• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Section for komatsu d20,21 and similar grey market dozers

Krackerjack9

Occupation
working in Iraq right now
not yet but its on my list, if things go well Nick might be coming over today and he built a ripper for his dozer so those bolt holes might be of some use. also a better seat is going to have to go in.

Defekt

Occupation
Small Business Owner, Mech Engineer in a prev life
not yet but its on my list, if things go well Nick might be coming over today and he built a ripper for his dozer so those bolt holes might be of some use. also a better seat is going to have to go in.
Looking forward to heading out that way, im sure it will be good to go tomorrow. Gotta get 3 kids(9yo,2.5yo, and 1.5yo) to daycare, fix the pipe that the dumpster guy ran over at my moms yesterday, then I'm headed out. Made more progress on the root plow, should help with white brush tremendously. I also ordered a set of scv hydraulic multipliers that I'm going to plumb in.

Krackerjack9

Occupation
Thanks for coming by you were right just a turn here and another turn on that other arm and pedal comes up about 3/4 of way then about 2 to 3 seconds latter its all the way up, Hope those tracks work out for you.

Kevin McCoy

I am putting new steering clutches in my D21A-6, does anyone know the Komatsu recommended procedure for setting the adjusting bolt on the throwout yoke? I can't find info on it in the manual under the powertrain adjustments or the section on clutch assembly.

Don Shilling

Occupation
Retired, multi occupation
I am putting new steering clutches in my D21A-6, does anyone know the Komatsu recommended procedure for setting the adjusting bolt on the throwout yoke? I can't find info on it in the manual under the powertrain adjustments or the section on clutch assembly.
When I rebuilt my clutches I did not alter the bolt. There is no reason to readjust it from the factory setting especially with new clutch discs.

Kevin McCoy

When I rebuilt my clutches I did not alter the bolt. There is no reason to readjust it from the factory setting especially with new clutch discs.
That sounds like good advice!! however in my quest to get all moving parts unstuck and lubed up I ran the bolts out cleaned them and applied never-seize thinking I would just adjust per instructions, I did not count threads to reset as they were. Interesting that there is an adjustment bolt with not instructions for setting clearance. I will let you know what I find out.

Don Shilling

Occupation
That sounds like good advice!! however in my quest to get all moving parts unstuck and lubed up I ran the bolts out cleaned them and applied never-seize thinking I would just adjust per instructions, I did not count threads to reset as they were. Interesting that there is an adjustment bolt with not instructions for setting clearance. I will let you know what I find out.
Unless someone can measure theirs, maybe check with a salvage company if they have one opened up so they can get a measurement.

Krackerjack9

Occupation
Here are some pics of the risers, grubber, root rake I've built so far.
I got some shoes that came off a 860 loader their about 5ft long and almost a inch thick so im going to get a grubber made first and see how that works then try one of those root rakes, the bottom is 4inch box steel and the uprights are 3in then the plate 1/2in on the uprights support, then the rippers you cut out of 1/2in plate or 3/4, looks like at least 1500lbs, I like the pin attachment makes it pretty easy, my welder buddy is going to love making this

Don Shilling

Occupation
I found a pic of my clutch assembly. Maybe this will help set up your adjusting bolt.
DSCN0203.JPG

cxprestige

That setting is in the section for Bevel Gear,not in the steering clutch section (don't ask me why).
Here's a screen shot of the diagram. Dimension "a" should be 121 mm, measured from the machine center.
Hope this helps!Clutch-fork-setting.jpg

cxprestige

That diagram and the spec are in the Shop Manual--don't know if it's the same book as your Service Manual. It's in the section on bevel gear--I guess if the bevel gear (ring & pinion) is replaced, those clearances may change and the throwout yokes have to be re-centered. Why didn't they put it in the steering clutch chapter?!

Kevin McCoy

Dozer Steers!.MOV
Here is one Happy 4th. of July 2020, rolled the D-21A-6 out of the shop after 2 years and clutch replacement, she steers smooth as silk. Finally got enough roundtuits to get it done with help from DM Machinery and Don Schilling. Guess I am not going to get the Video posted that I took.

Kevin McCoy

steering clutch.JPG

Wanted to point out the only issue I had replacing my clutches, in the above picture item 16 got flipped on one side when installing the clutch covers. I noticed I had a problem when I adjusted the brakes up and backed them off 4 turns, one linkage felt normal, the one with flipped linkage was way too loose, fortunately you can correct this without taking the top cover back off, just reach down with a bar and flip the dog into position through the brake adjustment hole.