• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

S. Madill, Blacksmith, Founded in 1911 in Nanaimo BC

Back choker

Hello,love this site it's great.the 046 was built out of two 046s about six years ago.the winch is from interfor 046-03.The pipe and carrier is from Vernon camp 046-24.i will round up some build photos and post soon.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
I see one of Arcata Redwood's big Madill swingers has made it's way to Ramsey's in Chehalis.

donkeydoc

I see one of Arcata Redwood's big Madill swingers has made it's way to Ramsey's in Chehalis.

i think the 046 package is holbrook dyson/horseman combined yarders and now belong to mallochs. i may be wrong?? yarder was in clahome falls doing a run of river hydro job a couple years back.

TorkelH

Arcata 044

I have borrowed the picture from Jeff on Facebook (hope it's ok). Not too many new 044's found their way to the US and most of them went back to BC long time ago. Would of course be interesting to know some more about this machine, for example if it was just parked somewhere in the weeds for the last 20 years...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 792
Last edited:

TorkelH

Here's another 044 in US, used import recently from VI

If you get tired of the 009 with just a couple of drums why not change it out with an 044 and get a six drums allright? Old 044 tag, no serial, mounted on 065 rubber tired carrier. Oregon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 793
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 786
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 766

donkeydoc

046/044

If you get tired of the 009 with just a couple of drums why not change it out with an 044 and get a six drums allright? Old 044 tag, no serial, mounted on 065 rubber tired carrier. Oregon.

you never know what is gonna show up next!!! saw an 071 with a 9L 1693 Cat in her a while back!

TorkelH

donkey doc and donkeydoctor: Do you know if Madill welded the serial numbers on at some special spots on their machines? Many carriers have a small plate in front, some 044/144 carriers have it welded on, but what about winches and towers? This would be very nice to know since I many times have tried to recognize machines lacking the build plate.

Kiwi Logger

Our 046s have the serials stamped on the towers on the back side on a flat from memory where the skidding line goes intobthe back of the tower. Along with a stamped plate above guyline controls and another on the cross member below the skidding drum if this helps.

donkey doctor

Occupation
retired
donkey doc and donkeydoctor: Do you know if Madill welded the serial numbers on at some special spots on their machines? Many carriers have a small plate in front, some 044/144 carriers have it welded on, but what about winches and towers? This would be very nice to know since I many times have tried to recognize machines lacking the build plate.
Hi Torkel. When I was doing 009 final assembly we welded a small 3/4 or1"x3"pc of FB with s/n stamped in it to the front left corner of the machine on the channel that the front saddle sat on. This was mainly just a reference number as we mostly had 3 or 4 machines being assembled at the same time and our hours had to be charged against the proper machine. Parts also. As I recall there was also a small s/n plate on the carrier put on by the supplier of the carrier. On the winch there was a s/n plate on the main frame below the main drum. The spec plate and maybe another s/n plate were on the valve bank mounting frame and I think there was a plate on the side of the a-frame near the valve bank. There was also a small stamped plate like the one on the front of the machine put on the bottom of the spar by the guys that built them again mainly to keep the time booked properly as they went through the system including the paint shop. The official s/n plates didn't go on until the final QC checks were done and it was possible but very unlikly a machine would have a different s/n than it was built under. 044 144 had a s/n welded on the tot of the carrier deck and onto the crossdrive housing as each housing was fitted and drilled to match a specific hull. The housing was then sent to another dept for assembly. Again we might be building 3 or 4 machines at the same time and each crossdrive had to go back on the right carrier when it came back for final assembly Also a matter of booking the hours to the right machine. I think we also used to put a little plate on the back corner of the hull. 071s had them on the on the angle iron that the decking sat in at the front of the machine. RT carriers had them on the front of the carrier. Again all these little plates were just for reference in the shop for time and parts charges. Don't know where or if the later machines were marked during building as I moved out of assembly and into field service. d.d.

Last edited: