• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Sany

Kenskip1

Kenskip 1, you would be well served to consider the advice of our members, whether it be firsthand or not. Many construction workers network with other workers and it doesn't take long for word to get around of a poorly built brand. The fact that Sany doesn't have a lot of representation here should also be considered, if it were a good value and reliable there would likely be a number of our members who own them.

As CM1995 mentioned, this is an open forum. It's up to you to filter out the responses you get.

Steve, First of I meant know harm. However it gets under my skin when someone says something derogatory that is simply hearsay without anything to back up there statement. I say give them a chance to prove there worthiness. If they can't take the heat, then get them out of the kitchen.
And in closing, I want to apologize if I stepped on anyone toes. As mentioned I meant know disrespect for the good people with mechanical knowledge that you share with others on this great forum. Thank you, Ken

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
What frustrates me is that these Chinese companies create very little in most cases, what they do is rip technology from around the world. With the backing of the Chinese gov, patents mean little to them. They steal intellectual secrets from companies and governments and build everything from ultrasonic weapon systems, to front end loaders. and compete against the companies that they stole the technology from. What I am pretty certain about, is they will get quality right, and already have in many respects. When time, effort and money can be spent on refining the manufacturing process, and not spent on R&D (that was paid for by the company they ripped the tech from) it is only a matter of time that they dial it in.

What I am curious of is given the evolving geopolitical issues that are here and on the horizon, how will that effect the business aspect of doing business with China? What happens when China takes Taiwan (and they will, I have no doubt)? China has the world by the short hairs in many respects, they simply provide too much to us and the rest of the world. So while every heavy equipment OEM has items made in China, those supply chains will likely be an issue moving forward if things get hostile. However, what about owning an entire piece of equipment that comes from a Chinese company? Look at what Russia's grip on fossil fuels is having on Europe, just think if Russia made the majority of items that everyone around the world used.....like China? Getting back to the point at hand, even if Sany was better than anything else made in the world, I personally, wouldn't buy it. It is nearly impossible to buy anything of substance that isn't touched by China in some way, but somethings I do have control over and this would be one of those things.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The only aspect of business that China has on anyone else is labor costs and that is starting to fade away. Textile production is moving all over the world now because Chinese laborers are demanding better conditions and better pay. Check the tags next time you are shopping for clothes to see where it was made.

The cost football is going to get kicked all over the world. China is trying to use their capital to leverage other country's natural resources. They will find out like Japan did, that just because you buy their building or build some highways or improve their ports, it doesn't mean a third world country won't just take over those assets and not pay you or give you favored treatment for very long. Think middle eastern oil for an example.

It's a world wide economy now and things are going to change at an ever increasing rate.

The ride through the next ten years is going to be exciting. Stay calm, monitor and adjust.

djordje1

In my area they offer 5 years 5000 hours warranty, they started producing Telehandlers in Germany for Us market
Sany is owner of Putzmeister concrete pumps too

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I did find it interesting that they basically own most of Putzmeister. They must be serious about some things. I have seen my share of Chinese junk that could not be serviced by anybody. And was built doomed to fail from the start. Mostly it had no name though. They are trying to make a name and that is good for the user into the future, usually. However, some outfits just sell junk to the homeowner market knowing it will not get many hours. And the customers keep coming back, thank you sir may I have another. Time will tell which camp Sany is in but I do not want to be the guinea pig.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I think Sany is in it for real. They appear to me to be committed to making it work in NA and all over the world. The Chinese play the long game. They certainly know it will take a generation to make in roads here and it likely take at least that long and a lot of cash, but I think they will play it through. They offer long warranties and a cheap price as the motivation to try them out. We will all see how that works.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Sany has had a presence in one form or another for over 15 years in Australia. Liugong has been here longer.
In the early 90's Korean machines came on the market, Hyundai, Daiwoo now Doosan are still here. From the get go they were rubbished but over time there seems be an acceptance and are considered honest machines.

skyking1

Off topic, but I had one experience with the early Daewoo and it was well and truly a dog. It did things at the end of operating ranges that no Cat, Hitachi, Komatsu did, scary things. I don't know enough about the pumps to know why, but it was bad berries.

JPSouth

I see a few of them appearing here, mostly in the 5T-6T class. A few years ago, a municipal project either bought or rented a substantial sized tele crane which has been on site for some time. I saw 3 appear this year on Craigslist with well under 1000 hours on them, I guess that might say something. A local new/used machinery dealer apparently is a dealer, part of a chain of storefronts in CO, MT and NE. I have not seen anything built by them firsthand, only know what I've heard. I prefer running older equipment, anyway, so other than keeping up with the tech and occasionally operating new stuff for friends' projects when they're short-handed I'm out of the loop.

diver

Occupation
retired
I am purchasing a sany sy16 .. It came in at 27,400 with thumb.. I recently moved to SC and have the need of a backhoe for the property.. The price was right for me and all i could afford. I sure will update with any problems . This machine will be not be used commercially and mostly used in clay and sand .

keif

I am purchasing a sany sy16 .. It came in at 27,400 with thumb.. I recently moved to SC and have the need of a backhoe for the property.. The price was right for me and all i could afford. I sure will update with any problems . This machine will be not be used commercially and mostly used in clay and sand .
Not as inexpensive as I thought they'd be, $1000 less then I paid for a similar weight Takeuchi with hydraulic thumb, quick hitch and two buckets. That was 2019 though so the Take may be more now.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
Will be awaiting you reports on it's performance. This type of info is what we really need to see how these things work out over the long run. Good luck and keep all of us here on the forum updated.

Txhayseed

Go out to your Cat/deere/Case or what ever. Take off every part made in china. Then go out to your ford/dodge / Chevy you pull it with and take off every Chinese made part. Then the trailer you put it on. What do you got left. Not a whole hell of a lot.. Global economy, global products. You think cat or Deere has some American putting together hydraulic pumps and motors... Nope all built in china. But the box says xyz so you feel good. Same factory built 50 pumps that day for cat then 50 for Deere and so on and so on. Thats every manufacturer no matter who it is. Sany uses all those very same components made by the same people day in and day out. Sany has a huge parts/ distribution center in Houston now. Anyone who is saying china this china that junk this junk that. Not me not ever. Truly has no clue about how the modern equipment business works, operates and revolves from supply to finished product. Its just make you feel good to have a dealer you can pull into and have parts and warranty. Unless your out of warranty you just paying that dealer to give you said china made part to you with a smile and 90 percent mark up. But what ever makes you feel good. Personally I wouldn't think twice about buying a sany product. Less capitol invested more return on said investment. More money in my pocket. If your in this business your already know your machine has a set life expectancy. Ive never bought a skid, mini or back hoe expecting it to last a lifetime. I go into it knowing if its not getting worked and worked hard its not paying me back. If i can work a machine that cost me 30% less to own and still recoup the same returns I don't care what stickers are on it. 2 of the top rental companies in the US started investing in Sany. But thats not surprising since they run a business and run a business knowing how the world wide machinery industry operates.

Kenskip1

Very well said. This is what I have been trying to pass on however many others have the blinders on and refuse to take notice. They see the name and instantly go into the defensive mode. BTW, look at your tv remote, GPS, and many other electronics. Most made in China. Not to mention cordless power tools, the list grows. Ken

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
There is a lot to unload in that post.

I will just say don't forget to do the math on the total value. You paid 30% less up front. What is its value when you rotate it out? That may change in the future, but today, you would be lucky to only lose 30% on the back end.

Txhayseed

Very true that is a factor KSSS. One has to consider that into their over all purchase and long term business financials. But im my experience trading in a machine is like trading in a work truck. I already know im on the back side of it and i plan that in. Luckily with new machines costing what they do these days the used market stays pretty hot. At least in my area. Ive had just as good of luck selling them outright to guys looking for an affordable used machine to get started with or expand with. Usually after 3-3500 hrs with 90% of it with a breaker im expecting a lower price on resale or trade

Vetech63

LOL This looks interesting! Alot more Sany stuff is showing up here in Eastern OK. A month ago, I saw 2 MASSIVE lattice boom Sany cranes on a big construction job here, bought buy a major and reputable general contractor. I remember when I saw them being shocked and thinking "Good luck with that!"

I have no dog in the fight here. All I DO have is past experience with Chinese equipment 20+ years ago. Back then they were cheap AF. The metallurgy was horrible, and the cotton insulated electrical wiring just need a spark to be a catastrophe. Were these machines Sany?......No they weren't. I haven't even seen a Sany anything up close, but I know contractors that have rented them recently, or have purchased. The bad reviews outweighed the good 2 to 1. The last report I got was a brand-new excavator on a turnpike expansion job here about 3 years ago. I saw it work for 1 week...........then sat over a ditch line for almost 2 months. I was told it was worthless and that the contractor was waiting for it to be picked up. It had broken down something major and there was no support.

It's well known that the Chinese have always been copiers of other manufacturers across the board. They never innovate anything; they just copy with cheaper labor and materials and manage to undercut competitors. If you really want to see it, just look through the threads where someone has bought a brand-new copied part for their equipment that doesn't work like it's supposed to. I have to believe the equipment is the same way.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Go out to your Cat/deere/Case or what ever. Take off every part made in china. Then go out to your ford/dodge / Chevy you pull it with and take off every Chinese made part. Then the trailer you put it on. What do you got left. Not a whole hell of a lot.. Global economy, global products. You think cat or Deere has some American putting together hydraulic pumps and motors... Nope all built in china. But the box says xyz so you feel good. Same factory built 50 pumps that day for cat then 50 for Deere and so on and so on. Thats every manufacturer no matter who it is. Sany uses all those very same components made by the same people day in and day out. Sany has a huge parts/ distribution center in Houston now. Anyone who is saying china this china that junk this junk that. Not me not ever. Truly has no clue about how the modern equipment business works, operates and revolves from supply to finished product. Its just make you feel good to have a dealer you can pull into and have parts and warranty. Unless your out of warranty you just paying that dealer to give you said china made part to you with a smile and 90 percent mark up. But what ever makes you feel good. Personally I wouldn't think twice about buying a sany product. Less capitol invested more return on said investment. More money in my pocket. If your in this business your already know your machine has a set life expectancy. Ive never bought a skid, mini or back hoe expecting it to last a lifetime. I go into it knowing if its not getting worked and worked hard its not paying me back. If i can work a machine that cost me 30% less to own and still recoup the same returns I don't care what stickers are on it. 2 of the top rental companies in the US started investing in Sany. But thats not surprising since they run a business and run a business knowing how the world wide machinery industry operates.

The difference is not the parts that are made in China per se, it's the difference between an American company and a Chinese company. The Chinese business philosophy may have changed in the recent years but I'm not willing to gamble my hard earned money at this stage of my business career, no sense in changing what works for a couple of dollars. In my 20 years experience of owing and operating equipment the purchase price is the cheapest component of equipment O&O. Parts, service, fuel and labor far exceed the cost of initial purchase price.

Equipment Share rentals is running Sanys here in their rental fleet and I've seen a few on sites rented by other contractors. Company putting the gas tanks in on a truck stop we are working on rented a 365 to dig the tank holes. After watching it work and doing a walk around I was not impressed.

And before the flame starts - I've been to China twice and visited many electronics factories with a former business partner. This was the mid 2000's. Went to Hong Kong, Guangzhou, Shenzhen and Beijing. Even flew China Air while inside the country - that was interesting.

Went to the Canton Fair in Guangzhou where a company had a very poor copy of a D7R in the parking lot. Horrible quality. The Canton Fair at that time was a giant trade show that was not equipment centric, that D7R was the largest machine on display.

Everything American there was a copy - Coke, Marlboros, Jack Daniels - you name it was fake. The Chinese just have a different business philosophy that I was able to see first hand that just doesn't align with mine. Now that may have changed but there is no reason for me to give it a shot at this stage of my game.

Just my $.02 on spending my hard earned dollars without any blinders on - YMMV.

Last edited:

zeroo

Charter Member
Occupation
plumbing contractor
The only aspect of business that China has on anyone else is labor costs.
No, they have no epa or environmental regulations. Which is one reason everything is made there. American companies molding any kind of plastic or dealing with chemicals can have their products made there with no cost on recapturing and treating.