• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Scratch built toys

SJModels

Great job with your models, are they static? Are you going to the Con-Ag this year? I have been making static models of mining equipment for a couple of years. Looking for ways to sell them. Scott

Iron Art

Occupation
Retired power plant control operator
Scott, Nice work!!! Are you going to put a little color on them? I'm aways torn between just leaving them in the raw state or powder coating the finished model. Check out the Garden trucking forum site and check out the RC models the guys are building like yours with all functions operable. Great work! Fred

SJModels

Fred,
I think I'm not going to paint them, I don't like painting. They take on a different look being raw. I have been a fan of Garden trucking, that would be a fun next level. I'll need more shop space, I like that idea! Are you working on anything new? Post some pictures. Scott

Iron Art

Occupation
Scott, I agreee with your position on the paint, some models are better left unpainted. Next project isn't final as of yet, cound be a Hayes or pacific trk or a skidder such as seen on Swamp loggers. I do have a couple other projects that need some attention so it may be awhile before starting a new project. I did attend a Farm and Construction Toy show this past weekend, the Madill drew a lot of interest and reconition. Fred

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
Gatorguy, I could build you a TL150 but it would be at least a year away due to other commitmants. By then there probably will be a decent Die Cast version available. Fred

Big difference from your hand made art and some diecast from China I would love a Lull telehandler made form you.

Occupation
Sprinkler fitter
Hi Fred ..Just recentley signed up here on HEF ...Will start a new thread as soon as i have enough posts under my belt ..been still tinkering away at my pacific and lowboy and hope to have some new pictures in the next few weeks ...let me know when and if you need pics of pacific and i will send you what i have...gla to help anytime ...BTW the yarder looks awsome ...looks as though you could turn key and start yarding ...cheers lou

Iron Art

Occupation
Tracksntreadslou, Good to see you here, theres lots of good info on this site and lots of great pictures. Still putting the truck build on the back burner while I build some steel, old time tractor wheels. Also working on a Tigercat swamp logger project , probably end up looking like a Big Bud, oh well !! Currently doing some drawings to get everything scaled out. Fred

Iron Art

Occupation
Check out Contract Loggers model collection on page 6 ot the Logging equipment thread in the Forestry section. Its amazing whats out there. Fred

Occupation
Sprinkler fitter
Fred ..Great choice ..gona be difficult to find rear tires for that skiddder if your thinking about building that tamdem...great show and always looking forward to the next episode...check with Jhaul at the garden and he be able to custom make them for you...Looking forward to your build ...Cheers Lou

Iron Art

Occupation
Lou, I'm working on the 630D Tigercat which has the single rear axle. It would be a cool build to construct a 635D which has the duel rear axle setup. As you said the tires are a problem in that model (635D) but I have purchased tires (8) from Dakota that will work great for constructing the 630D in 1/16 scale. Been thinking about chains, probably need about a 100 feet to make a full set, maybe more. I am kinda getting the cart in front of the horse as I am still working on some drawings with a minimun amount of info that I have available. Also watching the Cat skidder build on the Garden. Fred

Iron Art

Occupation
The Madill on rubber is 1/20, the tank mount madill as well as the American shovel are 1/24. The tractors were built from pictures so the scale is kinda like winged it , they were built on proportions only. I don't know what scale Scott used on his models. Fred

Iron Art

Occupation
Built this John Deere a couple of years ago but didn't like the wheels so I built new ones this week. Tractor is all steel. Fred
dscn15772.jpg

Iron Art

Occupation
Cutting the tires is a clever solution to the problem for width, what do you use for the adheasive, some sort of rubber cement

Boy that web site has the best selection of tires that I've seen.
Fred

Last edited:

SJModels

The hobby store has the glue, its made for gluing the tire to the rim. I think it's just like superglue.