope I'm not asking to many questions at once or repeating something thats been said before in the forum,,,,thanks again , Paul

Glen2

Occupation
retired
I donot know if I am in the right place for my question, but here gos. I have a D21p. I have a crack that has been welded and cracked again on the front fork that holds and lifts the blade. I was told that there was a kit available to repair this. Anybody know anything about this? Thanks, G

MrKomatsu

Hello...i've worked for a Komatsu dealer for many yrs....I 2 have noe heard of a kit..but there is a parts and service news bulliten on th e repair procedure. i will find it and post it for u ...

Ron

Terminology ??

If a machine is needing "pins and bushings", is that referring to the hydraulic cylinders and other pivot points of moving parts or to the pins that hold the links of the track together?

BTW, very thankful for this forum. Would love to know the cumulative years of experience represented here.:notworthy

MrKomatsu

27yrs.heavy equip. repair here.........you are correct and also the undercarraige would come under the pin/bushing group....