• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

S. Madill, Blacksmith, Founded in 1911 in Nanaimo BC

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
Murk,good memory. GY 2 did go over the bank. John McQuinn was operator and his dad,**** McQuinn was running loader in same landing. Tough on **** to watch helpless as son goes over,no injuries.

Blk prince

Occupation
DD, do you recall the GY you worked on in Nitinat? If it was still yellow then it was GY 1 and had the cab on the left hand side.I have a picture on the lowbed,just waiting to meet with HDX to learn how to post.

crisco6255

Occupation
hooktender/timbertramp
Does any one have or know the measurement of a 009 building a scale model just need some basic measurements like the width of the house over the drums and the drums

donkey doctor

Occupation
retired
It was yellow Blk prince but that's about all I remember about it. Don't know how I got in on the downdrive job as I hadn't had anything to do with building the machine.I was building 009s in the plant at that time but I guess they couldn't find another willing body. d.d.

donkey doctor

Occupation
retired
image-20.jpg Another 1 of several posters they were giving away at the Truck Loggers convention in I think about 2007 which would be the last one before they went bust. I couldn't get the whole poster in the scanner but these are the best parts of them. d.d.

Last edited:

Murk100

Occupation
30 yrs GY Operator
Check out page 5 #71 of this thread, the first pic I believe is the 2nd 044, the build list shows it as M&B Port McNeil...the last pic on this post I believe is the first 044. I zoomed in and it appears to have the LH cab (maybe some one scanned the slide backwards)???
Question is the GY 1 in Davie Jones locker or did it get cut up for scrap????
DD that barge pic is not 044 #1 I think it is #10 or so, I have the drawings for it. Different boom, some of the things I recognise from Nanaimo Lks are the extra fuel tank add on and a set off rabbit ears on the haulback fairlead...like most people I didn't keep track of serial#s or take enough pictures.
DD I had the pleasure of helping do a travel set on the 044 as well, I still have nightmares..lol

DD, do you recall the GY you worked on in Nitinat? If it was still yellow then it was GY 1 and had the cab on the left hand side.I have a picture on the lowbed,just waiting to meet with HDX to learn how to post.

Murk100

Occupation
30 yrs GY Operator
Page 9 post 130 this thread is the GY2 from Nitinat, this was in the Nanaimo Lks bone yard. Correction on the Serial # 47002 I had it as 47003
I operated it about 87 for Malibu Logging you can see the updated machine.
Last pics were Friel Lk loggings 044 Nootka Island about 1990 Don't no the serial but it was sure heavy...
Looking forward to seeing your photo of the GY 1 lowbed/

Murk,did you run machine at CZ Nitinat?I was there until barge sank in 1980. We had what I think was the first Madill 044 as it had the cab on the left side. Ed Lewis got it new as GY I then he got GY 2 and Archie White took the 01.We brought GY 01 to camp for the last time with boom straight up as drum was screwed. Then Archie got GY 12 a new American,7280 I believe

Blk prince

Occupation
DD,did you see or work on BCB machine. Madill Yarder and loader combination. Hydraulic boom mounted at base of tower and had two cabs. Loader was operated by Skip Baker,not sure who ran tower. I ended taking It to Coleman Dump for barge up coast and no idea what happened to it.
Murk, GY 01 was scrapped before Nitinat closed. Skewing ring was worn out and gantry drum was also thrashed. Cut up for scrap and replaced by American,7280 I think.

donkey doctor

Occupation
retired
Hi Murk. I know the machine on the barge is not a real early one. The first ones had the really boxy booms built from formed plate before they went to 6x6 square tube. As you said the early ones were very heavy. Changing the boom and cutting the front end of the carrier back so it didn't go right out as far as the track frames as well as changes to the gantry were part of the weight loss progam. Tha'ts interesting that the barge machine was from Nanaimo lakes. Wonder where it was going. Speaking of down drives, I never did one on my own. I only ever went along as a helper. Same with swingers, avoided all the bevel gears except angle drives and diffs. After using excuse I had never done a down drive several times to avoid them the service manager said "we should send you out to do one so you learn how to do them." I told him " You're not listening I don't want to learn how to do them". Don't recall him asking again. Picture on page 5 definitly has the cab on the left . Don't think you can change sides by reversing the picture. Regards.d.d.

donkey doctor

Occupation
retired
Hi Blk prince. Re. the combination tower/loader. It was built before my time at Madill and I never ran across it. Heard lots about it tho. Did it have a Skagit winch on it by chance. Around the plant it was known as the Skadill. In the early days before my time and before they built their own winch they used whatever the customer had. Over the years as the old winches wore out they were removed and replaced with Madills in a lot of cases. I did at least 3 over the years, Sointula, Holburg and up the east side of Harrison lake. Regards. d.d.

Blk prince

Occupation
Donkey doctor,I can not tell you about the winch. Once I post pics,can you tell by looking as to what winch is in the machine?

dunwurken

DD,did you see or work on BCB machine. Madill Yarder and loader combination. Hydraulic boom mounted at base of tower and had two cabs. Loader was operated by Skip Baker,not sure who ran tower. I ended taking It to Coleman Dump for barge up coast and no idea what happened to it.
Murk, GY 01 was scrapped before Nitinat closed. Skewing ring was worn out and gantry drum was also thrashed. Cut up for scrap and replaced by American,7280 I think.

Back in about '67 '68 I set chokers on that machine in Nitinat if that's the one your talking about. Running the loader at the same time as trying to button up a choker could be hazardous to you health. I believe at that time it was Brown's son that run yarder. Not sure, I didn't stick that one out very long. Very steep dangerous setting. Downhill yarding and the haulback got siwashed under a couple of gunbarrels and sent them down the hill at us. Hooktender wouldn't let us go up the hill on a new road and clear any of these hazards. I recall in those days standing on Trunk Rd in Duncan in front of where Doman's office was at 5:00AM waiting for our crummy which was basically a retired bread truck. In those days there was crummies going to every camp. Nitinat, Caycuse, Gordon River, Hillcrest, Shawnigan. Lots of guys milling around. Wasn't unusual for a green guy to get on the wrong crummy and end up in the wrong camp. We couldn't mistake ours because, well, it was a retired bread truck. Don't know what was worse the jumpy rigging the runaways coming down the hill or the bread truck.

Blk prince

Occupation
Dunwurken,you were right about the crummy and the rigging. Hooker should have been Stan M. As for greenhorn on wrong crummy,it did not matter if you got on wrong crummy as there would be a job in any camp back then. Also this was a real B**** to get onto a lowbed and heavier than any other Yarder I hauled.

Last edited:

dunwurken

Blk prince,I don't recall the Hooker. I do recall we had a quota to hit by the end of the week. If we got the quota we had amateur day. Everyone switched jobs. Hooker ran yarder, yarding engineer set chokers, chaser was the hooker etc. I think the chokerman rate then was $ 2.10 an hour. Doesn't seem like much but then a case of beer was $ 2.10 (Old Style) gas was .30 cents a gallon, cigarettes where about 30 cents. Other big difference is the government wasn't as deep in our pockets as they are now. We got to keep more of our earnings. You were right about ending up in the wrong camp. Jobs where easy to come by. I recall one year I had 11 T4 slips. Mostly camp inspecting up and down the coast. Very seldom went back into the same camp after doing a 10 & 4 or 15 & 6 One time I worked Nitinat for a few weeks then moved to Gordon River for a few weeks then Mackenzies for a short while before ending up at Shawnigan only because each one was closer to home. Must have drove the woods foreman crazy trying to keep crews on the sides. Wouldn't have missed it for the world though. It was all a lot of fun. Met and worked with a lot of great folks.

Last edited: